Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Jetboil on a budget  (Read 8700 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Jetboil on a budget
« on: October 07, 2014 »

Saw this on the Alpkit site today and can't wait to get one to try out. They have brought out what appears to be an almost exact clone of the jetboil but for a price of £35. Currently out of stock but it is due back in late October and listed as being on time.

https://www.alpkit.com/products/brukit

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: Jetboil on a budget
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2014 »

I'm not surprised that sold out. Looks like a great bit of kit and Alpkit are usually reliable. Although I did have issues with their self inflating mats.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2014 »

I look forward to your gear review Rich  ;)
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2014 »

Just spotted while nosing today you can get the pot for this without the stove mount. When you consider that the stove with it's shield fin things is actually heavier than the total pot weight it raises the eyebrows, plus it adds £15 to the cost compared to just £20 for the pot alone. The pot still comes with a lid and sleeve, since I already have a small msi type stove I saw little point in lugging the jetboil style one along with me. While it has some nice features I refuse to believe those three fin things make any more than 20% difference to boil times etc.

Anyway the Brupot is in stock at Alpkit, setting for £20 delivered here in NI, tt has coated folding handles, includes a lid and neoprene sleeve. Spec wise it weighs in at 222g, capacity of 1lt, and according to the spec sheet dimensions it should happily take just about any brand of canister slotted inside. Specification sheet says an internal diameter of 11.3cm, a Primus can comes in just over 9cm wide, and Gelert type ones come in at around 10.8cm

https://www.alpkit.com/products/brupot

Just ordered mine, at this price even if the heat exchanger is pap then it is still a well priced cooking pot and something for times when my msi ultra is too small.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2014 »

Fascinating Rich, thanks for this. I'll defo be ordering one of those pots if nothing else. Do you reckon it would work on a Trangia burner?

I think one of the benefits of the whole stove / pot set is that with the Jetboil anyway, they clip together meaning you can actually hold it while it boils. It can also be hung. Obviously it's not a crucial function outside multipitch climbing but it's a thought anyway. Also, with a Jetboil the burner actually sits inside the fins rather than beneath which I think adds even more efficiency.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2014 »

I think the Alpkit site states your stove needs to be able to provide a 9cm+ wide support to use on this pot, that will include just about any of the msi type clones out there.

I like the jetboil system and the base for this pot looks handy as it also seems to clip on. But when you are adding on over 100% weight to your system, and 75% cost then it had better well give a huge efficiency boost, I personally cannot see how just have three side guards to the stove can give you more than perhaps 20% extra efficiency over having them simply open as per most stoves. In that regard the unit effectiveness to cost ratio is just too far out of sync for my pocket.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2014 »

Agreed. Sounds like a good old fashioned boil test is needed, get that stopwatch out :)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]