Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Belfast Walking Festival - 19-20th May 2012  (Read 9304 times)

Samm

• Top Poster
Belfast Walking Festival - 19-20th May 2012
« on: February 23, 2012 »

Just a heads up about Belfast Walking Festival on 19-20th May. It's run by North West Mountain Rescue Team (the team that will come to your aid anywhere in NI outside of the Mournes, who have a separate team) as part of their annual fundraising.  There's 3 events, a 25km hike across the Belfast Hills, a team night navigation competition and a family treasure hunt.  I'm sure NI Wild could definitely get some teams sorted for the night navigation competition!

More information at http://nwmrt.weebly.com/
« Last Edit: May 03, 2012 by LandyLiam »

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Belfast Walking Festival
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2012 »

I'd be up for at least one of these events, the night navigation sounds fun.

This competition will have a late finish so Teams may wish to camp overnight. We have secured permission from the National Trust for the use of the  facilities at the Divis Mountain Centre for overnight camping.
think outside, no box required

Spud

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2012 »

Like the sound of the 25K challenge, have always fancied doing that route.

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012 »

Signed up for the 25K challenge yesterday!  :)

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012 »

I'm working that day but fancy a go at the Night Navigation Exercise... maybe we could get a Wild NI Team going? (I don't have a clue about navigation but I'm good at agreeing with someone who is and I can keep up  ;D)

http://nwmrt.weebly.com/night-navigation-competition.html

"Description:
This is a team competition which will test navigation and orienteering skills. The course has been designed by one of the Mountain Rescue Team's most experienced navigators - it is designed to be challenging but also fun for those less experienced in night navigation.

The competition will proceed irrespective of the weather conditions unless the Mountain Rescue Team feel it necessary  to cancel or postpone the event for safety reasons. Teams may use GPS devices if they wish. The Mountain Rescue Team will, of course, remain on stand-by throughout the entire exercise.

Teams will assemble no later than 8pm on Saturday night when they will be issued with maps,a list of target locations, and their designated start location. Kick-off will be at 9pm and Teams will have a maximum of 4 hours to complete as much of the course as they can.

This competition will have a late finish so Teams may wish to camp overnight. We have secured permission from the National Trust for the use of the  facilities at the Divis Mountain Centre for overnight camping. We ask for a contribution of £30 per team using this service but we will waive this extra charge for teams contributing more than £50 sponsorship..

There are 2 prizes on offer for this competition: one for the team that scores the highest number of points and one for the team that raises the greatest amount of sponsorship for the Mountain Rescue Team. The prize for the winning teams will be a weekend advanced training with the Mountain Rescue Team, this will include advanced navigation, absailing, climbing and camp-craft."

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012 by Rusty Madra »
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012 »

I might do the 25k, if for no other reason than to memorise the route - to provide a decent workout on days I can't be arsed with the journey to newcastle
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012 »

Got that day sorted off work for the 25k hike  :) anyone else up for it?
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2012 »

2 weeks on Saturday! (has come in VERY quickly!  :o. ) so rusty and I are confirmed, anyone else for doing this? I'm looking forward to it!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Belfast Walking Festival - 19-20th May 2012
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2012 »

i'm hoping to do one of the events that weekend, just not sure which one yet, maybe the night nav

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2012 »

Anyone else fancy the walk this Saturday? I'm definately doing it!

25KM Challenge Hike – Briefing Note
HIKE DETAILS
ASSEMBLY LOCATION: Divis Mountain car-park on Divis Road BT17 0NG
CHECK-IN TIME: 8:30am to 9:15am
SHUTTLE BUS TO COLIN GLEN: 9:15am to 9:45am
WALK STARTS: First Group departs @ 9:30am, Last Group @ 10:00am
ROUTE: a gradual climb up the glen veering north to a circular route round the key hill peaks overlooking Belfast, ending back at the Divis Mountain car-park.
Signing-In
Upon arrival at the Divis car park walkers should sign-in at one of the check-in points. You will be asked to sign a liability waiver form, be given your registration tag badge, pay your £20 registration fee – if you haven’t already pre-paid – and give-in any sponsorship money you have collected.
Group Management
The walk will be undertaken in groups of between 10 and 15. Each group will be led and supported by at least 2 Mountain Rescue Team members.
Participants who consider themselves to be relatively fast fit walkers (e.g. walkers who might average more than 4 Kilometres per hour) should arrive in time to join the first group to leave.
The last group to leave will be reserved for those who consider themselves slow walkers. The majority of participants can join any one of the intermediate groups.
Equipment and Supplies
Parts of the route are muddy even in dry weather so good walking shoes or boots are required and you will need to carry your own packed lunch, some water and enough snacks to keep you going. Water refills will be available from bowsers along the route. This is a long walk so your packed lunch should be substantial enough to keep you going – don’t try to do it on an apple and a few crisp-breads.
Suggested Check List:
·        Light waterproof jacket (plus waterproof over-trousers if the weather forecast is for persistent rain)
·        Boots (see above) and a pair of good quality walking socks plus comfortable underwear
·        Lightweight trousers NOT JEANS (they constrict your movement, get and stay wet for ages, and can deliver a noteworthy rope burn if you slide on your bottom)
A day bag sized rucksack for:-
·        your water (a half litre plastic bottle is fine as we will provide top-up refill points along the route)
·        your packed lunch
·        a fleece to keep you warm when we pause or stop
·        Snacks (chocolate, dates, nuts, and energy bars all qualify)
·        Hat (sun or woolly as required)
·        Any medication you are require to take
Optional:
·        Sun glasses, sun block, walking poles, gaiters, Thermos flask
Mountain Rescue Team supporters will staff a tea, buns and elastoplast stall at both the start and the end of the walk.
Safety
The walk should be an enjoyable and challenging but also a safe event. Please note:
·        If you have any medical conditions that you believe might impact your safety let a Mountain Rescue Team member know
·        The route crosses public roads, has some off-path sections over rough terrain, and includes river fords and muddy tracks. These can all be negotiated safely but you are expected to follow any instructions given to you by the group leaders
·        If at any point on the walk you find yourself struggling or feel unable to continue you should let one of the group leaders know
The safety of the whole group is the first priority for the group leaders. Leaders reserve the right to amend the route, the distance, and the pace to best assure the group’s safety.
Walk End
Walk end reception will be located at the Divis Mountain National Trust Centre.
Walkers should return their tag badge to Mountain Rescue reception staff or, if for any reason you leave the walk before the end, to your group leader.
Completion certificates will be issued by reception staff to all walkers who finish the hike.

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2012 »

I'm looking forward to it!  ;D

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2012 »

25Km done!  ;D Had a great days walking, was good to meet rusty madra, some class trails and sights along the way! Sore feet but happy! ;D pics to follow.

Samm

• Top Poster
« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2012 »

25Km done!  ;D Had a great days walking, was good to meet rusty madra, some class trails and sights along the way! Sore feet but happy! ;D pics to follow.

Glad you had a great walk. There was a brilliant turn out for the day walks and 7 teams took part in the night nav. Lots of happy but exhausted people at 1am this morning!

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: May 20, 2012 »

Some pictures from the walk, I raised about £200 so far from sponsorship, well chuffed!

At the start in colin glen

Up through colin glen

footprints? A mucky wee path!

one for liam! lol

near the start of what the guide called "the famine road" - is up through an abandoned quarry off the ligoneil road

plane crash site at divis mountain

some of the wreckage

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #14 on: May 20, 2012 »

gutted that i didn't get to any on the events  >:(  but the fine weather had me powerhousing patios, clearing out sheds and building conservatories.
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]