Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Author Topic: Invites for Short Notice Trips and Outings  (Read 231389 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Invites for Short Notice Trips and Outings
« Reply #225 on: October 02, 2016 »

Looks like you got great weather. Nice video Yak  8)

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #226 on: November 01, 2016 »

Having lived in Belfast my whole life and never been up Cavehill I think it's time that changed, so I'm gonna head up this Friday 4th November if anyone feels like it your more than welcome to join me.

Glenn
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #227 on: November 01, 2016 »

Alas, I'm working Friday but Cave Hill is well worth a once around. The circular route starting at Belfast Castle is superb.

Having lived in Belfast my whole life and never been up Cavehill I think it's time that changed, so I'm gonna head up this Friday 4th November if anyone feels like it your more than welcome to join me.

Glenn

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #228 on: November 01, 2016 »

Alas, I'm working Friday but Cave Hill is well worth a once around. The circular route starting at Belfast Castle is superb.

Glenn

Was up on Sunday past and more or less done that circular route.  It was the first time in years that I went down round that lower (as in southerly on the map RL posted) section.  Couldn't believe the amount of work they have done on it pitching the stone steps and that.  It's a very sustainable job.  We actually stayed on the 140m contour mark along those tracks back to the car park.  A fantastic afternoon out.  Enjoy yourself Glenn.     
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #229 on: November 02, 2016 »

Guys how long would it take to get around that route and is it signposted, where is it best to park up?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #230 on: November 02, 2016 »

If you park at Belfast Castle I'm pretty sure it's a waymarked trail and there's a noticeboard with a map on it where the trail starts. When I was doing it every week it was taking 1.5 - 2 hours but if you're stopping to enjoy the view etc it would probably take longer.

This is a pretty accurate description of it:

Begin at the interpretative panel in the car park just before the entrance to Belfast Castle. Climb up the path on your left until you reach the first junction. Turn right. Follow this path through the woodland, keeping to the left of any of the junctions you come to. This path leads up through the trees, climbing on to a plateau. Stop here to admire the fabulous views over the city and Belfast Lough.

Take the next path on your left. This skirts the Devil’s Punchbowl, passing below the largest cave before veering to the right. Follow this path as it climbs steadily up the hill, pausing to take in the surroundings and views on the way.

Continue climbing up the steps to a cattle grid and fence — at the top veer to the left and follow the grass path to the top of the hill and McArt’s Fort. Pause again to take in the magnificent views before joining the main path on its gradual descent down the south-facing slopes of Cave Hill.

Continue downhill, taking the next lane on your left. This leads down past the top of Carr’s Glen and carries on for some distance before reaching the Upper Cavehill Road. Go down the footpath a short way and take the path to the left. Climb over the ridge and descend into Belfast Castle Estate. Return to the starting point by means of the footpath up the main driveway.

From here:
http://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/life/weekend/walk-of-the-week-cave-hill-28662108.html

Guys how long would it take to get around that route and is it signposted, where is it best to park up?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2016 by RedLeader »

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #231 on: November 02, 2016 »

Brilliant that's me sorted thanks for the info..

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #232 on: February 16, 2017 »

Planning another quick overnight camp in the woods surrounding Helens Tower Saturday 25th/Sunday 26th.  So far it's only Torp and myself but if you fancy it your welcome to join us for a few wee toots round the fire, shout up if your interested.
ATB Glenn.

torp

« Reply #233 on: May 14, 2017 »

Helen's Tower this Saturday 20th May anyone up for it????

No time for anything

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #234 on: May 14, 2017 »

Not me, wife's out for the night so I'm looking after the wee ones otherwise I'd have tried it.

torp

« Reply #235 on: May 21, 2017 »

Hoping for a 3/4 night trip starting Monday 22nd May either in the Mournes / Helens Tower,
if I get to the Mournes will either be Fofanny or Spelga with some fishing involved.

Heggs

« Reply #236 on: May 21, 2017 »

Fair play Torp, it'll be a few more years before I'll be able to do a 3-4 nighter! I've only camped once so far this year, can only manage to get out hiking right now  :(

torp

« Reply #237 on: May 21, 2017 »

Fair play Torp, it'll be a few more years before I'll be able to do a 3-4 nighter! I've only camped once so far this year, can only manage to get out hiking right now  :(
To be honest I think her indoors is just looking rid of me mate  ;D

torp

« Reply #238 on: June 09, 2017 »

Anyone up for a few nights just camping at either Spelga/Foffany next Mon/Tues or Wed? hope to chill and just do a bit o fishing ;D ;D ;D

Heggs

« Reply #239 on: June 09, 2017 »

I could be up for a wee night. I'll be working though so maybe 7pm to 6am Monday or Tues but not both. I could meet you there if you're planning a longer trip? Let me know what you're thinking mate
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017 by Heggs »
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 20

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]