Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Author Topic: Smoke me a kipper, I'll be back for breakfast - Fri 11Jun10  (Read 37884 times)

ChuckMcB

Sounds like a plan..

Doan is close enough to flat grassy area at the north of the Lough (if that's where we're planning on staying) to be an after dinner/before breakfast dander. Would recommend it for the morning, since the view's going to be better in the morning light (sun rise is at 0450am...who wants to watch the sun come up from the top of Doan?). Fri pm/Sat am are looking about the same weather wise.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

I haven't been up Ott either, although I have been on Carn, Meelbeg and Slieve L'shannagh before. 

My vote goes for Mourne Way > Ott > Carn then do a recce for a pitch around Lough Shannagh before popping up Doan for sunset!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

PS: Weather looks perfect for a bivvi!

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

It looks like a great route. We could even bounce up Slieve Lough Shannagh too just to cross it off!!

I haven't been up Ott either, although I have been on Carn, Meelbeg and Slieve L'shannagh before. 

My vote goes for Mourne Way > Ott > Carn then do a recce for a pitch around Lough Shannagh before popping up Doan for sunset!

Tim

• Top Poster

Sounds like a plan..

Doan is close enough to flat grassy area at the north of the Lough (if that's where we're planning on staying) to be an after dinner/before breakfast dander. Would recommend it for the morning, since the view's going to be better in the morning light (sun rise is at 0450am...who wants to watch the sun come up from the top of Doan?). Fri pm/Sat am are looking about the same weather wise.

I'm certainly up for a trip up Doan to watch the sunrise. Any idea of Numbers for this yet J?
Also, will anybody be heading from near Ballynahinch direction?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010 by Tim »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

5 for definite, maybe 6. I'm sure someone can get you from Ballynahinch. I'm a bit shy of seats in the car tho, maybe Suspectmonkey or Chuck could grab you. Don't panic either way, we never leave a man behind :)

Sounds like a plan..

I'm certainly up for a trip up Doan to watch the sunrise. Any idea of Numbers for this yet J?

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK

What time are you planing on coming down?

I have to be at work for 9am on saturday in belfast so not really sure if I could make it.

Really wish I could.
No one goes inside to clear their head

Scribble

• Hero Poster

I'm thinking of a quick up'n'down bivvy on Friday night. Meet somewhere 7ish, have a bit of a hike, some grub and a bit'o craic, then down first thing Saturday morning and home for breakfast. We were considering Agnews Hill in Antrim but secure parking might be an issue. However, I'm game for anywhere. We're now thinking of the Mournes as it's handier for everyone.

Anyone fancy?

Potentials
J
Andy1984
Matthewrblack
Suspectmonkey
Tim
Chuck

what time would you all be coming down of the hills at ?? would like to do this as a dry run before next friday. my bivvy has not arrive yet but i would be willing to risk it with my synthetic bag (i am no where near responsible for a down bag)
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Scribble

• Hero Poster

Sounds like a plan..

i would lift ya if this works out i  could cut a cross from banbridge maybe even call in and see my granny :)
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010 by andyd »

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

:AndyD and LennyJ1

I'd certainly aim to be back home by mid morning. At 5.5 miles theres probably a few hours of walk back to the cars and if we break camp at 7 or 8 then we'd hope to be back in Meelmore by 10 or 11. An earlier start is always possible I suppose.

Scribble

• Hero Poster

I'd certainly aim to be back home by mid morning. At 5.5 miles theres probably a few hours of walk back to the cars and if we break camp at 7 or 8 then we'd hope to be back in Meelmore by 10 or 11. An earlier start is always possible I suppose.
mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounding good

Tim

• Top Poster

Andy is there anywhere particularly handy around Ballynahinch or out Dromara or Annahilt direction for you to get me if you do come my direction?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

With weather like this it would be criminal not to ;)

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm sounding good

ChuckMcB

There is a quicker route back to Meelmore Lodge From Lough Shannagh (attached) if anyone wants a quick escape in the morning. Takes the route down to 3 miles. If folks are going to be up and kicking about from (before) day break, getting off the mountain would be possible by early morning.

my bivvy has not arrive yet
TKMax sell a TrekMates cheapy one for £20. (I took my £60 rab one back and have been using the cheapy one since)

I'm in Annahilt area if anyone still needs a lift.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010 by Chuck »

Scribble

• Hero Poster

Andy is there anywhere particularly handy around Ballynahinch or out Dromara or Annahilt direction for you to get me if you do come my direction?
message sent ;D
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]