Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Guest Information

This forum is intended as a meeting place for anyone from Northern Ireland interested in outdoor activities. Everyone's welcome and we're family friendly covering just about anything on land and sea. Members organise events regularly and there's always plenty of chat on all aspects of outdoor life in Northern Ireland and you'll get plenty of information on any topic that takes your interest.

Not all sections are available to non-members so click here to sign up for free today and join us for some outdoors fun!

Click here for basic information on the forum and here for how to post events.

Forum News

Upcoming Events

There are currently no events in the next 30 days.
Some events are only visible to members. Click here to register for free

Follow NI-Wild

Tweets

Contact us if you would like added to this feed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
 on: June 22, 2017, 01:33:55 pm 
Started by NeilB - Last post by NeilB
Kids are finally old enough to go camping properly.

If anyone has gear, be it tents or sleeping bags or cooking equipment drop me a message.

Anything considered.

Thanks NB1

on: June 22, 2017, 01:28:37 pm 
Started by Big Dod - Last post by NeilB
I would take the other half, already have the akto

on: June 21, 2017 
Started by whoRya - Last post by specimanYak
Brilliant, that's an excellent location, those bivvy photos over-looking the coast are out-standing and it's good to know there's an available water source there.

on: June 20, 2017 
Started by whoRya - Last post by Heggs
Nice one, looks like a great spot!

on: June 19, 2017 
Started by whoRya - Last post by whoRya
Thought I would share a few pics of a recent bivvy I had up on Lurigethan in the Antrim Hills.  Lurigethan sits at the NE end of the upland plateau that forms one side of the 'Queen of the Glens' Glenariff.  Best viewed from the glen itself it also forms a dramatic backdrop for the villages of Waterfoot and Cushendall.

Starting from the village of Waterfoot we set off on the short journey along minor roads, then farm tracks, which delivered us on to the open mountainside.  A steep and steady pull brought us to the top of Lurigethan and to the site of an old promontory fort.  We then followed the cliff edge for a few kms to explore a waterfall marked on the map.

The waterfall has several dramatic drops and is quite a stunning place.  We agreed that it would be a great place to spend a few lazy hours on a nice summer's day.  It was now dusk and with the failing light we took the cautious approach, leaving the waterfall behind while we could still see our way clearly. 

The following are a couple of photos from an earlier walk on Lurigethan.

Rain showers passed through some distance to both the north and the south of our location, but it was so far so good for us.

We then set off towards the high point of the plateau, Crockalough (402m).  Were it not night time the views would really open from here towards Tievebulliagh to the north and Trostan to the west.  Following the high line of the mountain we proceeded in a NE direction back towards Lurigethan.  It wasn't long before we found a suitable spot to camp and set ourselves up for the night.

With the chance of a rain shower overnight I got to setting up a tarp over my bivvy.  My friend, not owning a tarp himself improvised with a rubble sack and some paracord.  The result was well functional if a little amusing to look at.

Cups of tea and entertainment in the form of a firelog saw us through to the wee small hours before turning in.

Improvised tarp

Looking across Glenariff to the Garron Plateau

The next morning was dry and bright and it seemed a pity to have to go home so soon.  A seriously heavy rain shower whilst driving home confirmed that the weather had been more than kind to us.     

Started by torp - Last post by spin
Thanks so much for your reply

Started by Ciaran82 - Last post by RedLeader
Welcome!

Started by torp - Last post by RedLeader
DD Hammocks are pretty good and quite well respected. Like Torp said, midges can be an issue so a net is worth considering.

Does anyone have any suggestions re hammocks? Not for hardcore wild camping more for a bit of swinging (i.e. lounging - not doing something dodgy with someone else's partner!!)

Started by Marlowe - Last post by RedLeader
Hi and welcome. I'm starting to cycle myself but I don't think I'm game enough to cycle & camp yet :)
Annalong will be the perfect spot to do a bit of testing and messing with Bushcraft. Good luck  8)

Started by marceemarc - Last post by RedLeader
As long as you have a good bivvy bag and have clothing for all weathers it should be grand. I found comfy bivvying was more about finding a gearset I really liked and I never really had a bad night when I was choosing which bits I liked best. At the end of the day you're really just sleeping in a big waterproof bag so assuming it works as expected things should be fine.

My main consideration was wanting a tarp above me and getting it pitched when there are no trees about can be a pain if it's windy but that's mostly just experience. The one thing I tend to forget in the dark is to bring in all my gear so it doesn't get wet. The number of times I've accidentally left by boots where the rain can get to them is embarrassing. Putting your feet into a boot full of water first thing in the morning is pretty unpleasant  :o

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics