Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Ben Crom to Slievenaglogh to Silent Valley  (Read 4703 times)

Binnianboy

• Newbie Poster
Ben Crom to Slievenaglogh to Silent Valley
« on: August 24, 2017 »

Hey guys,

just a quick route question, heading up next week for a days hiking and was looking to do something a little different, my plan was to park in the silent valley, ascend Binnian and make my way down to the top of Ben crom reservoir, now I don't want to walk back down the road to the car park again so was thinking about coming back via Slievenaglogh. Is that possible from that side after crossing the reservoir and if so is there a viable route there? Do I need to ascend Ben crom mountain first? thanks any help is appreciated with this one.

Allan
If You Risk Nothing You Gain Nothing!

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Ben Crom to Slievenaglogh to Silent Valley
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017 »

Hey Binnianboy.  That is a lovely route you are talking about.  There is a clear way up to Binnian from Silent Valley over Moolieve and Wee Binnian.  Make sure you scramble up through the middle of Wee Binnian.  It is steep up Binnian from there and you may have to leave the wall a time or two to get round some rocks or slabs.  You don't need to cross the dam at Ben Crom, you can cross the Mill River further down nearer where it flows into the Silent Valley.  Staying fairly close to the shore you can cross the Bencrom, Shannagh and Miner's Hole rivers.  Check out the waterfall marked on the Miner's Hole River, then climb along the edge of Slievenaglogh, staying as close to the edge as it is sensible to do.  When you descend the wall SW from Slievenaglogh follow it down to the junction with the other wall at 294 224.  It is supposed to be boggy in the section where you might be tempted to cut the corner on your way back to Silent Valley.

Hope you get the weather.  If is pouring down the rivers may be a bit more tricky but ordinarily they are quite small.  The section along the edge of Slievenaglogh is great.  Have a good one. 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Binnianboy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2017 »

Thanks so much whoRya, that sounds exactly what I am after. I have taken that route up Binnian quite a number of times so know it very well, was just a bit unsure of the Slievenaglogh side of the reservoir, bit the river crossings and the climb along there sounds fantastic.

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2017 »

Well, did you manage to get out for a dander?
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Binnianboy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2017 »

I did Whorya, twas a great day, covered exactly the route we had discussed, it was a side of the silent valley I hadn't really seen before and its always nice to cover a new route in the Mournes, thanks for your advice

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]