Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Slieve Binnian Summit Bivi - Sat 28Aug10  (Read 31328 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Slieve Binnian Summit Bivi - Sat 28Aug10
« Reply #30 on: August 28, 2010 »

Yep, pancakes for breakfast!!

Have fun guys gutted I'm missing this ..
J are you doing the pancakes ??

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #31 on: August 29, 2010 »

Well i'm back down safely but can't vouch for the others as i left first (some where still in bed!) very enjoyable evening despite the occasional (i reckon every half hour) massive gust of wind, very relaxing lying beside the campfire on a survival bag with full waterproofs on, i might as well have been bivvying but i thought they were mad, although during the evening i decided i'll definitely give this bivvy thing go on one of my sevens if i get a calm night. Andy's innuendos had me in stiches when poor Kat & Suspectmonkey were trying to go to "bed".

i'm glad i just brought sandwiches  ;D

Chucks magic blanket

oh no, he gas is running out, i wish we'd brought sandwches like Liam

Dowser should change his name to Guy Fawkes, he wants to light big fires but can't  :P Chuck came to the rescue though

they'll be getting the fire brigade out soon!

now we know where the scotch went, someone must have put it on the fire

who said we had no ladies in ni-wild, these lucky 2 had the choice of 8 men (one chose suspectmonkey and the other said the talent was better down the zoo  ::) )

a misty mourne mourning, all that way and the view was shite  :'(

Dowser need some hi viz stuff for christmas

Chuck & Elaine seemed to sleep well

my wee tent got a hammering

Steven dreams of headroom

the sun teased us for a few moments, then it rained  :'( :'( :'(

Have more photos, just PM me with an email address and i'm send them on
« Last Edit: August 29, 2010 by landyliam »
think outside, no box required

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #32 on: August 29, 2010 »

Well i'm back down safely but can't vouch for the others as i left first (some where still in bed!) very enjoyable evening despite the occasional (i reckon every half hour) massive gust of wind, very relaxing lying beside the campfire on a survival bag with full waterproofs on, i might as well have been bivvying but i thought they were mad, although during the evening i decided i'll definitely give this bivvy thing go on one of my sevens if i get a calm night. Andy's innuendos had me in stiches when poor Kat & Suspectmonkey were trying to go to "bed".

a misty mourne mourning, all hat way and the view was shite  :'(

Did you make it to the top? That pic looks like your at the style about half way up?

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #33 on: August 29, 2010 »

Looks like an eventful night .. How did the kids find bivvying must of been an eye opener with the wind
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #34 on: August 29, 2010 »

Looks like an eventful night .. How did the kids find bivvying must of been an eye opener with the wind

Jay got on very well... Wind and Rain didn't bother him in the slightest but he kept wiggling about and ending up at the bottom of the bivvi bag.  I ended up sleeping it the same bag as him to keep him up at the top.  He's all pleased with himself and has been telling everyone he meets he's been Bivvying...  Hope the NSPCC don't find out.  ::)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #35 on: August 29, 2010 »

Did you make it to the top?

wasn't enough space for us all at the top and the wind was a bit extreme for the kids, that style was about 650m high so only 100m from top, way more than half way  :P its a summit camp in my book   ;D
think outside, no box required

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #36 on: August 29, 2010 »

Jay got on very well... Wind and Rain didn't bother him in the slightest but he kept wiggling about and ending up at the bottom of the bivvi bag.  I ended up sleeping it the same bag as him to keep him up at the top.  He's all pleased with himself and has been telling everyone he meets he's been Bivvying...  Hope the NSPCC don't find out.  ::)
He has a story to tell everyone when he gets back to school .was it a normal bivvy bag you used ?? And you sure you did not share a bag as you where using him as a hot water bottle :-) I will def try and get my lad up for a bivvy soon .
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #37 on: August 29, 2010 »

He has a story to tell everyone when he gets back to school .was it a normal bivvy bag you used ?? And you sure you did not share a bag as you where using him as a hot water bottle :-) I will def try and get my lad up for a bivvy soon .

Surprise Surprise, It was a DPM British Army Issue Bivvi Bag.  Full-on Goretex job and wider than your normal Rab type bags.  Think it's designed that way so that you can store your Rucksack and gear in with you.  I just replaced my rucksack with Jay
See the View

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #38 on: August 29, 2010 »

Cheers for posting up the photos Liam, gave me a laugh :)

Think after several hours I finally have my gear cleaned up and dried out ;) 

ElaineA

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #39 on: August 29, 2010 »

lol... nice pics..and am glad i wasnt the only one chuckling to the running commentary as poor Kat and Jonny tried to get to 'sleep' in their luxurious tarp and bivvy.... i have a funny feeling Kat might not ever bivvy again!!!!
Miss A :)

Kat

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #40 on: August 30, 2010 »

Great photos Liam!  After 1 night away from the bivvy I MIGHT do it again....weather really permitting, it would have to be a clear starry night!  :) 

ChuckMcB

« Reply #41 on: August 30, 2010 »

Was a good night, was very pleased that you all stuck with it, with that wind (and precious cargo of kids) I was expecting you all to be down in Annalong Wood. (I know I would have been if I'd been solo)

Kat: Glad you are not totally put off. When the night is still and, as you say, cloud free, you *can* *not* beat it, much better than being stuck in a big plastic tent. (just dump the wire pens and get a load of yellow plastic ones, they are the ones that work best in the Mournes' peat...with enough of them in the ground you can get to sleep without the fear of the whole lot taking off...again... :P )

Andy: Famous last words: "Yea yea yea, I'll put the fire out" ;D

When I split from you guys I got soaked in a couple of rain showers, finally got breakfast at Binnian Lough, then spent 2/3 hours drying everything out/asleep on a cracking bivvy spot on Douglas Crag. Joined by my wife mid afternoon and stayed up there until 5pm...but the call of home was too strong. (couple more pics here, none from the bivvy I'm afraid)

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #42 on: August 30, 2010 »

Andy: Famous last words: "Yea yea yea, I'll put the fire out" ;D

I put loads of damp moss on it and stood on it for 5 minutes finishing my scotch...  All I can think is that I must have split a drop  ;D

Finally got breakfast at Binnian Lough, then spent 2/3 hours drying everything out/asleep on a cracking bivvi spot on Douglas Crag.

Grid references please... I love scenic spots like that with cracking rock formations for solo camping.  The photos look great.  :)
See the View

ChuckMcB

« Reply #43 on: August 30, 2010 »

Grid ref is about J 329 241. On a shelf to the left of Douglas Crag highlighted here and here (put your mouse over the pic to see the box). There are two levels to it, with rocky 'steps' at the top, the lower level is almost on the clip edge and gives you this view . There are two levels to it, with rocky 'steps' deviding, the lower level is almost on the clip edge and gives you this view of Cove. It's a soggy but short walk up from the corner of Annalong Wood.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2010 by Chuck »

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #44 on: August 30, 2010 »

Grid ref is about J 329 241. On a shelf to the left of Douglas Crag highlighted here and here (put your mouse over the pic to see the box). There are two levels to it, with rocky 'steps' at the top, the lower level is almost on the clip edge and gives you this view . There are two levels to it, with rocky 'steps' deviding, the lower level is almost on the clip edge and gives you this view of Cove. It's a soggy but short walk up from the corner of Annalong Wood.

Thanks for that Chuck... I'll be heading up there the next chance I get.  You must have been an Army Scout in a previous life  ;D
See the View
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]