Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Camping in mourns  (Read 5926 times)

Jason01

• Newbie Poster
Camping in mourns
« on: August 01, 2016 »

Hi folks fairly new to camping I have been trying to get my wife and kids to go camping for few years now instead off sunny holidays so finally got them talked round last Friday so got in contact with bloody bridge campsite booked in for Saturday me wife an 3 kids then my 2 friends booked their family's on to so we all packed up and headed to bloody bride from Belfast got their around 6 Saturday evening took us till 9 to figure out how the tents went up but got their in the end lol their was little metal fire pits all round so wee got sum old dead wood and lit a little fire in the pit that was their wee where loving life kids had marshmallows on little sticks toasting them then white car pulled up an real ignernt man he was the owner that wee booked with put the fire out and told us to get off the camp site as wee wear not aloud to burn the dead wood so packed up with crying kids that wanted to camp that was are first time camping I'm just hoping there Sum one on here can point us in the rite direction off sumwher wee can camp with small fire that wee can burn into the nite many thanks jay

specimanYak

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • Videos
Re: Camping in mourns
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2016 »

Hi Jay, you could always try Annalong Wood. It's easy to get too, secure parking, room for the kiddos to run around, plenty of fire-wood and no problems with keeping a fire lit til the early hours. We've all camped there at some time and it's a bit of a regular haunt now, Hotel Annalong!
All the best with it!

Campervic

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2016 »

UK Campsites, the website, has a search facility for campsites that do allow campfires, although none of them will want you up late especially if you are laughing or talking loudly. Most people respect the 10pm time as there are other campers with children maybe trying to get to sleep but certainly excessive noise after midnight would not be tolerated.

Maybe rather than look for somewhere that will let you have a campfire very late you could ensure you keep the noise down and be considerate of other campers.

Jason01

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2016 »

Thanks for the reply folks specimanyak just checking annalong wood out here ATM looks great spot

Jason01

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2016 »

Campervic everyone else had a fire burning and a lady that stopped us on the way out says use not staying an when we explained to her wat happened she couldn't believe and told us its be cause we didn't buy his logs when wee arrived their was no one about no signal on are fones wee asked sum of the campers that we're their and they said the same thing that thee was no one about to ask

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2016 »

Have a read at this for some useful advice ;)

http://semi-rad.com/2016/07/12-ways-make-friends-campground/
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2016 »

That would likely be Frank that owns the site. He provides garden burners and will sell you logs to burn in them, I think it's a way he supplements his income from the camping. He doesn't like the dead wood lying around being burned for reasons I can't remember but probably farming / ecology related. I'm pretty surprised he chucked you out if he hadn't told you not to burn the dead wood, that seems pretty unfair. We've been there a few times and while Frank can be a big grumpy, he's always been fine.

You wont find many official camp sites that will allow any sort of open fire, it generally makes too much mess and is a risk. Ironically Bloody Bridge is one of the only proper camp sites I know in the Mournes area that allows fires but as said above, only in fire pits and with wood sold by the owner.

Campervic

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2016 »

I can see why a campsite wouldn't want wood salvaged from the site after camping in Sandilands a few years ago and seeing the damage some people were doing to the adjacent hedge, they were just breaking bits off it and any trees to burn on their fire as well as breaking branches while they were rooting around the base of it looking for fallen wood. They just didn't give a damn about what they were doing and the state they left the place in.

Jason01

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2016 »

Thanks red leader after searching through the Internet found a campsite just up the road that you are aloud to burn small fire all nite as long as I provide the logs so booked in for next weekend. Campervic it was just twigs we had lit in the pit he had sitting for kids to have marshmallows on the fire no body damaged headges or anything off the sort as we would respect anywer we went thanks

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2016 »

Interesting, which site is that? Have a great weekend  8)

Thanks red leader after searching through the Internet found a campsite just up the road that you are aloud to burn small fire all nite as long as I provide the logs so booked in for next weekend. Campervic it was just twigs we had lit in the pit he had sitting for kids to have marshmallows on the fire no body damaged headges or anything off the sort as we would respect anywer we went thanks

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]