Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: MMM 14  (Read 13618 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: MMM 14
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2014 »

Well you're already ahead of me in fitness (my mourne way half time was nearly 3 hrs) so C class shouldn't be a bother to you. So keep up with whatever normal training you do and maybe just practise your navigation more (if you need to). Get out into the western mornes on a misty day or maybe some night nav somewhere handy like Tollymore Forest & Luke's Mountain. Only other thing I would recommend is doing some steep hill like Donard a week before so you're legs are used to it, this should stop you suffering on Day 2 of the MMM.
think outside, no box required

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2014 »

Whats the differences in the classes ? Does anyone know of a good website with info. Seen Claire's blogs which are a wealth of info  on what to take etc.
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2014 »

www.mourne2day.com should have all the info you need

Elite = 55km
B Class = 45km
C Class = 35km
D Class = 35km

The higher the class the more ascending to do and the controls get harder to find, those distances assume you chose the best route and don't get lost! (C, B & Elite have clusters where you can chose the order you get certain controls)

All the 2014 info here http://mourne2day.com/?page_id=75

Rusty Madra

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #18 on: October 14, 2014 »

I actually have a theory that you can complete the MMM without having any navigation skills at all in your team. *warning/disclaimer ... Don't actually try it: it's a big gamble and getting lost, exhausted and desperate in the hills can be a killer.

Having said that if your fitness is up to scratch and your memory is half decent the reality is there's always people around going roughly in the same direction. Memorise a few details of packs and clothing of your comrades in the class and it could probably be done without any navigation skill.

Having said that the whole point is the navigation so it'd be a pointless exercise... If navigation ain't your thing there's loads of linear or marked trail running events.
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #19 on: October 14, 2014 »

Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  :o

Well maybe in perfect conditions with great visibility, and an early start so if you lose a team you could alway let another catch up with you, and definitely C class only due to largest entry field, BUT, one patch of mist of heavy rain and you wander a little off track you're on your own  ;D

I've also followed other teams the wrong way before, silly of me as my navigation is decent, but you do get into a mindset that they must know where they are going :-[

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #20 on: October 14, 2014 »

Berghaus aquafoil or North face Hyvent for a waterproof jacket, apparently the rules state a certain type of waterproof. D class is a good starter it gives those who want to  start the sport a chance ,heard a few bandits like to drop down just to win .Me ..its all about completion and accuracy. Looking to compete in 2015 and the wife as a partner .She has no experience so the D class  for us might be able to convince her to move up a level if we start the training  early enough.
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2014 »

Berghaus aquafoil or North face Hyvent for a waterproof jacket, apparently the rules state a certain type of waterproof. D class is a good starter it gives those who want to  start the sport a chance ,heard a few bandits like to drop down just to win .Me ..its all about completion and accuracy. Looking to compete in 2015 and the wife as a partner .She has no experience so the D class  for us might be able to convince her to move up a level if we start the training  early enough.

They are actually fairly flexible on the jacket type, last year I used a small packaway type from regatta and during the pre-race inspection they had no problems with it at all. I think the ruling about jackets is mainly there to prevent anyone using the Sunday rambler pack-a-mac types you sometimes see. This type of event means no jacket in the world will still keep breathing for the amount you will be sweating so as long as you have some breathability rating the jacket should be fine.
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]