Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Advice on gps for geocaching.  (Read 6733 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Advice on gps for geocaching.
« on: October 06, 2014 »

Knowing absolutely nothing about gps or geocaching im after all the info I can milk from you guys. I think it would be a good wee activity to get into as it adds I bit more interest when out in the hills for the wee fella so any recommendations on gps units would be great.

Cheers Glenn.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Advice on gps for geocaching.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2014 »

If you're on a budget get yourself a used Garmin Etrex Vista HCX (don't go for the CX version, loses signal in trees) for about £40 off ebay and I can show you how to get free 1:50k UK maps. For about £100 you could probably pick up the latest model Garmin 20 or 30 which has the advantage of downloading more info about the geocache such as the hint to find it and previous finders logs (the Vista will only download its location). I started out with the TomTom from the car!, got about 100 geocaches using it but it was fiddly, then I moved onto the Vista HCX then the Garmin 20. Of course you can spend over £400 on a GPS if you really want  :)  Visit www.geocaching.com for some more advice, they have some video tutorials which i've never actually watched. If you want to try before you then give me a shout next time your in the hills and i'll join you for a dander.
think outside, no box required

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2014 »

Thanks for the info Liam I might take you up on the old try before I buy ploy as im totally clueless when it comes to gadgets :-[ Tom and I are hoping to get out for a few danders over the comming weeks and will definitely give you a shout.

Much appreciated
Glenn.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2014 »

It does help if you are a bit of a gadget nerd like me  ;D

spynappels

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2014 »

You could just download an app for your smartphone to try it out, something like c:geo or even the Groundspeak app work well for getting a taster, and for urban(ish) caches, are just as reliable/good as a standalone GPSR.

One tip though: Get a 3 month Premium subscription for ~£8, it really is worth it if you get bitten by the bug as it allows you to do more advanced searches such as along a route, or for new caches in the last week. These searches are called Pocket Queries and can be emailed to you automatically.

For a starter, I'd recommend a 3 month Premium membership and using c:geo (Am on Android, not sure if it's available for Apple). If you get into it, you'll possibly go for a year long Premium membership anyway and have something like a Garmin 20 as a backup unit or for using out on the hills proper.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2014 »

Doh! I don't have a smartphone so never considered that option  :-[ 

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2014 »

Viewranger also allows you to use gps or just about any other method of co-ordinate finding, and will have a handy os map on your screen too. Could well end up costing you a fraction of a devoted device until you decide if you actually need one.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2014 »

You can get apps for most smartphones for Geocaching. It's become more involved these days but the basics are still the same - you get a grid reference and a clue from somewhere like geocaching.com and you make your way to the co-ords and try and find something that someone has hidden. You can use anything that gives you a GPS latitude/longitude so most modern phones, your car GPS or a hiking GPS.

I have a Garmin eTrex HCX in the house that I replaced with a Satmap (bad move). You're welcome to borrow it, is only lying there unused.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2014 »

Thanks for the feedback guys I had a closer look at this geocaching malarkey at geocaching.com and there's a lot more too it than I thought.  Downloaded the View Ranger app for the phone which will definitely do us to get started in and around our local area but I still think I'll move on to a gps unit for up in the hills as they look alot more robust than my phone and waterproof which is another added bonus not to mention the navigation skills which I dont really have with a map and compass :-[
« Last Edit: October 09, 2014 by Glenn B »

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2014 »

What have you started Glenn!!!

Considered the whole geocashing thing as trivial nonsense.  Looked at geocashing.com today for the first time ever. Signed on and me and the kids have 2 found already.  This could be addictive.
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2014 »

Ha ha ha I know its got me too we're heading out today to see if we can bag a few. Good luck lol.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]