Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Navigation and map reading course.  (Read 3257 times)

smartin

• Newbie Poster
Navigation and map reading course.
« on: September 15, 2016 »

Hi All,

Just wondering if anyone knows of places that do map reading/navigation courses or any good books on the subject?

I want to go out walking/camping on my own but would like to be more confident with navigation beforehand.

Thanks Simon.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Navigation and map reading course.
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016 »

I was surprised to find out there are a number of orienteering clubs in Northern Ireland. They meet regularly and have competitions / activity nights. Not just in the mountains, the go to places like local parks and forests just for a bit of practice on weekday evenings.

You can find more info here:
http://www.niorienteering.org.uk/find-an-orienteering-club/

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Navigation and map reading course.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016 »

With regards to navigation practice the thing I have learnt most through any courses that I have done is that you don't to cover big distances at all to learn and practice the skills.  In fact it is through micro-navigation that I have increased my confidence the most.

As an example in the Trassey Valley you could -
- start at the sheepfold
- pick one of the river junctions that are due south and try to navigate to it, use the river and streams to help you get there
- once you think you are there follow the river upstream, then down stream, what are you expecting to see? a bend? another junction?  do these things help you confirm your position?
-  take a bearing from here to the track to the west of the river (starts at the Meelmore Lodge track and heads roughly south)
-before you head off, estimate how far it will be, then measure it.  How close was your estimate? 
- aim slightly north of the sheepfold that is marked, when you get there walk south to meet the sheepfold. This is aiming off and helps you ensure you don't miss the feature without knowing which direction to go to find it.
- was it further/shorter than you expected?
-look at the map and see how the contour lines at the base of Spellack get tighter together.
- now head over there and walk around the ground in that area, examine the profile of the ground, can you see where the ground gets steeper?  there is a change at the 300m contour line on the map, this should be noticeable on the ground.
- follow around the base of Spellack in easterly then south easterly direction, do you have a sense that you are neither climbing nor descending?  If so you are contouring around the mountainside.  If visibility was bad you can help understand your location and direction of travel if for instance the ground on your journey is forcing you uphill or downhill, or leveling out.
-go back to the river and try to navigate to a specific bend on the river
-go back to main Trassey track and aim to get to the last track (as you ascend) that heads off to the east.  What will be the tick-off features before you get there? e.g. path is initially further away from the river then it gets really close, there is a path on your right then one on your left etc.
-once you find the track can you find a kink on it?

As you can see in a small area you can do absolutely loads of navigation practice.  Alternatively you could walk all day along main tracks and follow the Mourne wall, covering great distances and actually not learn nearly as much.

Print out some instructions on taking compass bearings and walking on a bearing.  Have a read at home and practice taking a bearing then get out on a good day and try it.     

Happy walking.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]