Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Mournes Summit Bivvy: January 15, 2011 - January 16, 2011
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Author Topic: Summit Camp/Bivvi - Back by popular demand - 15/16 Jan 11  (Read 79696 times)

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

Right, the nazi side of me coming out here..... but I say, if you don't bring a firelog, don't expect to sit by the fire!

Its not fair that some people bring them and some dont - thought everyone has their reasons - not wanting to carry it being the main one!

Comments plz !

Nothing like the Milk of human kindness Mike. Have you never had to borrow a bit of kit or even knowledge of a fellow camper on the hill?
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

Yes, well, I'm going to come out of this looking bad.  

We can all say "i'd never leave someone cold or whatever", but if no one brought any fire logs - then everyone would be cold.  

So even if everyone brought - half a fire log (buy a whole one - cut it in two in the car park - place in a black bag and put in your rucksack) - we'd have a much more fun summit camp - and I wouldn't feel jaded about people who didn't bring any!

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

I believe in human kindness, but I also believe in sharing the load.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

If you can't get a fire log then bring a bottle of wine for the group :)

Or if you bring neither you have to cook breakfast for everyone  ;D

think outside, no box required

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK

If you can't get a fire log then bring a bottle of wine for the group :)

Or if you bring neither you have to cook breakfast for everyone  ;D

lol, and would have to be a ulster fry as well.
No one goes inside to clear their head

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Mike has a fair point and everyone doing their bit is one thing but ending up at 700m with 14 firelogs is probably a bit of overkill. If everyone who feels they could bring one did so I think we'd be okay.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC

But 14 bottles of wine would be most welcome :)
think outside, no box required

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

Liam has it sussed ;D

I think Mike has a point in that it does tend to be the same people who end up bringing the firelogs.  We all enjoy a light pack, but the camps definitely wouldn't be the same without a bit of a fire to sit around.  If we all went lightweight we would end up congregated around a couple of glow sticks!

As RedLeader has pointed out, 14 firelogs may be a tad many, but as Mike says we could split a few in half at the car park to share the load between us.

First timers are exempt ;)

Mind you Mike, don't be bringing one of those grate packs with you again!  Can't believe you lugged a bag of coal to Lough Shannagh :P

MikeD

• Sr. Poster

Liam has it sussed ;D

I think Mike has a point in that it does tend to be the same people who end up bringing the firelogs.  We all enjoy a light pack, but the camps definitely wouldn't be the same without a bit of a fire to sit around.  If we all went lightweight we would end up congregated around a couple of glow sticks!

As RedLeader has pointed out, 14 firelogs may be a tad many, but as Mike says we could split a few in half at the car park to share the load between us.

First timers are exempt ;)

Mind you Mike, don't be bringing one of those grate packs with you again!  Can't believe you lugged a bag of coal to Lough Shannagh :P

Yes Suspect, you can see where I'm coming from then!  I have bad memories of lugging that bag of coal around (and trying to 'control' the dog) and being out of shape !

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors

Yes Suspect, you can see where I'm coming from then!  I have bad memories of lugging that bag of coal around (and trying to 'control' the dog) and being out of shape !

I think you need counselling after that trip ;)  In fairness that bag of coal sure gave off a good heat!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

I reckon everybody should aim to bring a whole fire log but nobody will be frowned upon if they don't.  Everybody has different intentions for this trip.  Some are planning a hike before and might not be able to carry a full fire log 15 miles, some are heading straight up and some are more able than others to carry more weight.  Poor Twentyclicks is running up in the dark with only a synthetic sleeping bag.  He will be more than welcome to huddle round my firelog when he gets there and I'll even have a drink waiting for him too!!! 

Everybody knows that the more supplies and things we have, the more pleasant it's gonna be. 

14 Firelogs would be awesome.  Burnt two at a time we would have a fire comparable to a Donard Wood camp but, and it's a big BUT, if you personally feel that you are only able to carry a 1/2 log or even a 1/4 log that is absolutely fine.  All contributions will be welcome.

Here's to a great evening  ;D
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

MG1

• Hero Poster

I don't think theres any reason why every one can't carry either a fire log, half a fire log or a few sticks.

Its not like your expected to carry logs from Donard wood.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster

Final plan...

Matt, Suspectmonkey, Kat, Me, Shamara, Fourman and Darren (to date) are meeting at Meelmore Lodge at 1400. Sundown is at 1620pm ish so this gives us enough time for a leisurely plod to the summit. Anyone who wants to come with us make yourself known either by post or PM, allcomers welcome.

Anyone not able to make it for 2pm or who wants to take an alternative route just meet at the summit whenever you like. Our planned route is below, we'll have radios on channel 6 for anyone that has one, I have a spare if someone can get it from me.

Dowser will probably be leaving Meelmore Lodge at around 1630, you can PM him if you're interested, he'll have a radio also.

Anyone who wants my mobile number PM me (although no guarantees it will work on the summit). Everyone should be sure they have their plans logged with someone responsible who isn't going to be there - once we're on the summit in the dark we wont be coming down to look for people who may or may not have actually come (unless they're potentially carrying copious amounts of booze or bacon)!

In the evening once pitched we'll probably have a night hike in a Meelbeg / Slieveloughshannagh / Doan direction but we'll organise that at the time depending on the conditions.

Everyone should also be aware that this could well be a proper wet and windy one. Personally I'm not bothered by it, lets you know you're alive and on the top of a mountain but you'll want to be prepared as the Scouts say.

Remember to tell us if you want to come with the 2pm group, don't just assume we'll know

As ever, review the NI-Wild Terms/Disclaimer here : http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=278
« Last Edit: January 13, 2011 by RedLeader »

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster

I'm more than likely going to tackle the yellow route on the map below and, depending on weather conditions, maybe visit Meelbeg summit before summiting Meelmore.

As Redleader said above, PM me if you are interested in a night hike up... I will be setting off from Meelmore Lodge at 16:30.

If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK

Im also going up the yellow route but the other side of the river.
No one goes inside to clear their head

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]