Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Brandy and BBQ: April 25, 2011 - April 26, 2011
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Brandy and BBQ  (Read 33209 times)

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
Brandy and BBQ
« on: April 14, 2011 »

What – Brandy and BBQ
When – 10am, Monday 25th April
Where – Bloody Bridge camp site

***FINAL DETAILS***

Meet at Bloody Bridge camp site at 10am tomorrow (Monday 25th April).  Directions to camp site are here.  Transport to Trassey Track for the start of the walk will be arranged once we get there.  If you would like to join us please let us know for definite in the thread so we don't leave anyone behind.  If you will be joining us elsewhere or later on please feel free to drop either me or RedLeader a PM.

Thought it was about time we got the full Brandy Pad walked, and what better time to do it than when we are off for Easter.  This was originally talked about early last year but I don’t think it ever happened.  Idea would be for everyone to meet at Meelmore Lodge car park Bloody Bridge campsite.  We will then take a couple of cars to ferry people over to Bloody Bridge car park Trassey Road and then walk the full Brandy Pad back to Meelmore Lodge Bloody Bridge.  Once back we can all enjoy a BBQ* to round out the day!  Obviously we would need someone to run the drivers back to their cars, but shouldn’t be too taxing to organise**.

This is an excellent opportunity, especially for some members who are newer to the hills, to get out for a quality day in the Mournes without having to worry about staggering up and down mountains.  Once you get to Bog of Donard the route is fairly level to the top of Hares Gap and offers some stunning views of Slieve Donard, Annalong Valley, Devil’s Coachroad, The Castles, Hares Gap and Slieve Bearnagh.  We never leave anyone behind so all paces will be catered for, but have a wee look at the NI-Wild Safety & Responsibility page if this is all new to you before deciding.

Some more information on the route can be found here.
A map of the route can be found here.

I haven’t pinned down a date yet as thought would see what suits the majority, but possible days include Monday 26th April, Tuesday 27th April or Friday 29th April.  Easter Monday/Tuesday could be pretty busy both in the Mournes and at Meelmore Lodge, so it might be worth bearing that in mind.  I've updated this post with a date of Monday 25th April to walk the Brandy Pad, which is Easter Monday.  Some of us will be staying overnight on Easter Monday at Meelmore Lodge.  If you plan to do so its well worth giving Meelmore Lodge a call and pre-booking as they are always busy over Easter.  Everyone is welcome to stay overnight, but you will need to be responsible for your own campsite booking.  If you are interested in going add your name to the thread!

Going:
suspectmonkey
Kat
RedLeader + 1
matthewrblack
LennyJ1 + 1 (Walk)
Liam (BBQ)
surfnscenic
fourman + 1
flipmeb

* bring your own BBQ and meat of choice, I'm not cooking for anyone :P ;D

** or, depending on how many people are interested in going, we could maybe arrange for one of those mini-bus type taxis to collect us from Meelmore Lodge and run us all over to Bloody Bridge.  That means we could all meet at Meelmore Lodge and save any driving back and forth.  The cost of a taxi split between us would probably offset any petrol costs.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011 by suspectmonkey »

LennyJ1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
Re: Brandy and BBQ
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2011 »

I would be up for that depending on dates and I am possibly moving into my new house over easter????

It would be good to see you all after Kili.
No one goes inside to clear their head

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2011 »

It would be good to see you all after Kili.

Agreed, looking forward to hearing about Kili!

Is there any particular date would suit you, or would the whole trip be out of the question if you end up moving house?

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2011 »

to be honest I could wiggle my way out of it for a few hours as lon as I work my arse off if it falls over the easter weekend. Monday the 25th would be my prefferd day of choice.

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2011 »

I might come home from Donegal for this , I will keep an eye on the date chosen and work on brownie points now

Will there be any kids going ? Thinking of bringing a 6 year old
« Last Edit: April 14, 2011 by Scribble »
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2011 »

Good chance i could make this. I'm planning on bringing my 4 year old camping over easter, this would tie in nicely.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011 »

No problem bringing kids along, means I can stop and take a few photos without getting left behind ;)  Although with the speed and endurance of the kids on here perhaps I will be getting left behind!

Flipmeb, more than welcome, would be a great walk after your trip up Donard!

I may actually end up camping at Meelmore the same evening as well just so can enjoy it without rushing home, means can have a cold one with my steak!  If we can get a few people camping overnight as well all the better, the few of us that stayed at Meelmore Lodge for the Red Arrows last year had a great evening :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2011 »

I'd be in wife permitting. Easter Friday, Monday or Tuesday would suit me best as I'll be off work.

twentyclicks

• Hero Poster
  • Photographer, wanderer, bike enthusiast
    • twentyclicks
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2011 »

I'm not sure. I'll be up on the Saturday doing a recce along the Mourne Way, then probably do the Seven 7s on Sunday for training so may need to return to the big smoke to attend to matters (recover!)
Craig
-----------------------
"Go thou my incense upward from this hearth,
And ask the gods to pardon this clear flame." - Thoreau

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2011 »

I'll be on call for work that week so can't wander too far from the car but certainley count me in for the BBQ and maybe a little walk.
think outside, no box required

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2011 »

I've updated the original post with a date, Monday 25th April.  Hopefully this suits most people wanting to go.

I've also added a couple of links to a route description and a route map.  Oh, and I've added a disclaimer about the BBQ, i.e. BYO as I'm not cookin' ;D

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011 »

the 25th is more than likely going to be the best day for me.

Liam you could park at bloody bridge then walk to the quarry then go back down drive to meelmore the walk to hares gap and meet us to walk back down?

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2011 »

Liam never needs much of an excuse to get the Land Rover out in the hills ;)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2011 »

with the current price of diesel i need a good excuse to use it these days  :'(

Liam you could park at bloody bridge then walk to the quarry then go back down drive to meelmore the walk to hares gap and meet us to walk back down?

sounds like a plan, 25th suits me too, if i have the little un i'll maybe just to the hares gap walk and hope to spot you in the crowds  ;D
think outside, no box required

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2011 »

I too am up for this, it sounds class. I have a wedding on the Sunday so hangover dependant I'll be there.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]