Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Lurigethan bivvy - May 17  (Read 5739 times)

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Lurigethan bivvy - May 17
« on: June 19, 2017 »

Thought I would share a few pics of a recent bivvy I had up on Lurigethan in the Antrim Hills.  Lurigethan sits at the NE end of the upland plateau that forms one side of the 'Queen of the Glens' Glenariff.  Best viewed from the glen itself it also forms a dramatic backdrop for the villages of Waterfoot and Cushendall.

Starting from the village of Waterfoot we set off on the short journey along minor roads, then farm tracks, which delivered us on to the open mountainside.  A steep and steady pull brought us to the top of Lurigethan and to the site of an old promontory fort.  We then followed the cliff edge for a few kms to explore a waterfall marked on the map.

The waterfall has several dramatic drops and is quite a stunning place.  We agreed that it would be a great place to spend a few lazy hours on a nice summer's day.  It was now dusk and with the failing light we took the cautious approach, leaving the waterfall behind while we could still see our way clearly. 

The following are a couple of photos from an earlier walk on Lurigethan.

Rain showers passed through some distance to both the north and the south of our location, but it was so far so good for us.

We then set off towards the high point of the plateau, Crockalough (402m).  Were it not night time the views would really open from here towards Tievebulliagh to the north and Trostan to the west.  Following the high line of the mountain we proceeded in a NE direction back towards Lurigethan.  It wasn't long before we found a suitable spot to camp and set ourselves up for the night.

With the chance of a rain shower overnight I got to setting up a tarp over my bivvy.  My friend, not owning a tarp himself improvised with a rubble sack and some paracord.  The result was well functional if a little amusing to look at.

Cups of tea and entertainment in the form of a firelog saw us through to the wee small hours before turning in.

Improvised tarp

Looking across Glenariff to the Garron Plateau

The next morning was dry and bright and it seemed a pity to have to go home so soon.  A seriously heavy rain shower whilst driving home confirmed that the weather had been more than kind to us.     
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Heggs

Re: Lurigethan bivvy - May 17
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2017 »

Nice one, looks like a great spot!

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2017 »

Brilliant, that's an excellent location, those bivvy photos over-looking the coast are out-standing and it's good to know there's an available water source there.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2017 »

Looks fantastic. I've not been up to the Glens for a few years now. I keep talking about getting up there but not being confident on where to park or where you can camp without some angry farmer turning up puts me off.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2017 »

Looks great up there,  cracking views to wake up too ;)
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2017 »

Some of the views along the coast and dropping into the glens are fantastic.

You mention the access in the in the Antrim Hills.  I got an email today from Walk NI and they mentioned a few new walks opened up in the Antrim Hills/Causeway Coast.

Ronan's Way  The photos of this look really nice.

Fairhead  I've not walked at Fairhead yet but the walking up there seems quite extensive.

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Rumblebum

• Hero Poster
  • Fred! Come over here and smoke the meat!
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2017 »

That looks like a cracking wee night mate!

well done!
Youl never walk alone, youuul neveeer walllk......

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]