Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: lecale way bivvy spots  (Read 7194 times)

sapphirecarpet

• Newbie Poster
lecale way bivvy spots
« on: August 22, 2015 »

Hello, any advise on lecale way bivvy spots

I'm planning to walk part of the lecale way later this week - starting in killough via ardglass, ballyhornan, killers, kilclief, then shore rd to strangford(of the lecale route)

From strangford back on the lecale way route to downpatrick...

Going to take three days out but may do it in two

I'm planning on bivvy bag and related stuff no tent.

Does anyone know any good bivvy spots along that route to spend the night??

Thanks

sc
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015 by sapphirecarpet »

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: lecale way bivvy spots
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2015 »

Its my local area (never done the lecale way though) but don't know of any good bivvy spots off the top of my head. Some more info here http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2013/01/lecale-way-walk/  and http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=2244.msg23569#msg23569 . I'm sure anywhere along the coast would be suitable for a quick bivvy. Do you know roughly where you would be stopping over?
think outside, no box required

sapphirecarpet

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2015 »

Hi yeah will probably stop over at ballyhornan or killard reserve first night then castleward or lough money on the second night. As long as it is quiet secluded and a bit of wind cover
will make a tarp shelter with waterproof poncho then bivvy under that.

Thanks
sc

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2015 »

There's plenty of flat, soft grass to bivi on around Ballyhornan.
We stayed at a friend's house in Ballyhornan for night one and I remembered thinking how bivi friendly the grass looked as we set off.
The view out over the coast would make a captivating sight to wake up to - and that's to say nothing of the bracing sea air to help get you moving in the morning.

There's some more pics in my writeup here: http://www.hikersblog.co.uk/lecale-way/

I still remember this walk like it was just yesterday, partly because it was my first walk in January following a Christmas of sheer laying about and calorie excess (lesson learned). It was tough going at times but very, very enjoyable.

Out of interest what bivi do you use?
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015 by Ed »
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

sapphirecarpet

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2015 »

Hi Ed

Yeah that sounds like a plan was checking out ballyhornan and killard at the weekend there and they look good, just need to find a good shape to bed in.
I have a green alpkit hunka xl bivvy bag.
My 45l rucksack is quite stuffed with the gear I expect to need, I was adamant with myself that I would not do a tent whatever the weather, wanted this rucksack to contain everything with no additional equipment. Hopefully I don't get weather like yesterday!!

Plan is to put foam sleeping mat inside bivvy with sleeping bag, then with my poncho used as a tarp with paracord tied low to ground for max wind shelter, need to get that done while there is some light.

All being well get through that night okay, then early up headed for strangford hot food - fish scampi chips few pints, then via castle ward to raholp and hopefully set up camp in loughmoney area the second night, haven't seen the area much but there is bound to be a sheltered spot there...

roll on the end of the week lol

Thanks again

daniel

Disco_Dave

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2015 »

Lecale Way is a great wee route. I'm repeating what other folk have said but anyway!

The Nature Reserve at Killard is probably yer best spot and there's a large area of long grass, back from the cliffs and south of Ballyhornan.

The little bay at the Holy Well is beautiful but probably too soon on the journey to be camping at. It's a little more sheltered than the other spots and very close to the backroads. This might be worth remembering if the weather comes in.

It's a beautiful route. Let us know how you get on

Dave

sapphirecarpet

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2015 »

Yeah Dave, going to spend the first night at killard reserve, it looks good, though will check the other spots you mentioned along the way. The second night will just be a meter of finding somewhere as I'm passing through - thinking somewhere around loughmoney but sure will see on the day.

Thanks for the info, will let you know how I get on

cheers

daniel

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015 »

If went a little further on the first day Kilclief Castle looks like it would give some good shelter if the weather turned bad.

Opening times:
Until 30th September 2015:

Thursday, Friday, Saturday & Monday: 10:00 - 16:30
Sunday: 12:00 - 16:30

(Closed Tuesday & Wednesday)
Prices:
Admission Free.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015 by LandyLiam »

sapphirecarpet

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2015 »

arrived at killough 11am Thursday morning and did 45 minutes to ardglass
stopped for a pint in the lighthouse bar then back on the road turned off at sheepland rd and followed it up to the little path down to the shore, was relieved as the 2 Alsatians that a man in the bar mentioned where not on the route.

The coastal walk was beautifull passing the well then had a look at a monument for Keith Milburn - who I'm assuming died in the water around that sheepland area.

on to Ballyhornan and great views along the way - the weather had been great so far.
arrived at the cable bar around 3 and had some food and a good few pints as it had started to rain heavily- cleared around 7 so set of for killard

I stopped over at small group of trees separating the walking area from a farmers field on the north side of the reserve and the weather had calmed the evening sky was pink and purple and I could see the lights from portaferry in the distance, had two scotch eggs and was asleep for 9:30

Apart from the slugs the night went well - warm enough no rain - woke at 7 with the same lovely view and a calm sea.

ready for eight and made the mistake of deciding to walk to strangford to get breakfast
the walk was lovely and sunny a good few seals along the way.

I was dreaming of breakfast all along that road and can't remember the last time that I wanted to eat so much
Finally got to cafe and had massive fry tea and orange juice though I was literally shaking with exhaustion as I started to eat.

fry done went to bench in the sun and thought about how sore my hips and shoulders were - then off round castleward once moving again the hips didn't seem so bad.

The section that runs the length of the audleystown road was tough going, the road just went on and on up hills.
Skipped the Myra road section as it just seemed like this part was there to avoid the busy strangford road - I guess that's fair enough as the road was/is dangerous!!

Next was the off road section to raholp through little field paths, looked like this stretch had not been walked for quite some time, was very pretty
crossed at roneystown and got chased by a dog - jumped up onto a stone wall with knife and stick ready- could hear a much larger dog as well but it must have been tied up. walked along this wall until a good bit away from the mutt.

Then it was along St Patrick's way past loughmoney and through to ballyalton - I think this stretch is great as it is very rural and off the beaten track

Got to ballyalton skipped the struell bit and walked the ballyhornan rd into dpk for 4:39 another dangerous road

A great experience beautiful scenery- a first for me and the walk was quite demanding at times

favourite parts - sheepland to ballyhornan, killard, stretch from strangford rd to raholp, raholp to ballyalton

Well worth doing this walk

daniel

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: August 29, 2015 »

Glad to here it went well, thanks for sharing the details. Shouldn't have skipped out Struell Wells though, its a lovely wee place, bivvied there once myself.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2015 by LandyLiam »

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]