Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: New member  (Read 5216 times)

Treadlox

• Newbie Poster
« on: July 01, 2010 »

Hello to everyone I am a new member and this is my first post.

My name is Tony I am located in the Belfast area and my interests/hobbies are anything and everything to that is outdoor related, Kayaking is something that I got into last year and I have an Islander paradise 2, great all round boat and the kids love it as well our lates outing was last weekend on Strangord lough at castle ward. I am giving some serious thought to buying a smallish sit in kayak that will do a bit of everything, sort of lower grade white water and maybe a little surf as well, any advice here is much appreciated.

I love walking climbing and camping, I suppose the sport closest to my heart is scrambling, I have spent a lot of time climbing and bouldering in Donegal mainly the Culdaff area and one of my most prized possessions is the Donegal climbing guide by local man Allan Tees, I have a huge amount of experience of scrambling and lower grade climbing in North Wales,  Snowdon and the Ogwen valley especially. To add to this I have obviously spent a fair bit of time in the mournes.

I have tried surfing and had a few lessons and absolutely love it but i dont have the time to dedicate to it so I am destined to spend more time under the water than on top of it.

I am new member and also new to forums so i hope this is in the right place and OK. "Here`s hoping".

Thanks

Its all about the journey not the destination.

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: New member
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2010 »

Welcome to the Forum
No one goes inside to clear their head

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 01, 2010 »

welcome along mate. If you know and scramblin routes in the moures I'd love to give them a blast.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #3 on: July 01, 2010 »

welcome along mate. If you know and scramblin routes in the moures I'd love to give them a blast.

I would really be up for that aswell

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2010 »

Welcome to the forum.

MikeD

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2010 »

Hi Tony, welcome to the forum, hopefully we can get organised for a weekend in Donegal soon and you can lead the way !!

ChuckMcB

« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2010 »

Welcome!

Treadlox

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2010 »

Wow, thanks to everyone for a really warm welcome and I am sorry its taken a while to reply . I was on a night shift. 

I dont know of any dedicated or graded scrambling routes in the Mournes I think its largley due to type of rock. It does`nt mean there are none  though, on a similar note there are huge fallen rocks and boulders near pigeon rock that hold a great suprise if you`ve never been there before especially if its wet. And the answer is yes I would love a day out.

MikeD, a weekend in Donegal? Thats a definate yes and i know a fantastic wild camping spot, there is even a tap for fresh water.. Do you have your own gear?  I am no Allan Hinkes now but i know my way around the lower grade stuff and I mostly like to top rope because of time constraints and old injuries.

Follow this link a and use the drop down menu for Dunmore and Dunowen.  http://www.pete-smith.co.uk/dynamic/guidebook/index.php

Cheers for now. Tony.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2010 »

I've yet to do a scramble but I'd be game for a try. Maybe we should take another Sunday aft up the Devils Coachroad for us beginners.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: July 02, 2010 »

Welcome mate. I'm up for any scrambling going on ;D
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

Treadlox

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2010 »

I`ll look at my diary and throw a date out there see if we can cobble something together, if anyone knows of a dedicated scrambling location let me know.

Good bouldering around Hen mountain, Good craic on Pigeon as well, or even set up a top rope and an ab-seil point on Wee Binnian. The latter option is good because anyone wanting to try abseiling or top rope climbing on higher grades up to E and then have a barbie and beer and a one night camp, there is a great spot near by. Options are there.  More the merrier i have a fair bit of gear as well there will be plenty to do anyone who wants to tag along would be more than welcome, kids too I can organize short introductory climbs,.

Again I dont know of any sustained scrambling in the mournes and the shorter stuff is almost crossing over into low grade bouldering (still a blast).

Sorry if I`m on a bit of tangent, Do I need to open this post in a different area. I am new so you can beat me when you see.

Tony.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2010 »

I use to have a full rack of climbing gear but sold the lot in a moment of madness. had it all boots, harness, quick draws, cams and nuts. I still have a 11mm rope which I used only a couple of times.

I would be up for scrambling so I dont have to much gear to buy (just a harness) (maybe)

I LOVE BUYING KIT!!!!

MY WIFE DONT!!!!

Treadlox

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: July 02, 2010 »

Buying kit ??  me too, that well known auction site has it's name changed to eBloodybay in our house , and it completey takes my wife to the fair that most of the staff in jakson sports, Cotswold camping, Armstrong bike dock and chain reaction are on first name terms with me. That privelage didn't come cheap I can tell you.

My wife says that's more crap you've bought that'll end up the hobbie grave yard. (my garage)

Oh did I mention I mountain bike too ?

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]