Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Pike oh yes!!!!!!  (Read 11855 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Pike oh yes!!!!!!
« on: October 28, 2013 »

Hopefully getting our first shot at some pike this weekend now that the trout season is coming to an end we have our fingers crossed for a few biggies...
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: Pike oh yes!!!!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2013 »

Hopefully getting our first shot at some pike this weekend now that the trout season is coming to an end we have our fingers crossed for a few biggies...

This is the first Pike I have ever caught:

and I plucked it out of here around about June 2013 :

There's a "No Way" story to go along with this catch.  I had a very limited amount of gear/tackle with me because it was a last minute decision to go fishing.  On my way home from work the sun was shining and the long evenings had arrived so I stopped off at the house, grab my tackle box (which is mostly sea fishing gear), my rod, a frozen mackerel from the freezer and my one and only wire pike trace that I'd picked up the week before in anticipation of this day.

When I got to the lake I got my rod all set up and attached a mackerel tail to the wire trace which consisted of two triple hooks.  On my first cast a flippin' whopper grabbed the bait within seconds of it hitting the water and I couldn't believe my luck but, it was short lived!!! 5 seconds later something happened, my line went slack and I lost my trace  >:(

After a few minutes of cursing I settled myself and started thinking like Bear Grylls... What could I use instead of the wire trace?  I hoked about in my tackle box and found a sea lure with a triple hook hanging at the tail end and decided to stick a bit of mackerel on that and see what happens.  Three casts later I struck lucky again.  Not really knowing what to do, with it being my first time pike fishing, I let the fish play about a bit before I started reeling it in.  About a minute into the reeling my line went slack again and another outburst of cursing followed.  I began winding in my line but there was still a bit of tension so I thought at least I still have my lure this time.  When I got the line fully wound in I couldn't believe what I saw... The mackerel bait was gone from my sea lure but in it's place was my original pike trace just hanging there completely intact and undamaged  :o

Thinking this as got to be a sign from above I reconnected the Pike Trace, added new bait, and started from scratch.

This time everything went according to plan... I cast out my line, sat back and watched my float for movement and sure enough I struck it lucky again  :)  I had hooked what felt to me like a complete whopper, considering 99% of the fish I have caught in the past are Mackerel, and the fight began.  I played with it a bit, wound it in a bit, let it out a bit... well you know how it goes, until I eventually got it landed.

First thing I noticed was the size of the flippin' teeth on the thing.  Fortunately I had the sense to buy a pair of pike forceps along with my pike trace and the trace came out of Mr Pike easily enough.  A quick photo shoot with Mr Pike took place and within a minute or two he was off swimming again until the next time I decided to try my luck at pike fishing.

It was a great experience and I'm not quite sure why I have been back yet but reminiscing here with my fishy tail has given me a notion and I might take the kids pike fishing this weekend.

Good Luck this weekend yourself Glenn and I hope you get a few Biggies and a story to tell.  It's the most exciting fish I have ever caught!

8)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2013 »

one i got from the Quolie -

199191_5591404859_2126_n by paul surginor, on Flickr

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013 »

Mourneman you boss  8)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013 »

Thats a biggun  :o  maybe it caught John  ;D
think outside, no box required

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013 »

When you push the button on the side of it does it sing a song ;)
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013 »

No pike today they are a bit hard to hook when your a taxi driver for your kids all day :'(
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]