Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Finally I finished editing the Kilimanjaro footage  (Read 3610 times)

seanbranagh

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Top Poster
    • branagh.ie

It seems getting sat down to edit the hours of Gopro footage I have from the Kilimanjaro trip was almost as much effort as climbing the mountain in the first place.
I am not much of a video editor but I hope anyone thinking about Kilimanjaro can use it to see what to expect, terrain, the various camps etc.
The music is just that from Youtube's free music library.
It is 27 minutes long and covers the entire 8 day trip but obviously the best footage is from the summit, towards the end;

Darran

• Top Poster
Re: Finally I finished editing the Kilimanjaro footage
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015 »

Very nice work! I'm tired just watching it.

I have to say, never mind the mountain, the most impressive bit has bound to be 19:27.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015 by Darran »

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015 »

Are you talking about the porter with the bag on his head and his arms folded? I never actually noticed it in the video until now.
Yeah, those guys are absolutely outstanding! It is all just in a day's work for them.
Some of the more experienced guys (and girls) will climb the mountain twice a month and without them (carrying all the gear and supplies) people like me would never be able to do it.

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015 »

Yea! Sorry about that, I've fixed the link in the last post. Certainly looks like a good adventure. I would imagine the air to be fairly thin at the top.

seanbranagh

• Top Poster
    • branagh.ie
« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015 »

I didn't not even know that you could link to a specific time within a Youtube video. Now I do  :) Thank you.

Yeah, It's about 49% the amount of Oxygen as at sea level.
It has the all the effects people tell you about with altitude, shortness of breath, headaches, exhaustion. In my case I also had nosebleeds also due to the dry air.
The other aspect I found is just how much it can affect your concentration. After spending 15-20 minutes around the summit, I started back down.
In the meantime the sun had come up and it was getting hot, fast so I stopped to pack a couple of layers of clothes into my backpack, put on some sunscreen and sunglasses.
That all sounds like a very simple task but I can remember it being incredibly difficult and hugely over complicated because my brain was just not working.
Thankfully one of our very experienced guides was there and able to help keep me focused on what I was doing, but it made me realize just how easy it can be for people to get into trouble and make bad decisions at altitude.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015 »

Some nice views there a worthwhile trip to make, but I am a little confused. It looked like everyone was carrying a small 25L day sack or such. Were you not carrying all your own gear?

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015 »

Porters carry all the stuff as mentioned above. In the video you can see them overtaking the walkers regularly, they probably take the camp down, tents etc, then catch up and overtake to have camp set up again.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015 »

That looks like a fantastic experience.  I'm sure many people aren't so fortunate to get the views.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]