Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Gullie Traverse  (Read 25091 times)

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Gullie Traverse
« Reply #30 on: July 28, 2009 »

Trip was good but very hard. The torrential rain wasn't that nice either. The Ben crom gully is very dangerous but would still like a look at it from the bottom.Still in pain to day.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

MG1

• Hero Poster
« Reply #31 on: July 28, 2009 »

Also if you hate midges do NOT go down this Gully i've never been attacked by as many in my life, this also made the down climb very difficult >:(
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #32 on: July 31, 2009 »

Did anyone get round to doing a writeup on this? I'm dying to hear how it all went.

jusmeig

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2012 »

Hi folks,

We were thinking of doing Great Gully on Ben Crom and was wondering if anyone has any advice on the route?

Would you advise wearing a helmet/rope, or is it a pure scrambling root. (hard enough to get direct info online on this route)
Is the start of the Gulley hard to find (I know there is summit Gully but want to leave this one)

Many Thanks

Justin

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #34 on: September 24, 2012 »

Think rumblebum done this earlier this year,think its scrambling more than anything,the last twenty feet or so is a wee bit hairy ::)

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #35 on: September 25, 2012 »

Hi Justin.  I think Mourneman is referring to this wee trip up Ben Crom.  There are a couple of pics there.

I have copied a photograph by mcrtchly from the Mountainviews website below.  That website also has good information about the gully. 

I think you are probably referring to the one we climbed which follows the blue line in the photo below.  If you approach it (as we did) round the shoulder from the Doan/Ben Crom River side just make sure you stay below the headwall of the main rock faces.  Basically if you meet a big bit of rock stay to the low side of it.  I think that will make sense if you look at the photograph.  You may have a bit of boulder hopping until you pick up the track that traverses the mountain and gives you the opening to the gullies.

If you climb from the dam I think you can catch a goat track most of the way up. 

We had a look up into the summit gully but from what I have read it is always pretty damp in it so we thought better and went to the other one.  It is fairly steep but you generally feel comfortable enough at any point to stand firm and have a breather.  You can get a bit of a hand gripping the heather as you climb but just make sure your feet have a good placement before relying on that.  It is steepest as you reach the top, but good fun as long as common-sense prevails.

We didn't have any equipment.  A helmet would of course give you protection.  That could be said of anything that involves a scramble.

Hope that helps.  Be sure and take a few pics and let us know how you get on.  Have fun! 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

jusmeig

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #36 on: September 25, 2012 »

Hi whoRya,

Thanks for the reply. I had seen the post on Mountainviews but it mentioned helmets, slings and bolts so it got me worried!
I guess what some people consider "safe" differs from what others consider safe.

Having just done the (excellent) Devil's Coach Road, we could probably have done with helmets on the upper reaches. Stones get dislodged very easily and pick up speed. I guess it only takes one on the head and you will wish you had a helmet on then!!

Will take plenty of snaps, cheers for the advice

J

Mourneman

• Hero Poster
    • artist rising
« Reply #37 on: September 25, 2012 »

i'am sure i've a few photos of the main gully

ben 4 by paul surginor, on Flickr

if i can find them i'll post them up,heres a ew links to youtube video i have done on ben crom,sorry about the crappy voice over,but i think i had a good view down the main gully.

you tube links   

hope this help a bit

jusmeig

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #38 on: September 25, 2012 »

Many thanks again.
Here's my "Best of the Mournes" to date:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/30888621@N02/sets/72157622234845433/with/7914353282/

Plenty more to come as we are only getting going in the Mournes :)
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]