Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: So whats in Dowser's Ruck?  (Read 45955 times)

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: So whats in Dowser's Ruck?
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2010 »

Just noticed no Camera or food.

I'm gonna be rethinking my Nikon D80 DSLR.  It's to big to be practical in a rucksack and the slightest hint of rain I'm tucking it away. Missed some great shots on the ridge crossing in Kerry because of the rain/hail.  I'm gonna be doing a bit of research into a top quality compact.  I'll be using the Nikon for the next few weeks, if I'm out, or my Nokia phone.  The Nokia actually has a great camera with all the usual options.

Food changes every time I go out... Sometimes it's Sirloin Steak with all the trimmings, other times it's Super Noodles and Kebab Meat.

Once I've developed the constitution of a Billy Goat I'll be able to survive on Wild Heather Soup and Nettles according to the SAS Handbook, therefore no need to carry food  ;D

Nettles soup  :( would not be going near that
No one goes inside to clear their head

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2010 »

I'm gonna be rethinking my Nikon D80 DSLR.  It's to big to be practical in a rucksack and the slightest hint of rain I'm tucking it away. Missed some great shots on the ridge crossing in Kerry because of the rain/hail.  I'm gonna be doing a bit of research into a top quality compact.

I've been looking into the same thing, as my 50D rarely makes it into the hills as its pretty bulky and quite heavy.  Been looking at a Panasonic LX3 for awhile now, and I think now is the time to buy as the LX5 is on the way and the price difference is fairly significant!  Best deal I've spotted is on Amazon.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2010 »

You're just looking for an excuse to get a Nikon ;)

I'm gonna be rethinking my Nikon D80 DSLR.  It's to big to be practical in a rucksack and the slightest hint of rain I'm tucking it away. Missed some great shots on the ridge crossing in Kerry because of the rain/hail.  I'm gonna be doing a bit of research into a top quality compact.

I've been looking into the same thing, as my 50D rarely makes it into the hills as its pretty bulky and quite heavy.  Been looking at a Panasonic LX3 for awhile now, and I think now is the time to buy as the LX5 is on the way and the price difference is fairly significant!  Best deal I've spotted is on Amazon.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2010 »

Think I'm gonna go for this Bad Boy: Leica Digital D-lux 4

Maybe not from Wilkinson's but I will shop around  8)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2010 »

I'm gonna be rethinking my Nikon D80 DSLR.  It's to big to be practical in a rucksack and the slightest hint of rain I'm tucking it away. Missed some great shots on the ridge crossing in Kerry because of the rain/hail.  I'm gonna be doing a bit of research into a top quality compact.

I've been looking into the same thing, as my 50D rarely makes it into the hills as its pretty bulky and quite heavy.  Been looking at a Panasonic LX3 for awhile now, and I think now is the time to buy as the LX5 is on the way and the price difference is fairly significant!  Best deal I've spotted is on Amazon.

Okay... The rethink has been done and I actually decided against the Lecia.  However, I did go for the Lumix 5. Got quite a good deal here:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11394

And if you use the Promotional Code "BTS6OFF" you get another £6 off your order  :o

Turns out they were useless.  Do not go anywhere near Simply Electronics.  Hong Kong based pretenting to be UK based.  Was lucky to get my money back!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2010 by Dowser »
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #20 on: September 02, 2010 »

Okay... The rethink has been done and I actually decided against the Lecia.  However, I did go for the Lumix 5. Got quite a good deal here:

http://www.simplyelectronics.net/mainproduct.php?pid=11394

And if you use the Promotional Code "BTS6OFF" you get another £6 off your order  :o

I think you were wise not to go for the Lecia.  I know we discussed this a while back in a different thread, but essentially the compact digital Lecia's are just re-badged Panasonics with a premium price added for the iconic red Lecia symbol.  I love Lecia cameras as much as the next person, but I just can't justify the extra cost.

Great price you got on the LX5, thats a good deal.  I had seen them priced much higher, which is why I was looking at the LX3, but at that price there is so little in it that its worth getting the newer model.  Looking forward to seeing it :)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: September 02, 2010 »

I think you were wise not to go for the Lecia.  I know we discussed this a while back in a different thread, but essentially the compact digital Lecia's are just re-badged Panasonics with a premium price added for the iconic red Lecia symbol.  I love Lecia cameras as much as the next person, but I just can't justify the extra cost.

Yeah... I had the exact same converstaion with J this morning on Messenger.  This review, from somebody who seems to know what they are talking about swung it for me:

"There is no difference between the LX3 and D-Lux4. There was a rumor about different lens coatings and some other nonsense, but the only differences were the warranty (length and coverage), packaging, perceived resale, and software. I have owned both, and still have the D-Lux4. Excellent P&S cameras, but the D-Lux4 is not a Leica in the traditional sense. It's a Pany. The only compact camera (digital) that is a true Leica is the X1.

Considering the price difference and feature set differences between the LX5 and LX3, I would probably get the latter. If the Red Dot is important, get the D-Lux4.

If it would be your only camera, it might be worth getting the LX5 (or waiting to see if a Leica rebadging appears)."

You would need to be insane to pay £200 for a red dot.  My 2 year old can draw me a red dot with a crayon and I'll stick it on with Prit Stic  ;D

From what I've read my Nikon SB-600 Speedlight will also fit snuggly on top of the LX5 and be fully funtional in manual mode, not TTL mode.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2010 by Dowser »
See the View

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #22 on: September 02, 2010 »

Your missing the point though, It's £200 for a leica much more than a dot! ;D

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2010 »

Did you get the prices on you kit????

I was gonna do the same thing with mine just to see what mine would work out as.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2010 »

I was gonna do the same thing with mine just to see what mine would work out as.

I've been very busy with work this week... I will try and get something up this evening.  No promises though  ::)
See the View

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2010 »

I've been very busy with work this week... I will try and get something up this evening.  No promises though  ::)

ach come on man, no excuses (only messin). Not a problem

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2010 »

forgot to say, did you get a compact camera?

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2010 »

forgot to say, did you get a compact camera?

Yeah... I went for the Lumix LX5: http://www.jessops.com/online.store/products/77963/show.html

Looks like a great piece of kit... If Royal Mail get their finger out it should be in my Ruck by tomorrow  ;D

I will try and get most of the prices up tonight for my gear.  I'm just gonna edit the original list in my first post, so keep an eye out there.
See the View
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]