Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Serious lack of carp on these forums  (Read 10133 times)

CarpyBugger

Serious lack of carp on these forums
« on: September 15, 2016 »

i
« Last Edit: May 22, 2020 by CarpyBugger »

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Serious lack of carp on these forums
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2016 »

Nice... Very Very Nice!

Where in Greyabbey did you scoop that out of the water.  Is it the wee lake just outside Greyabbey on the Portaferry Road?

[EDIT - Just saw your previous post and I see it is the wee lake I'm thinking of - The Swan Hole ;)]

I have never really fished fresh water much before due to the licensing issue.  Every time I get around to thinking about a licence is seems to be at this time of year and they don't last for 12 months from when you purchase it... I think they run out at the end of December, but they still charge you full price for the year.  I must remember to sort it in January for 2017.

I would be keen to start fishing fresh water, as I picked up a wee boat this year and have been using it on the Upper Bann and Lough Neagh.

The only fresh water fishing I have done recently was  for pike on a mates private lake, so no licence required  :)

Write up here: http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=4485.msg48885#msg48885

Anyway... enough about me lol... that's a crackin' Carp and I hope you get plenty more like it dude.

8)
« Last Edit: September 15, 2016 by Dowser »
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2016 »

That's an absolute monster of a fish, well done  :o
I never really understood the fishing license costs in NI. I thought it was closer to £100 a year, is £17 only if you aren't fishing for trout or salmon?

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2016 »

Hi CarpyBugger,

I live about 10 minutes from Loughgall and have always fancied a days fishing there, but its the licence issue again that's been holding me back.  I've walked around it a few times with the Dog and it does seem very popular with the Anglers.  I must remember to get a licence sorted in January!

I've done a bit of fishing around Arglass myself.  I work in Downpatrick through the week, so in the summer months it's nice to take a drive out after work and throw a line in to watch the sun go down and relax.  I fish at Sheeplands, if you have heard of it?  As before, I've another write up here:

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3607.msg38717#msg38717

There's something about camping and fishing combined that's hard to beat.  Especially if the fishing is productive and you get your dinner for the campfire.  I had a great nights fishing/camping on Strangford Lough back in July and I was able to catch a couple of mackerel for my starter  :D  Here's another the write-up, if your not fed up reading my waffle by now:

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=5233.0

PS, Welcome to the Forum CarpyBugger... We should really try and get a Fishing Camp arranged sometime.  It's something we've talked about doing on the forum a few times but never seem to get around to it.

8)
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2016 »

sorry for the delay in response

i had just written a nice reply untill my browser crashed and lost it for me :(
il try again later on fs ???

You live and learn lol... Has happened to me a couple of times too, so anytime I start writing an epic I open an MS Word Document in the background and copy and paste what I've typed into the word document, and hit save every so often.   If the browser crashes then you just copy and paste your text back in from the word document backup.

Sounds like a real hassle, but it's better than losing a half hours work, and it never seems to flow as easy second time around.

8)

« Last Edit: September 26, 2016 by Dowser »
See the View

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2016 »

You live and learn lol... Has happened to me a couple of times too, so anytime I start writing an epic I open an MS Word Document in the background and copy and paste what I've typed into the word document, and hit save every so often.   If the browser crashes then you just copy and paste your text back in from the word document backup.

Sounds like a real hassle, but it's better than losing a half hours work, and it never seems to flow as easy second time around.

8)

;D I thought that was just me. Once you lose one, you learn all right, especially when you have lost all your Flickr links and all that.   
« Last Edit: September 27, 2016 by whoRya »
"Not all those who wander are lost."

torp

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2016 »

Guys depending if you want to pay or not lol Donaldson's Fishery in Hollywood have two fish catch (Rainbow Trout) and overnight camping pitch for £20 only thing needed is a rod license £3.50 approx for 3/7 days.  Camping pitch is just a open grass field but has an outdoor BBQ stand built in stone for a gathering and drinky poo area.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2016 by torp »

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]