Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Gobbins Path Reopens Today  (Read 3054 times)

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
Gobbins Path Reopens Today
« on: August 19, 2015 »

A dramatic cliff face walk in County Antrim designed and built over a century ago will reopen to the public later.
The Gobbins coastal path in Islandmagee was the brainchild of Irish railway engineer Berkley Deane Wise.
It opened in 1902 and quickly became famous as a white knuckle walk
Edwardian era visitors were able to have a close encounter with waves and wildlife.
The path, which is carved into black basalt cliffs, was an engineering triumph - it's connected by a network of walkways and bridges - the most iconic of which was the tubular bridge.
Post-war austerity spelt decline for the 1.5 mile walkway and it was closed to the public in the 1950s.
Since then only seabirds have enjoyed the stunning views from this part of our coastline.
Rumblings down the years about restoring the path finally turned into action in 2013, when the restoration project got under way. £7.5m has been spent replacing bridges, hand rails and constructing a new visitors centre.
The tubular bridge has been replaced with an almost identical replica.
While modern engineering methods have made the work safer, construction worker Paul Montgomery says he has an enhanced respect for those who built the original path.

"They did an immense job, because the beams I have seen from the old bridges were concrete cased and to get them down here would have been a feat in itself as there were no cranes in those days," he said.
"So I have a lot of respect for them."
While health and safety is more of a concern nowadays some things have not changed, including the steep walk down to the starting point - a hole through rock known as Wise's eye.
Before starting the Gobbins experience, visitors are given a safety briefing and a hard hat in the visitors centre, it's then on to a minibus for the two-mile journey to the path.
The walk is described as strenuous and is not suitable for everyone.
No-one under the height of 1.2m will be permitted, a good level of fitness is required and people with cardiac, respiratory, asthmatic or joint conditions are urged not to attempt it.
The route allows visitors to see coastal birds such as Puffins, Guillemots and Kittiwakes up close. It's also possible to spot porpoises off the coast.
This attraction has created some much needed employment in the area and one of the tour guides is Robert Stewart, a local farmer who has decided to try something new.
"I'm very enthusiastic about my new job," he said.
"Everybody knows about the Giant's Causeway but I think we have something here that can compete with the Giant's Causeway and is just as beautiful."
'Big hopes'
Groups of 10 to 15 will be guided along the bridges which cling to the cliff face just metres above the sea.
Tours should be booked in advance and the costs are £8.50 for adults, concessions £6 and a family rate of £23.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-33981824
http://www.thegobbinscliffpath.com/
http://www.discovernorthernireland.com/The-Gobbins-Islandmagee-Larne-P48901

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]