Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: 2 Night Trip Helens Tower  (Read 7390 times)

torp

2 Night Trip Helens Tower
« on: April 15, 2017 »

Was lucky enough to enjoy a 2 night trip to Helens Tower this week ;D ;D ;D

« Last Edit: April 19, 2017 by torp »

No time for anything

• Newbie Poster
Re: 2 Night Trip Helens Tower
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017 »

Looks like you got some nice weather for the trip, not be long before I can shoulder a rucksack now, managed skiing with no problems, only problems was getting out of bed with back lol

torp

« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2017 »

Just takes a bit of time mate hopefully you'll be ready for this yrs Xmas Dinner lol ;) only joking hope your up and about soon bud and we can get out again ;D
« Last Edit: April 25, 2017 by torp »

No time for anything

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2017 »

Cheers bud, the hammocks look interesting, was speaking to Glenn about them before and might give them a try this summer for a change, look comfy enough

torp

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017 »

Yes mate defo are, but your better trying them in the good weather as the lose of body heat from below can be bad on cold nights if you want to read a bit about it try here as it explains everything you need to know about them;

https://theultimatehang.com/
« Last Edit: April 27, 2017 by torp »

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2017 »

Fantastic, looks like a great trip. You get up to much while you were up there or just chilling out?

torp

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2017 »

Just a chill out mate even had the grand kids up for a couple of hours ;) crying match when they had to get of the hammock though, the wee man screamed the place down ( it was nice and quiet when he left :D).
Did get approached by a warden on horse back who wasn't too pleasant in his manner and seemed to think we weren't allowed to camp there, but after a chat he just seemed more interested in us not leaving a mess or litter ;)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2017 »

Interesting that the warden came by, hopefully when he saw you left the place tidy he'll not bother you again. Do you know who owns the land? I daresay you're not supposed to camp there but you'd like to think they'd show a bit of discretion. Isn't like you were a teen guzzling alcopops and causing a nuisance.

Just a chill out mate even had the grand kids up for a couple of hours ;) crying match when they had to get of the hammock though, the wee man screamed the place down ( it was nice and quiet when he left :D).
Did get approached by a warden on horse back who wasn't too pleasant in his manner and seemed to think we weren't allowed to camp there, but after a chat he just seemed more interested in us not leaving a mess or litter ;)

torp

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2017 »

Interesting that the warden came by, hopefully when he saw you left the place tidy he'll not bother you again. Do you know who owns the land? I daresay you're not supposed to camp there but you'd like to think they'd show a bit of discretion. Isn't like you were a teen guzzling alcopops and causing a nuisance.

I said the only that would be left in view would be our fire surround as per the photo's and as usual left no other traces (except the alcopops and the bag of dirty mags) ;D ;D ;)

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2017 »

I Imagine it is owned by Clandeboye.

http://www.clandeboye.co.uk/helens-tower/

If this is the case then there is no warden just a lady Dufferin employee. It might have been the game keeper, Barry or one of his three sons.

torp

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017 »

Hi Matt,
           he was in his 60's I would say, I think we met the warden when Yak, Glen & I where out last year on the other side of the forest and he said we where allowed to camp anywhere on the other side of the main track. ;D
« Last Edit: May 01, 2017 by torp »

ripper

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2017 »

love it

TomFR

• Newbie Poster
  • Get out and explore
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2017 »

Nice hammock gear!

torp

« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2017 »

It was mate very comfortable but had to sell it on as I was struggling getting in and out of it with my medical conditions  .

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]