Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: No Pics??  (Read 7608 times)

Binnianboy

• Newbie Poster
No Pics??
« on: August 07, 2015 »

Hello

It's been quite a while since I posted on here, I have been lurking in the background though. In the last year I have moved to the beautiful Ards Peninsula, changed job and become a father for the first time so understandably hiking in The Mournes has unfortunately taken a back seat, but with a new pair of Meindls just purchased (field and trek have some good bargains at the minute) I will be heading back next Saturday and cant wait. Anyway I think the whole point of this thread was to find out what happened to the photo competitions? I always loved those and have entered quite a few of them, never winning though, and I see that there hasn't been any new ones in quite a while, just wondering really.
If You Risk Nothing You Gain Nothing!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: No Pics??
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2015 »

That would be my fault  ::)  Struggled to get entries for the last one in Dec 2014 so sort of lost the will  :'( which reminds me, I still haven't done the draw for the ni-wild patch yet, had planned to do it at the next ni-wild camp. Hopefully will do it soon. Now if lots of people said they wanted the competition back then I could be tempted  ;)
think outside, no box required

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2015 »

It's not that you lost the will, you just knew rightly nobody was ever going to top mine after December.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015 by Darran »

Martin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2015 »

Funny, I was just going to ask if anyone else was having trouble getting Imgur to work. I've had a couple of interesting outdoor adventures - well, given the weather, underwater adventures would be more like it - but just can't get Imgur to do anything other than spool...

Any thoughts gratefully received.

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2015 »

If you're have issues with a trip report of any sort with pics, just email the lot to the address on this page and we'll put it in the blog and copy it across to the forum too.

Funny, I was just going to ask if anyone else was having trouble getting Imgur to work. I've had a couple of interesting outdoor adventures - well, given the weather, underwater adventures would be more like it - but just can't get Imgur to do anything other than spool...

Any thoughts gratefully received.

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2015 »

I think Liam had a couple of months with very low entry numbers so the compo was halted. Suppose it could be started again if there was interest.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2015 »

No Darran was right, his pic was simply so awesome  ::)
think outside, no box required

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015 »

Haha. I really liked the photo competitions, it would be great to see it back! Even if I can only win by technicalities!
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015 by Darran »

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015 »

The thought came to me earlier.

Instead of a specific theme each month, I wonder how well a broad-category seasonal competition would go. You could perhaps offer an inexpensive (but nice) prize, like an "NI-Wild photo competition winner" keyring or something similar. I think these sort of things can be had quite cheaply through the likes of Vistaprint without looking tacky.

It would mean more entries, the small prize could be an attraction for real photography enthusiasts (particularly if it is given good coverage through Facebook) as well as an incentive to get out in the current season to take a picture rather than putting up past photos. It could mean more visitors to the forums, as well as a little less work each month.

What would be your thoughts on that?

admin

• Administrator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2015 »

It's a cool idea. We did actually do this before and gave away Zippo Handwarmers for a year or so but the entries were still quite low for the amount it cost.

The thought came to me earlier.

Instead of a specific theme each month, I wonder how well a broad-category seasonal competition would go. You could perhaps offer an inexpensive (but nice) prize, like an "NI-Wild photo competition winner" keyring or something similar. I think these sort of things can be had quite cheaply through the likes of Vistaprint without looking tacky.

It would mean more entries, the small prize could be an attraction for real photography enthusiasts (particularly if it is given good coverage through Facebook) as well as an incentive to get out in the current season to take a picture rather than putting up past photos. It could mean more visitors to the forums, as well as a little less work each month.

What would be your thoughts on that?

Binnianboy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2015 »

It's good to see that I am not the only one who is missing the photos, totally understandable though why they have taken a back seat for a while.

I know its been done to death but how about a yearly calendar with the best photo from each month? The winner from each month gets the calendar free and then more can be offered up for sale on the site? Would probably have some initial outlay but would hopefully make that back with the sales, I know I would buy one. Just an idea I had. Could be a good incentive for people to get their pics in if they thought they had a chance of making the calendar, with their name and photo mentioned on that month.

Its been great coming back to the site, it has really made me miss getting out on the hills, heading back on Saturday to take in Binnian, Lamagan, Cove and Beg and cannot wait.
If You Risk Nothing You Gain Nothing!

Darran

• Top Poster
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2015 »

Oh yes! I think I saw that.

When you gave the zippos as a gift, did you ever try to make a Facebook advert for the competition?

It costs a few pound (well, at least a pound a day for as long as you like) but you can get pretty good results from it in my experience. I suppose, it could maybe be offset with a cheaper gift (though those hand warmers are pretty cool).

Dannyboy

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2015 »

Hi guys with me being relatively new there hasn't been a photo comp in my time but it is something id look forward to, even if its purely just to see the other peoples pictures  :)

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]