Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: An evening in the Antrim Hills  (Read 4831 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
An evening in the Antrim Hills
« on: September 03, 2016 »

Over the summer I had a really pleasant evening's dander in the Antrim Hills.  With just a bit of a rough plan in mind I wanted to visit a couple of tops and then have a look around one of the rivers that looked interesting on the map.  Having been in the area before I knew that Dungonnell Reservoir allowed for parking and a good place from which to start the walk.  As it turned out I was able to progress a little further along the road past the dam before finding a suitable spot to park and begin my walk.

I started off passing the atmospheric Loughgarve before ascending Collin Top. 

The view from Collin Top gives a glimpse down towards Glenariff and the drop off into the glen looks impressive from here.  A little stone cairn at the summit gives this hill a distinct look in the area alongside the larger rolling tops of Mid Hill and Carncormick.

I headed to a secondary top to the NE of Collin Top before heading on a course towards Crockravar, making use of a fence to handrail my way along and thankfully avoiding the worst of any boggy ground. 

Crockravar

Crockravar

There was a very distinctive boulder on the western flank of Crockravar that I made a beeline for.  It was an interesting little feature that would offer a commanding view both into the glen and also across it towards the county high ground of Trostan.  I say would because today there was fog rising out of the glen.  This was fascinating to watch as it rose and crept along the land down below me in something that resembled John Carpenter's horror The Fog.  Before long it had completely enveloped me.  In the period of 3 minutes it had gone from reasonable visibility to very poor.  I was glad that I knew exactly where I was since navigational skills would now be required for the next part of the journey.

Reasonable visibility

3 minutes later

After a 30m detour to visit the summit of Crockravar, the fog gave a real sense of disorientation requiring the use of a compass to find my way back to the boulder previously visited.  I then made my way east to Loughnacarry before heading south towards an unnamed lough.  At this point the fog lifted somewhat and retired back to the glen.  This was a perfect to spot to stop for a cuppa and to watch the constantly unfolding picture in front of me as the fog caressed the top of Glenariff forest.

Next I headed to the Inver River which is one of the contributors to eventually form the Glenariff river.  I was interested in checking out some of the waterfalls that are marked on the map.  With modest expectations I was delighted and impressed by the number and appearance of these.  These would be particularly impressive when the river was in spate.

I know it can be hard to appreciate the scale of these on a photograph, the last one in particular has quite a drop.   It is easily reached along forest tracks through Glenariff Forest park.  It is in a part of the forest park that I have never visited before despite being to the forest many times.

It was then back to the car to complete the walk.  I really love walking in the Antrim Hills.  The walking can be more difficult at times with deep heather and long grass to contend with but there are some real wee gems of places to be discovered.  And when you do, you are likely to have it all to yourself. 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

hillbilly

• Newbie Poster
Re: An evening in the Antrim Hills
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016 »

Now you are making me guilty. I live on Islandmagee and I have never stood on the Antrim hills. I always head south to the mournes. Lovely wee blog pictures always bring life to the piece. I'm  certainly fired up to give the Antrim hills a go.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2016 »

Great write-up G, and wonderful photos there. The Antrim Hills have some fantastic little beauty spots hidden away and as you've said, you'll probably have it all to yourself. Well worth a visit.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2016 »

Nice write up and photos, the fog can be very disorientating especially when your map and compass skills are as bad as mine. I tend to stick to the Mournes using the more well defined paths and walls because of this. Probably missing out on other fantastic areas to explore but it's better remembering your day tucked up on the sofa than wandering about aimlessly lost in the hills :-[
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2016 »

Brilliant. Looks like a lovely night out and some superb photos.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016 »

We've definitely got a variety of places to visit, you can even get off the beaten track in the busy places easily enough.  It amazes me how quiet the Causeway Coastal walk gets when you just turn left at the top of the shepherd's steps, rather than right.

Now you are making me guilty. I live on Islandmagee and I have never stood on the Antrim hills. I always head south to the mournes. Lovely wee blog pictures always bring life to the piece. I'm  certainly fired up to give the Antrim hills a go.

I love Islandmagee, we walk with the kids down there a fair bit, maybe even a wee sneaky camp  :)  Wouldn't it be great if the whole coast of Islandmagee had open access?  It'd be a great place for stop-over walkers and support a little rural economy of restaurants, pubs, B&Bs etc.  It could be just like the Causeway Coast with a path's width open to walkers.  Whitehead to Brown's Bay would be a great walk.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

hillbilly

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016 »

Now that is certainly the island looking out to larne. A great wee place. Here the gobbins path has not quite become the tourist attraction that was hoped for. Have you been to portmuck harbour it is a steep hill but certainly lovely.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]