Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: mackeral  (Read 47936 times)

Spud

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • "I'd rather be camping"
mackeral
« on: June 14, 2011 »

think i'll head out tonight for a spot of mackeral fishing after work, looks like it gonna be a good evening for it!  ;D

Scribble

• Hero Poster
Re: mackeral
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2011 »

think i'll head out tonight for a spot of mackeral fishing after work, looks like it gonna be a good evening for it!  ;D

A few mackies on the BBQ you can't beat it  ;D , do you use feathers or do you have a bit of fun with them on a really light rod
Everywhere is within walking distance if you have the time.

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2011 »

A few mackies on the BBQ you can't beat it  ;D , do you use feathers or do you have a bit of fun with them on a really light rod

depends, if I am looking to get a load of them (for pike bait  ;D) then I will use heavy line etc, but for fun its hard to beat a light rod with a spinner, if you get a decent sized one it can put up a bit of a scrap, great fun!!  ;D

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2011 »

Where do you fish from? We were pondering at the weekend whether the mackerel season would have started yet but I forgot to look it up.

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2011 »

From talking to my brother he said fishing from a boat is the best bet right now and from the rocks in 2-3 weeks.

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2011 »

Where do you fish from? We were pondering at the weekend whether the mackerel season would have started yet but I forgot to look it up.
i go to st johns point up from the lighthouse, it might be a bit early yet but i have caught them off the rocks earlier than this, headin out now so will let you know how i get on!

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2011 »

just back, conditions were less than ideal, very windy! Didnt get any mackeral but got a nice wee pollock which will make a nice meal for mrs pike at a later stage lol and it was good to get out in the fresh air!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2011 »

How easy is it to fish from the shore down there? Also, do you know what the general feeling is on camping there?

just back, conditions were less than ideal, very windy! Didnt get any mackeral but got a nice wee pollock which will make a nice meal for mrs pike at a later stage lol and it was good to get out in the fresh air!

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2011 »

How easy is it to fish from the shore down there? Also, do you know what the general feeling is on camping there?

Bit of a walk over the rocks but nothing major, once you are there the fishing is very easy, I am sure a couple of people could camp down there on the q.t, but like so many places it would be where to leave the car overnight that would be the problem!

Spud

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011 »

a couple of pics taken at where I fish, one night when the mackeral were really running! we had great fun watching them chase the fry!

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2011 »

good luck finding mackeral ANYWHERE !

it used to be almost a guaranteed certainty to catch em almost everywhere in the summer months,especially the favorite spots like bangor,ardglass and carrickfergus, even st johns point only has a few at the minute.

the big factory boats have started targeting them in the last few years so the huge swarms of them are no more , those boats life 500tonnes of fish at a time and now norway and iceland are trawling for them.

sure, they show up here and there in big numbers but nothing like they did years ago.

im in a nation wide kayak fishing forum and the reports are the same all round the coast. not just this year but for the last couple of years.

of course, these muppets who take home as many macks as they can catch dont help either. and the usual bull about `catching them for the neighbours `  should be met by a hard punch in the face ....

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2011 »

of course, these muppets who take home as many macks as they can catch dont help either. and the usual bull about `catching them for the neighbours `  should be met by a hard punch in the face ....

Bit harsh.
No one goes inside to clear their head

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #12 on: June 25, 2011 »

Class pictures Redspud, St johns point always provides the goods for me, touch wood. I normally fish to the left of the light house before the slipway though im always being told to go just below the lighthouse but when ive done this i get dang all!  Myself and 2 mates are hoping to go there next weekend for a bit of fishing and a couple of beers, were gowin to take the tent and although it would be pretty cool to camp there we'l probably go back to 'killybegs motorhome stopover', its a nice wee campsite with showers and a pretty nice view. High tides around 7 oclock so we should stand a good chance of gettin a few.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2011 »

Make sure you have a go at Slieve League while you are down there mate.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #14 on: June 26, 2011 »

Mornin lad, i had thought about trying to get that squeezed in but im not sure if i would have the time or the other two lads would be interested in it, however, i say with a crafty smile, i would be interested in a return trip to it before the end of the summer, maybe do a bit of walking and an overnighter, i dont know if youd be allowed to camp on it or if theres a site near by but the views in the morning would be sweet.
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]