Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: We need you! - Lisburn District Scouts  (Read 25338 times)

Redknight

• Newbie Poster
    • 1st Ballymacash Scouts - Lisburn District
We need you! - Lisburn District Scouts
« on: October 14, 2013 »

Hi Everyone,

Lisburn district scouts are in need of more volunteer leaders, no experience is required.

« Last Edit: October 14, 2013 by Redknight »

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: We need you! - Lisburn District Scouts
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2013 »

If anyone out there is thinking about it, just go for it. You don't have to go to every meeting if you can't spare the time, just do what you can, learn loads of new skills, meet like minded people, its great  :) .

p.s. Newcastle also need more leaders, shameless plug  ::)  www.newcastlescouts.org.uk
think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013 »

It's great to see people still willing to put time and effort into Scouting. It's where my enjoyment of the outdoors came from and I know I'm not alone.

Redknight

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013 »

Whilst I'm obviously plugging Lisburn District if anyone is interested from anywhere in Northern Ireland please let me know and I can put you in contact with your district commissioner via mine and get you talking to the right people.

It really is great fun! You can take Squirrels - 4-6, Beavers - 6-8, Cubs - 8-10.5, Scouts 10.5-14 or Explorers - 14-18. There's Network as well from 18-25 but I think they largely look after themselves at that stage.

There's tonnes of outdoor stuff and depending on what you want from it you can organise and run almost any type of event you want with the exception of a few more dangerous activities. There's also loads of cheap or free training in outdoors pursuits. I've already been out with and am getting signed off on being a qualified walking leader and NI Orienteering were good enough to offer me a free course to train orienteering next week. With that in mind, I may have an open spot for training next Tuesday 22nd October for Orienteering training. I'm still trying to fill it internally but if I can't I'm sure I could open it up to another scout leader if you want to go.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2013 »

Will i meet Bear himself !!!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2013 »

Yip, and even better than that.  You and him* will get dropped off in Buckna and you'll have to cross any rivers at the widest point (and in the buff of course), leap from boulder to boulder rather than walk along the path, eat sheep's goolies up the Collin (probably safer than a chinese takeaway in Ballyclare) and survive an overnight up the Cavey with nothing to light a fire with except discarded underwear (from yer woman).  In the morning you'll be making a death slide across Sandyknowes roundabout and then back to the pick-up point on the mound at Corr's Corner.  And don't be thinking you'll be taking the path up to the top of that baby, it's straight all the way up.

*  well obviously the camera crew, ropes consultant, nutritionist and production accountant will be joining you. 
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013 by whoRya »
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2013 »

Yip, and even better than that.  You and him* will get dropped off in Buckna and you'll have to cross any rivers at the widest point (and in the buff of course), leap from boulder to boulder rather than walk along the path, eat sheep's goolies up the Collin (probably safer than a chinese takeaway in Ballyclare) and survive an overnight up the Cavey with nothing to light a fire with except discarded underwear (from yer woman).  In the morning you'll be making a death slide across Sandyknowes roundabout and then back to the pick-up point on the mound at Corr's Corner.  And don't be thinking you'll be taking the path up to the top of that baby, it's straight all the way up.

LMAO cracker mate !!!

*  well obviously the camera crew, ropes consultant, nutritionist and production accountant will be joining you.

Bear Nappy AKA (Wolf Larson) VS Bear Grylls would be a funny show. It would be great to see how unfit i am.  :o :o :o :o :o

Bear X SAS and the rest VS Bear Nappy AKA (wolf larson) Beer,whiskey and whatever i can get my hands on, smoke 15 rolleys a day.

Bear CARRY ME !!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 22, 2013 by Wolf_Larson »
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2013 »

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
think outside, no box required

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2013 »

Your quite chuffed with that answer wernt your mate  ;D
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2013 »

Poor Bear gets a tough time of it  :D As long as he's helping the kids by being Chief Scout and generally lifting the view that the outdoors can still be "cool" he's alright with me, I've a lot of respect for the guy.

Redknight

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2013 »

I tend to agree, Bear Grylls may not be the most realistic of survival TV presenters but he's brought a great image to the Scouts for the kids and that's what it's about.

Just look at the previous chief Scouts, great men I'm sure but they did little to encourage kids into scouting Vs Bear who almost caused a stampede at Crawfordsburn this summer

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2013 »

I tend to agree, Bear Grylls may not be the most realistic of survival TV presenters but he's brought a great image to the Scouts for the kids and that's what it's about.

Just look at the previous chief Scouts, great men I'm sure but they did little to encourage kids into scouting Vs Bear who almost caused a stampede at Crawfordsburn this summer

But isn't scouting all about learning responsibility and such? Things which while the man himself may have done in his past, his tv shows show anything but this. Would he still be regarded as an inspiration after some 11yr old scout decides to go it alone in his local woods and breaks a leg blindly jumping into a rock pool?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2013 »

I think there's an over reaction to Bear. As with all things in life there are probably things we'd rather he didn't or did do but the fact is he's a very popular person with a good following of younger people and he actively encourages them to do more than sit at home and watch TV and I think on balance that's a good thing. I'd rather Bear got people into the Scouts than Jackass got them into amateur stunts for Youtube.

But isn't scouting all about learning responsibility and such? Things which while the man himself may have done in his past, his tv shows show anything but this. Would he still be regarded as an inspiration after some 11yr old scout decides to go it alone in his local woods and breaks a leg blindly jumping into a rock pool?

Redknight

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2013 »

I guess it's about striking a balance, you're right he is a touch irresponsible drinking elephant poo, but he gets kids in to hopefully be taught better by our leaders.

In my opinion Ray should be our chief scout all day long!  ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2013 »

I totally agree, Ray Mears pretty much epitomizes all that is useful and enjoyable about the outdoors as well as teaching useful survival skills and being ecologically sound. I have so much respect for the man. The trouble is he doesn't want to be Chief Scout and Bear is happy to give his time. It doesn't annoy me that kids play a lot of computer games and watch a lot of TV, I probably outdo the average teen for hours wasted ;) What does annoy me is kids don't seem to get the chance to appreciate how much fun they could be having outdoors and Bear at least gives it a bit of a push in the right direction.

I guess it's about striking a balance, you're right he is a touch irresponsible drinking elephant poo, but he gets kids in to hopefully be taught better by our leaders.

In my opinion Ray should be our chief scout all day long!  ;D
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]