Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Meelmore Camp / Slieve Commedagh / Red Arrows  (Read 26306 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

We're thinking of having a family camp @ Meelmore Lodge on the Saturday night and watching the planes from the top of Commedagh. Plan is to leave the cars/tents @ Meelmore Sat morn, walking up to the top of Commedagh with the kids to see the show, then back down to Meelmore for a BBQ and camp. Anyones welcome. Thinking is that Commedagh will be quieter and its a chance to get the kids up it.

Meelmore are actually having a family BBQ that day anyway:
Meelmore Lodge is holding a hillwalkers barbeque this year on the 7th August 2010.  This is an ideal opportunity for everyone to come and enjoy a day on the hills and a relaxing barbeque in the afternoon from 3pm until 7pm.  We will have a DJ on site and a bouncy castle for the wee ones!  Tickets are £10 per person and that includes your barbeque and entertainment.  You can contact Ruth on 07792320936 for further information and to book your ticket.  A raffle will also be held on h day and all proceeds of that will go to Daisy Hill Hospital's neo natal unit in Newry.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010 by J »

Scribble

• Hero Poster
Re: Meelmore Camp / Slieve Commedagh / Red Arrows
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2010 »

That sounds like fun :-) any chance you could do a route card Map thingy so I can try it tomorrow with my wee lad please
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2010 »

It's not totally decided. We would usually do Meelmore -> Hares Gap -> Brandy Pad -> Commedagh/Donard Saddle -> Summit

However, we're pondering doing it from Slievenaglogh. Plus Suspectmonkey went a route at the weekend which avoided Hares Gap whioch sounded fun.

I've attached a map of the Slievenaglogh route. Technically it does 3 peaks but is still only 634m ascent so well less than Donard.

That sounds like fun :-) any chance you could do a route card Map thingy so I can try it tomorrow with my wee lad please

Scribble

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2010 »

Cheers I have never started from around meelmore usually just started at Donard ,bloody bridge etc. The route card to show the wife and make her worry less when I have one of the boys with me :-)
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

blokarter

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2010 »

I would have been keen to join you ar Meelmore this weekend but I am off to Kerry on Friday.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2010 »

If you fancy trying the alternate route rather than heading up Hares Gap, then take a look at the map below which shows our route back on Saturday.

Unfortunately my phone battery died which is what I was running the GPS app on so the route is cut short!  Basically if you start by following the red line from Meelmore Lodge up the Trassey Track.  Along the Trassey Track keep your eyes peeled for a grassy track on your left hand side which is roughly where the blue line begins.  Then follow the blue line up to the stile on Slievenaglogh and over the summits to Commedagh.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2010 »

What app was you using on your iPhone?
No one goes inside to clear their head

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2010 »

What app was you using on your iPhone?

Currently using MotionX GPS.  I had been using the free "lite" version, but only recently upgraded to the full version.  It only costs £1.79 and gives some great info when out on the trail.  I havent tried to use it to navigate a route yet, but I believe you can import routes into it and check your position against the route. 

Basically all I use it for is logging my route so I can import it to Mapyx Quo when I get home.  For £1.79 its a superb application, but the major drawback is that you can only squeeze around 4-5 hours from the battery.  Means its okay for most day trips, but on Saturday mine died about 45 minutes from the end.  Might give one of these Freeloader Picos a try to see if that makes it more flexible :)

Hoping to do a proper write up on using the iPhone as a GPS unit soon!

blokarter

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2010 »

Along the Trassey Track keep your eyes peeled for a grassy track on your left hand side which is roughly where the blue line begins.  Then follow the blue line up to the stile on Slievenaglogh and over the summits to Commedagh.

I have taken this track before when heading round to the pools on Lukes Mountain. The problem is that the going is hard due to the height of the plantlife when contouring Slievenaglough . Is there much of a path if I were to follow your track?

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2010 »

I have taken this track before when heading round to the pools on Lukes Mountain. The problem is that the going is hard due to the height of the plantlife when contouring Slievenaglough . Is there much of a path if I were to follow your track?

Where the path begins is pretty clearly defined.  Where that blue line ends on my map it literally keeps going in the same direction until it meets the red line that is the Trassey Track.  The path starts as short grass, about 1-2 metres in width.  Would almost remind you off a grassy track that has been made by a quad bike going over it.  As it starts to head up 'naglogh the short grass gives way to a rockier path with a few slightly soft peaty bits, but its in much better condition than Hare's Gap or the track on the side of Bearnagh.  Definitely no issues with heather or anything like that as long as you find the right path, and from the stile on the top of 'naglogh its all plain sailing following the wall.  Mind you, I often find it difficult finding trails!  Its worse when you are at a lower height and trying to find a small trail above you as you can never see them hidden amongst the rocks and heather.  In contrast, when you end down from above a trail it seems so obvious!  I don't know how many times I've struggled through bog and heather only to find out that I was never more than several meters away from a well defined track :D

blokarter

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2010 »

Thanks suspectmonkey.

I have taken the track you mention, small tractor of Quad width is exactly what we thought. I made the mistake of staying low and taking ages to cover little distance. I will try your one next time.

Thanks

SAMD

« Reply #11 on: August 03, 2010 »

I used to dig a bit o turf around where that blue line ends. I used to borrow Tommy McSpaddens tractor and trailer (A TVO fergie and modified Horse cart) and take it up along there to get turf for the fire. Tommy McSpaddens place is now Meelmore Lodge. That was in the days when digging turf was acceptable. ;)

Wide Load

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 03, 2010 »

Sorry to be the bearer of bad tidings, but the Reds, in common with all other RAF Hawk aircraft are currently grounded due to a potential fault in the ejection system.

If the flying aspect is important to you check before travelling.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: August 04, 2010 »

Sarah and I are up for this. We are booked into the campsite  ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2010 »

Splendid. Did you have any probs getting booked in this time?

Sarah and I are up for this. We are booked into the campsite  ;D
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]