Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Taxis in Mourne Area  (Read 15614 times)

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
Taxis in Mourne Area
« on: April 26, 2010 »

Firstly, hi to all.. new on here and it looks a great forum.

I have one question and it is in relation to taxis in the Mournes. Just wondering if anyone has used any taxi firms when planning a walk in the Mournes.
Thinking of tackling the Mourne Wall and have some 'drop-out' points planned but would need a taxi back to my car (probably Ott car-park).

If anyone has used or knows of any taxi companies who would do call-outs like that, I'd really appreciate it.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Taxis in Mourne Area
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2010 »

We ended up unexpectedly at Carrick Little car park when we wanted to be at Meelmore Lodge and got a taxi for back round for £9. It wasn't a named taxi service as such, just some bloke from Kilkeel (but fully licenced).

It's Joes Taxis on 02841763793

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2010 »

Donard Taxi's took me, Jen and Jen's dog, Archie, from Donard Park round to Carrick Little car park for £15. I thought it a tad steep, no pun, especially when you compare it to £9 for Meelmore Lodge from Carrick Little, but maybe the dog made it more expensive ???

For some reason they have 2 numbers 028 437 24100 & 028 437 22823

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2010 »

I got a taxi from Donard car park to bloody bridge last Sunday after I sprained my ankle. I used Shimna and he was spot on, only four quid

1. Shimna Taxis
Taxis & Private Hire Vehicles
18, Railway Street,
Newcastle
BT33 0AL
02843 443026
Wheelchair Taxis
Credit Cards Welcome
Airport Transfers
Golfing Trip Transport
8 Seater Executive Cars
Contract & Public Welcome
shimnataxis.web.officelive.com

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2010 »

Cheers lads..

My mate was to do the Mourne Wall with me but he had to drop out - I've done bits and pieces of it before.
I might be a bit adventurous trying to do it all in one day - going to travel light and see how I get on.

We actually tried it last year. The plan was to do the wall over 2 days but we made a couple of major mistakes, the first being packing way too much and the heavy packs really slowed us down. Only got from Carrick Little to the col between Carn and Loughshannagh before the weather took a major turn for the worse (mistake 2 being not to check the forecast thoroughly). Camped out overnight in a ridiculous storm - later heard from another chap that he had to abandon camp down in Annalong Valley during the same night due to the river flooding! Woke the next morning to gale force winds and no visibility so we came back down. In fairness, our fitness levels were very poor when we done this and I've since spent the winter jogging and done a couple of decent walks so should be in a far better position to do the walk now.

Peace of mind to know I can call a taxi should I have to abandon plan on the way around.

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010 »

Just to follow up.

Done the Mourne Wall Walk yesterday - started/finished at Carrick Little and took 10.5 hrs. Very tough going, more so that I had anticipated.

Anyway, I had called the Shimna taxi company in advance just to check if they were ok as regards callouts to the mountains and they said that would be no problem. Didn't need them in the end but a useful number to have in future!

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010 »

well done doing it all in one day must be very tough!!

What did you carry with you? how many breaks etc did you take?

Andy

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010 »

Nice one, you must be super fit.

Just to follow up.

Done the Mourne Wall Walk yesterday - started/finished at Carrick Little and took 10.5 hrs. Very tough going, more so that I had anticipated.

Anyway, I had called the Shimna taxi company in advance just to check if they were ok as regards callouts to the mountains and they said that would be no problem. Didn't need them in the end but a useful number to have in future!

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010 »

Andy,

It was quite a bit tougher than I had anticipated alright.

The best decision I made was to do the walk in a pair of Inov8 Roclite trail runners as opposed to more traditional hiking boots. The Roclites were lovely and light on my feet and their ability to effectively 'pump out' water meant that I didn't have to bother too much with avoiding wet areas.

I packed as light as possible. My pack had a 3 litre reservoir which was very handy and meant I could keep hydrated while on the move. I took plenty of fruit and plenty of chocolate. My only real indulgence was my camera (Nikon D50).

As regards rest stops - I tried to keep moving as much as possible, initially really only stopping to take a snap at various points. I had done a 10k race the previous day and my legs did start cramping so when that happened, I would take a quick rest (sit down on the nearest rock) and take on some water and a quick snack.

The bit at the end where I dropped off Long Seefin to follow the wall across the Annalong River and through Annalong wood was a real killer. The climb up is through what looks like felled forest with the ground covered in thick grass which has tangled itself in the leftover pieces of wood and branches from the felling. Really hard to walk on at that stage.

Not sure if I'd attempt it again to be honest but would like to do it in under 10 hrs (had thought I was well on the way to this but didn't realise how long the walk-in from Donard was and how much time I would loose going through Annaling wood).

Route available at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32183145. Doing a write-up at some stage and can post the link here when that's done.

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2010 »

Andy,

It was quite a bit tougher than I had anticipated alright.

The best decision I made was to do the walk in a pair of Inov8 Roclite trail runners as opposed to more traditional hiking boots. The Roclites were lovely and light on my feet and their ability to effectively 'pump out' water meant that I didn't have to bother too much with avoiding wet areas.

I packed as light as possible. My pack had a 3 litre reservoir which was very handy and meant I could keep hydrated while on the move. I took plenty of fruit and plenty of chocolate. My only real indulgence was my camera (Nikon D50).

As regards rest stops - I tried to keep moving as much as possible, initially really only stopping to take a snap at various points. I had done a 10k race the previous day and my legs did start cramping so when that happened, I would take a quick rest (sit down on the nearest rock) and take on some water and a quick snack.

The bit at the end where I dropped off Long Seefin to follow the wall across the Annalong River and through Annalong wood was a real killer. The climb up is through what looks like felled forest with the ground covered in thick grass which has tangled itself in the leftover pieces of wood and branches from the felling. Really hard to walk on at that stage.

Not sure if I'd attempt it again to be honest but would like to do it in under 10 hrs (had thought I was well on the way to this but didn't realise how long the walk-in from Donard was and how much time I would loose going through Annaling wood).

Route available at http://connect.garmin.com/activity/32183145. Doing a write-up at some stage and can post the link here when that's done.

Bloody hell! well done. You must be superfit alright! 10k race then next day the mourne wall!
I'm thinking of doing it myself in the next month or so, just not sure if it would be better doing it as a overnighter or travelling as light as possible and trying it in one day!

paulocon

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2010 »

Andy,

Having attempted it previously as an overnighter, the one thing I would say is that it can become a real slog with heavier packs. We had to come down after a night out in a storm but I'm not sure we'd have had the strength to make it around the second day with all our gear.

One suggestion would be perhaps to leave your kit at Meelmore Lodge and walk half of the wall that far on day one, camp at Meelmore then do the second half on day two.
I will probably walk the wall again and do it this way so that I can enjoy the experience and take some time to enjoy the views instead of rushing from one summit to the next.
Peronally, I wanted to do it over one day mainly because I told a couple of people I would and I don't like to be wrong!!

It is a very tough walk - probably the most physically challenging thing I've ever done. Having said that I've never attempted a walk that long or with so much ascent before so my training on the hills was quite limited so with proper training, it would probably be a lot easier...

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2010 »

That's a fantastic idea.

One suggestion would be perhaps to leave your kit at Meelmore Lodge and walk half of the wall that far on day one, camp at Meelmore then do the second half on day two.

suspectmonkey

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Jon Patterson Outdoors
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2010 »

That's a fantastic idea.

Any one fancy a Mourne Wall MkII trip?  I'm up for it, but still prefer the thought of doing it over doing two days.  The idea of using Meelmore as a base camp is great!

Well done Paul, sounds like you were fairly moving!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2010 »

Hmm. Tempted.

That's a fantastic idea.

Any one fancy a Mourne Wall MkII trip?  I'm up for it, but still prefer the thought of doing it over doing two days.  The idea of using Meelmore as a base camp is great!

Well done Paul, sounds like you were fairly moving!

andy1984

• Top Poster
« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2010 »

Yeah i'd be up for it! Although cant help but feeling like using a base camp is cheating somehow!! ;D Something about carrying your all you need on your back! Although it is a bloodly lot of climbing to be hauling a heavy pack up!! lol
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]