Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Time and distance  (Read 4525 times)

boron

• Jr. Poster
  • Far have I travelled much have I seen.
Time and distance
« on: October 10, 2016 »

Hi all,
I understand the importance of route planning when on serious expeditions. I was wondering if you guys do it when on a dander in the mourns.As I got older I found it less important to stick to plans and when out I enjoyed playing it by ear. Long gone are my days of having to be at grid 456789 by a certain time. At the summit by a daft o'clock or back at the car by last light.Some of my most enjoyable walks were well off the regular routes(safety in mind) my time and distance appreciation is good but I always find myself stopping to look at things and talk to cows etc. I don't mind walking x country at night it doesn't worry me at all as my navigation skills are good. It has also gave me an opportunity to over nite or bivi up.Ive had some great nights on my own, you know what I mean(not listening to others farting,burping,laughing, talking shit etc lol.) Thoughts and comments please?

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Time and distance
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2016 »

The Mournes are pretty compact, you can definitely just pick a starting point and have a wander and see where you end up. I suppose I'm usually either heading somewhere to meet people or leaving late in the day where I don't want to have no destination in mind if it's an overnighter. I suppose even on a day hike I'd always have half an eye on what time I need to be home so I'd have a vague route in mind that would be the right time/distance.

I like to think I'm free and easy but really I'm probably like John Cleese in Clockwise  ::)

Fred

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2016 »

I would rarely make detailed plans for day walks in the Mournes relying on Naismiths rules or whatever. I have enough experience to know that I will reach a certain point by a certain time. That's mostly good enough and less stressful than working to a schedule.

fred
Theres nothing like an Irish summer...
...Except an Irish winter

johnnya

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2016 »

Apologies for jumping in but is there still secure parking at carrick little, last time we were out that direction we had went for an unplanned dander ended up staying the night in Anna long wood then back to Donald car park the next morning...good times

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2016 »

Yes, Carrick Plant Hire part way up the lane has secure day and overnight parking for £3 & £5.

Apologies for jumping in but is there still secure parking at carrick little, last time we were out that direction we had went for an unplanned dander ended up staying the night in Anna long wood then back to Donald car park the next morning...good times

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]