Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Rathlin Island Bivvy -17th September 2016  (Read 4321 times)

Heggs

Rathlin Island Bivvy -17th September 2016
« on: September 19, 2016 »

It was my brothers stag party on the night of the 17th of September. We decided to forgo the type of fancy party that the hens were having on the same night and headed off for Rathlin Island. We partied until around 2am and headed back to the hostel room we had rented for the night. This is when my pre planning was now going to pay off. Spurred on by the fact that I had known that my other brother had brought hair removal strips and a bottle of fake tan, I had packed everything I needed for an “emergency bivvy.” When I arrived at the hostel, not wanting to share a room with 5 really drunk lads, I lifted my bag, shouted in “see you lot in the morning” and left.

It was a clear night and the moon was very bright which helped with navigation. I spotted a flat area off the road, sheltered by some small bushes and set up camp. Nothing too fancy, a ¾ length self-inflating pad laid out on top a small tarp, an Alpkit Hunka XL bivvy and a 2 season sleeping bag. I had purchased a 30L waterproof backpack (also from Alpkit) after my previous camp on Bearnagh so it came in handy for storing my kit on the outside of the bivvy bag. I lay down, looked up at the moon and stars and drifted off to sleep.

I woke around 6.15am. There was a slight covering of dew but apart from that it had been a calm, dry night. I packed up and left, stopping for a coffee on the beach then called back to the hostel around 7.15am.

The guys were all still out of it, lying in their beds so I turned around and off I went again.

I walked to the lighthouse at the east side of the island, taking in the views of Fair Head to the right and Scotland ahead in the distance.

I continued towards the harbour, stopping around a National Trust owned/run area close to Manor House for some breakfast. I used my new Burukit to heat up some meatballs and rice and sat eating and reading for an hour.

I then proceeded to walk around the harbour enjoying the peace and fresh salty air. I arrived back at the hostel with around 4.7 miles under my belt for the morning and just as the guys were waking. For me at least, the morning had been bliss.

Looking forward to the next trip already!

« Last Edit: September 19, 2016 by Heggs »

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Rathlin Island Bivvy -17th September 2016
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2016 »

Love it Heggs, you really made the most of that opportunity.  A fine example of a stealth bivvy in every sense.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Heggs

« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2016 »

Thanks mate, opportunities are few and far between at the minute so have to make the most out of every one! Thought that one was worth a share, atb

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2016 »

Like your style mate lol and great pics.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Heggs

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2016 »

Cheers Glenn!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2016 »

Brilliant, nicely done. Sounds like a perfect night.
I've still not managed to make it to Rathlin yet for a look around. Has been on my bucket list for years.

Heggs

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2016 »

Thanks, it is definitely worth it

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2016 »

Brilliant stuff Heggs, looks like you had a beezer of a night in a beautiful location. Makes you realise how little you actually need to get out for a night under the stars.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]