Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: My Winter Project - Restoring a Canadian Canoe  (Read 41437 times)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
My Winter Project - Restoring a Canadian Canoe
« on: September 30, 2011 »

When the clocks go back and it gets all dark and gloomy, we all need a Winter Project to get us through until daylight returns, so this year I've decided upon the restoration of a Fibre Glass Canadian Canoe.

If all goes to plan my winter project will hopefully become my Spring/Summer entertainment, exploring the offerings of Strangford Lough and anywhere else I can get her launched without being chased  ::)

So here she is as I found her... Neglected and abandoned, just crying out for a bit of TLC

Couple of ratchet straps and some string and she's loaded and ready for the road.

The journey home was extremely nerve wracking.  The roof rack I was using was originally bought to carry a 3kg Custom Surfboard on the roof of my VW Scirocco 15yrs ago.  Not a 16ft 35kg lump ???

A bit of tinkering and it seemed to be fairly secure.  Sure, if the roof rack gave way there was always the bit of string to hold it in place!!!

Might have to consider an upgrade to the roof rack when I get her restored.

Phew... Arrived home safely.  Just time for a change of underwear and a cup of tea before setting off again to deliver her to the workshop

Unfortunately the workshop she is destined to spend her winter in is on the other side of Strangford Lough, so it was another precarious 40 minute drive via the Strangford Ferry to get there  >:(

Ahh... Sign of relief.  Got there in one piece.  Now the work can begin.  Just need another quick change of underwear!!!

I've decided I'm going to strip her right back to the original Fibre Glass because there is about 15 layers of flaking paint and a few, not so solid looking, repair jobs carried out on the hull over the years. 

I am also going to remove the previous fibreglass repairs because some of them are quite lose and I really want to find out what is lurking underneath.  I don't fancy finding out while bobbing about in the middle of Strangford Lough.

So the stripping process begins:

Oh... And if anybody has taken offence at me referring to the Canadian as "She" up to now, there has been a very good reason for it.  It's because she is actually called "Diane", as I found out after removing numerous layers of paint from the bow.  Not a name I would have picked for a Canadian but it's unlucky to change the name of a boat, so Diane it is  ;)

Ok... That's all for now folks.  Stay tuned for the exciting progress on the Great Fibre Glass Canadian Canoe Restoration Project or GFGCCRP for short  :D

I will try and keep a picture diary running here for anybody who is interested.  It could literally be like watching paint dry, but fail or succeed somebody may draw inspiration from it.

If anybody has any tips, ideas or recommendations for Fibre Glass supplies etc etc please let me know.  All input will be appreciated as I've only dabbled with Fibreglass in the past (Sounds Painful, I know) and I'm completely new to Canoeing.

I have a couple of ideas for modifying Diane but I'll keep them to myself for now to add to the excitement lol

8)

« Last Edit: January 04, 2012 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

twentyclicks

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
Re: My Winter Project - Restoring a Canadian Canoe
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2011 »

Great project. Will look forward to the updates.

Aside: What engine is in your car to be doing that speed at such low revs (with Diane on the roof)? I take it you photoshopped the clocks for fun and legal reasons...

...my old scirocco would have been flat out in top.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2011 »

Great project. Will look forward to the updates.

Aside: What engine is in your car to be doing that speed at such low revs (with Diane on the roof)? I take it you photoshopped the clocks for fun and legal reasons...

...my old scirocco would have been flat out in top.

Good Man Twenty... I did Photoshop that to see if there were any eagle eyed members out there.  I was lucky to get over 25mph on the way home.  It was kinda windy that day too.  I pulled in about 10 times to let people past being the considerate road user I am.  I knew that pesky rev counter would give it away  :D
See the View

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2011 »

I can be an observant fellow when not trying to look for anything.
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

Gerry

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2011 »

Looking forward to this project.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2011 »

lol I noticed the speed aswell and thought how the hell is he doing that?  :D
No one goes inside to clear their head

Damp Colin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2011 »

That sounds like a great wee project. If your looking for info, photo's or advice on restoring open boats "song of the paddle" is a great site for all open boating related queries.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2011 »

That sounds like a great wee project. If your looking for info, photo's or advice on restoring open boats "song of the paddle" is a great site for all open boating related queries.

Thanks Damp Colin... I'll defo check it out  :)
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2011 »

I don't remember it looking that bad  :o must be your shiny car, it looked just right on my battered up land rover  ;D
think outside, no box required

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2011 »

well hows the resto going? with all this rain lately we could be needing noahs ark  ;D

here's a wee roofrack might suit you sir
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handirack-Roof-Racks-Inflatable-System/dp/B000ZJ2IVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318414133&sr=8-1

just make sure you read the reviews about scratching the roof  :o can be avoided if careful
think outside, no box required

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2011 »

well hows the resto going? with all this rain lately we could be needing noahs ark  ;D

here's a wee roofrack might suit you sir
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Handirack-Roof-Racks-Inflatable-System/dp/B000ZJ2IVK/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1318414133&sr=8-1

just make sure you read the reviews about scratching the roof  :o can be avoided if careful

Restoration is proceeding slowly due to the amount of free time I have available but it is a winter project so I'll not panic just yet, as it is only the start of October I suppose  :P

I'm glad I decided to strip the hull right back because I have found some pretty major holes and cracks which are going to need some careful repair work to make her fit for the water again.

Some of the damage is minor and will be easily repaired but in certain places there seems to be very little holding Diane together.  There are two major cracks directly opposite each other on the sides of the hull which if were not attended to would almost certainly spread and the canoe would just split in two  :o

There is nothing that cannot be repaired and reinforced and I plan to spend this weekend finishing off stripping the hull before working out my plan of attack for making the hull sound.

It has been like Time Team at times as the more layers I remove the more history is discovered.

It turns out that Diane is a Gatz Mohawk first came to market in the year that I was born (1975).  I believe that technically means she is a classic lol

Lots of info about Gatz Canoes can be found here: http://www.secure.kanu-gatz.de/index.php?id=9&lang=e and are still in production today, albeit with more modern materials.

Here's a few pics of where I am at right now and some of the damage that needs to be repaired:

So... Bit of work still to be done but I'm gonna take my time, do it right and hopefully end up with a decent wee canoe for exploring Strangford Lough.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2011 by Dowser »
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #11 on: October 12, 2011 »

I did Photoshop that to see if there were any eagle eyed members out there.  I was lucky to get over 25mph on the way home.

I reckon you're just saying that for legal reasons... truth is you were doing over the ton with the clutch in ;D

Nice project, looking forward to seeing how it progresses!

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2011 »

I'm only catching up with this thread now...dunno how I missed it! Looking forward to seeing the project completed and the photo diary up until then.

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012 »

If your gel coating this give me a shout. I get it well reduced from my work.
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2012 »

If your gel coating this give me a shout. I get it well reduced from my work.

Wish I had known that... I bought all my fibre glassing gear and pre-mixed coloured gelcoat/topcoat a few months back  :(

I had hoped to have the Gatz Mohawk, aka Diane, near finished by now, but I ended up having to sit exams and also the weather turned quite cold and damp, which isn't ideal for glassing and gel coating.

If you work with Fibre Glass then I might come a knocking for some friendly advice.  I have a fair idea of what I am doing, but I would never turn down a bit of input from somebody who's in the know.

Thanks

8)
See the View
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]