Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Water filter  (Read 5048 times)

sandman1

• Newbie Poster
Water filter
« on: November 15, 2014 »

Has anybody any experience of using MSR/Katadyn type pump water filter systems. I'm trekking in Annapurna in April and reckon being able to drink from streams would be good. I reckon though it might nearly be of more use at home - I did Kerry Way this year and water was major problem, lots of sheep in Kerry. I find max I can carry with full hiking pack is 2 or a bit litres so 400g or so for filter seems a good option. Any views? Ciaran

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Water filter
« Reply #1 on: November 15, 2014 »

Hey Ciaran

The thing to watch out for with the MSR / Katadyn type filters is that they're mainly for filtering out sediment rather than biological agents or chemical contaminants. If you're worried about the sheep or agricultural runoff then a Water-To-Go bottle or a  Sawyer mini for your bladder pack would probably be the way to go.

We reviewed the Water to go on HB here

http://www.hikersblog.co.uk/water-to-go-water-filter-gear-review-2/

I've used mine in all sorts of dodgy scenarios and always been fine. I even filled it up from the lagan once to really prove its worth.

If after researching both of those you still have your heart set on the katadyn style, I have a katadyn hiker pump filter which isn't getting used, but if I'm honest you're better off with the Water to Go or the sawyer.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014 by Ed »
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
Re: Water filter
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2014 »

A second thumbs up on the water to go system. The only downfall of it at all I can manage is that it is a bottle and so requires you to hold it in your hand to drink. They have just released a 500ml version too, I checked with mine and both bottles have exactly the same lids and so the filters can be freely exchanged. This lets you use the cheaper original 200lt filters in either bottle.

sandman1

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2014 »

Cheers Ed, the pumps claim to clean everything except viruses and then you add tablets I suppose. Also for cooking, boiling water will sort problems anyway, although not sure if I'd drink Kerry mountain water even if boiled without filtering. Will look more into your suggestions. I'm a kit fiend so you might be able to unload your Katdyn here if price and spec is right, although MSR seems to shade it.
Ciaran

sandman1

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2014 »

Actually looking at Water to Go claims I'd wonder why anyone would go with the pump systems. I kind of overlooked these because of the funky colours. One thing I can't see is time taken to filter water? I'm not bothered about water for cooking, just long cool drinks - are these ok for that. C.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
Water filter
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2014 »

There's a decent flow on them Ciaran and combined with the natural coolness of mountain water you get a good refreshing glug out of them.
Must give the larger bottle a go Rich. Been meaning to sort something for the gym.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014 by Ed »
Team Bivvy!

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2014 »

There's a decent flow on them Ciaran and combined with the natural coolness of mountain water you get a good refreshing glug out of them.
Must give the larger bottle a go Rich. Been meaning to sort something for the gym.

I am guessing you mean the smaller bottle. It is handy enough, around the same height but slimmer. I'm not sure how useful it would be in a gym environment (have to wonder how backstreet your gym is to need one). I think the real place for the smaller bottles are things like the MMM and some of the Extreme 26 events, along with any other trail runs of longer distance. Since during those event you really don't have the time nor space to be faffing with pumps and tablets, you can just fill up and run on. The smaller bottles do come with a silicone band near the bottom part which runs over the filter timer you can see, I just removed mine as it prevents me from putting the bottle in my OMM waist pack.

Ed

• Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2014 »

Nice. That little fella would be just the ticket for the gym. Unfortunately our gym doesn't have a water fountain - their way of making you cough up for bottled water. This would allow me to fill up from the changing room sinks.
Team Bivvy!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]