Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: NI greenways plan 'needs major investment'  (Read 4667 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
NI greenways plan 'needs major investment'
« on: November 09, 2016 »

A charity that campaigns to get people out of their cars has welcomed proposals for 1,000 km (620 miles) of greenways, but says major investment is needed to make them a reality.

Sustrans says the network of walking and cycling routes could have huge benefits.

It adds it will take "long-term capital investment" by the Stormont Executive.

Sustrans was responding to the launch of a strategic plan for a path network in Northern Ireland.

Infrastructure minister Chris Hazzard is making £160,000 available to councils which want to work up detailed proposals.
#

Read the rest here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-37912117

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: NI greenways plan 'needs major investment'
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016 »

It looks like this has been approved.

http://www.4ni.co.uk/northern-ireland-news/221836/1-000km-of-greenways-approved

It's fantastic news if it does go ahead. I regularly cycle the Comber Greenway and it's truly excellent. 7 miles from Belfast to Comber which is off road and well paved nearly the whole way. More routes like that would be awesome.

marceemarc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016 »

I too love the Comber Greenway and the Lagan Towpath, both of which I use most days in the week. Wonderful thing to have and would be great if this could be used to connect different parts of the country without having to use roads to cycle on, because, regardless of what 'they' told us at Giro d'Italia time in 2014, NI is NOT made for cycling (at the moment anyway!), beautiful thought it is for it  :)
“We’ll take in a quick bite at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016 »

True, Northern Ireland isn't bad for cyclists but it's got a long way to go. Some of the roads are horribly surfaced and the drivers are pretty insensitive considering you're taking cars off the road. Still, the Giro did cycling the world of good over here, it really got people interested.

I too love the Comber Greenway and the Lagan Towpath, both of which I use most days in the week. Wonderful thing to have and would be great if this could be used to connect different parts of the country without having to use roads to cycle on, because, regardless of what 'they' told us at Giro d'Italia time in 2014, NI is NOT made for cycling (at the moment anyway!), beautiful thought it is for it  :)

marceemarc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016 »

Absolutely, it was great and the legacy it has provided is brilliant, so much interest. It's drivers that worry me the most when on the roads, taking too many chances. Belfast's provision is getting better too - Alfred street recently had a great cycle lane put in, but it runs out too soon. Big improvement though, and if things continue in this vein, it'll be great. Would love a bike-safe way from Comber to Newcastle - road to Killyleagh is a nightmare!
“We’ll take in a quick bite at the Restaurant at the End of the Universe.” - Douglas Adams, Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016 »

Comber to Newcastle would be epic. You can already do city centre to Comber fairly easily, to be able to safely cycle on to Newcastle would be great. I've not been further than Sketrick Island yet, I don't think I'm quite ready to go all the way to Newcastle ::)

Absolutely, it was great and the legacy it has provided is brilliant, so much interest. It's drivers that worry me the most when on the roads, taking too many chances. Belfast's provision is getting better too - Alfred street recently had a great cycle lane put in, but it runs out too soon. Big improvement though, and if things continue in this vein, it'll be great. Would love a bike-safe way from Comber to Newcastle - road to Killyleagh is a nightmare!

marceemarc

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016 »

No, me neither. The thought of it scares the bejessus out of me - my poor legs! Sketrick is a great wee run though. Ice cream and coffee in Daft Eddy's on a good sunny day - hard to beat!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]