Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• May Day Family Fofanny Fiesta: April 30, 2016 - May 01, 2016
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: May Day Family Fofanny Fiesta 30 Apr/1st May  (Read 13972 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

It's been a quiet start to the year, it's time for some outdoors fun. I have a young'un who's absolutely itching to get camping. So this May Day bank holiday weekend I'm aiming to take her for her first camp. Plan is to go somewhere easily accessible for kids, I'm thinking of the wood at Fofanny Reservoir where the Mourne Way comes through.

What : Family Camp
When : Sat/Sun 30th Apr / 1st May
Where : Fofanny Reservoir

I'm saying Fiesta but realistically, that's because Family Fofanny Fiesta sounds clever but I'm really just thinking of chilling around the fire and letting the kids cook sausages and toast marshmallows etc. If anyone wants to bring a Piñata and Quesadillas or sit around and talk about Ford motor cars then crack on ;)

Everyone's welcome with or without kids but we'll want to keep it kid friendly. Obviously if the weather looks dubious closer to the time then plans might change.

Please remember to read and accept the Safety & Responsibility notice if you want to come. You can find it here:
Safety & Responsibility

Potential camp spot:
« Last Edit: October 06, 2016 by admin »

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
Re: May Day Family Fofanny Fiesta 30 Apr/1st May
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2016 »

Count me in..! My kids have been asking me to take them camping for months, but the weather has been awful  :'(

Everyone's welcome with or without kids but we'll want to keep it kid friendly.

I guess that means I wont be bringing my favourite toasting forks  ::)

8)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

fourman

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2016 »

Gonna try and make this one with the youngster on tow , will be good to catch up with you guys again.

torp

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2016 »

Redleader hopefully myself plus one if that's OK

Heggs

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2016 »

Sounds great, I was going to bring one or two of my kids camping this weekend. Only thing is, my eldest has a sore ankle at the minute. Would there be much of a walk? If it's not far from the car then we can take it slow and you can count me in!

torp

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2016 »

make that plus 2

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2016 »

Great stuff guys. Firstly, we're keeping a bit of an eye on the weather. It's been unseasonably cold and the Met Office can't seem to decide what is happening at the weekend rain-wise. I'm thinking we'll make a decision closer to the day when we can see a rainfall radar. Assuming it's only showery then I'd suspect we'll still go. Maybe if anyone who has a tarp could bring it then we could get a bit of a decent shelter up.

Heggs : It depends on where you want to park. If you look at the map above, there is a car park at the bottom that we're thinking of (it's at the Ott Track).  It's about half a mile from there to the camp spot and the last part is down a decent hill. It's basically following the red line of the Mourne Way. You could also park just on the road at the top of the forest, that's where we all parked at Xmas. However, none of those are secure car parks so everyone would be assuming their own parking risks. The closest secure parking is at Meelmore Lodge which is a bit further away. You can PM me if you want any more specific info.

torp

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2016 »

Red
Ive got a spare tarp if you want me to bring that with the poles

Heggs

« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2016 »

My daughters ankle has gotten worse so going to have to give this one a miss. Maybe next time  :-[
Red Leader, thanks for the info you posted
Enjoy yourselves guys!

torp

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2016 »

Well Red is it on or off mate

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2016 »

I'm thinking I'll still crack on. The weather looks like a chilly-ish weekend with showers through Sat afternoon, dry Saturday night and showers again Sunday morning. Think I can deal with a bit of rain on Saturday afternoon, it's to be okay in the night and if it's too wet Sunday morning I'll just head for bacon and eggs at Meelmore Lodge 8) The wind is also in the SW which should mean Fofanny gets a bit of shelter.

Forecast here:
http://www.metoffice.gov.uk/public/weather/forecast/gceu3yrn3#?fcTime=1461974400

As Dowser sensibly pointed out, it's the Tour of Ulster on Sunday morning with cyclists coming by on the Slievenaman Road at around 11am so I'll probably not leave my car on the road. I'll park there, get the kit and kids down, then take it to the car park. Though I suppose if it was okay Sunday morning we could go watch the race come by.

I'd say I'll aim to be setting up camp around 3pm.

What does everyone think?

Well Red is it on or off mate

torp

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2016 »

sounds good red however my plus 2 are not able to make it so will just be myself, you still want an extra tarp?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2016 »

Yeah, that would be good if you could. I'll have one but another would be handy.

sounds good red however my plus 2 are not able to make it so will just be myself, you still want an extra tarp?

torp

« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2016 »

no problem, hammock or tent advised

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2016 »

Either would likely be fine but a tent would be warmer. Is defo a cold snap at the moment. Plus if it's showery in the afternoon, hammocks seem to take much longer to put up :)

no problem, hammock or tent advised
Pages: [1] 2 3

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]