Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Wild camping on the Isle of Man  (Read 8528 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Wild camping on the Isle of Man
« on: July 26, 2015 »

I had a short notice work trip to the Isle of Man and unfortunatley the flights home were all booked up! not a problem, I'd always wanted to camp on the Island and the forecast was for a dry but windy night. I also had a new tent I wanted to try out. An unused Gelert Solo that I picked up on Gumtree for a tenner, bargain  ;D  . At only 1.5kg it wasn't going to put me over the weight limit either.

This was my boneshaker plane, not recommended for those nervous about flying. It did rattle quite a bit as if there was something loose  :o

At least there was an in flight movie

Goodbye belfast

Once I had got the work tasks out of the way it was time to explore the Island in search of a cosy camping spot which would shelter me from the wind and give me a nice view. I had done a quick internet search beforehand, there was mention of a Sulby Claddagh free camping spot with toilet facilities. But you have to get a £15 permit 10 days beforehand so that wasn't happening.

I visit the island often so I knew of a few potential spots so went exploring. First off was Port Soderick glen, obviously I wasn't welcome here!

Anyway I wouldn't have slept well knowing there was a troll nearby

Plenty of interesting sites round the Island, its a rather quaint place, passed many a rooster on the roads  ;D

Next up was a Niarbyl on the West coast, there's a lovely thatch cottage by the small seaside car park, but my target was a secluded beach 15 minutes walk along the coast.

It was certainley a secluded spot, the ground here was either too rough or too steep, but I did find one spot along the path that had grass so soft I wouldn't have needed a camping mat, but there was little chance of getting the pegs in that ground and with the windy night forecast I passed it on, there was also a lot of noisy seagulls too that might disturb my mornings lie on.  :'(

A great advantage of this place was a lovely waterfall that would have made a great shower in the morning, if it was warmer  8)

Spotted this in the car park of the nearby cafe, if only there was grass on the roof it would have been perfect.

In the distance I could see Snaefell, the highest peak on the Island. I had thought of camping on it just for bragging rights of another highest peak but decided to go for its neighbour, Clagh Ouyr, just to the right. Thought it might be better to look at Snaefell rather than from it.

Parked up at the black hut and then had to cross the TT track, quite surprising how fast these bikes come, you really have to be on your wits crossing the road.

Found a sheltered spot 70m below the summit with very little wind and a great view of Snaefell and the main road (& TT track) yes it wasn't terribly wild looking but it gave me something to watch and the car lights would add to the photos. As you can see Snaefell had a patch of cloud on its summit that didn't lift all night, so glad I wasn't up there.

The cloud occasionally lowered to cover me as well  :(

Time for a few sunset shots, not the dramatic shots I had hoped for though.

Once the sun had set I got a few shots on long exposure, but no stars  :'(

Here you can see some blue flashing lights in the distance.

The morning view wasn't bad though.

Of course as soon as the tent was packed away the cloud disappeared off Snaefell.

I had a few hours to spare before my flight home sook took a wee dander down the valley, found one of those nice rocks that made a perfect seat to sit on and take in the view.

On top of Clagh Ouyr now looking back towards North Barrule, a lovely ridge walk I can highly recommend.

Then I popped back down the hill and off to Snaefell for breakfast, I had been there a few time before but never when the summit cafe was open. This is the old motorcycle museum, now closed.

Manx sheep are different!

A half hour hike from the old museum will bring you to the top, or you could just get the train.

The summit itself has some pretty horrible buildings.

And a rather horrid footpath so the train passengers don't get their feet wet, not that many of the them even bothered venturing this far! more intent on getting tea and scones in the cafe  ???

But if you keep going North a hundred meters you will be rewarded with what I think is the best view on the Island (and there are many great views to compete). To the left is the Point Of Ayre and straight ahead is Clagh Ouyr with North Barrule in the distance. I sat here for a while soaking up the sun and watching the trains amble by, it was bliss. I really should have taken a panoramic shot here, maybe next time.

Here is my natural seat, there a lovely sheltered bivvy spot nearby  ;)

After getting back down to the road I took the opportunity to get a few pics of the passing bikers.

This fell was certainley hoofing it, check out those sparks from his kneecap!

Departing from Ronaldsway Airport on the South of the Island, Calf of Man in the distance, Au Revoir.

So I'll definitely be back for another wild camp some time, on my bucket list is a walk round the whole Island on the Raad ny Foillan (Isle of Man Coastal Path), approx 95 miles long http://www.isle-of-man.com/manxnotebook/paths/coastal/

think outside, no box required

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Wild camping on the Isle of Man
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2015 »

Brilliant Liam, looks like a fantastic trip. Have to grab these opportunities when they crop up.

I've been on that plane before, think it was going to South England and stopped on the Isle of Man to drop off on the way. If I remember correctly at the stop in IoM I saw the pilot get out and kick the tires before we took off again - didn't fill me with confidence ;)

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2015 »

Great looking trip there and defo something to keep in mind for a get away at some point. How did you find the gelert? I know your a short arse so probably think it was great, I find it to be somewhat.....snug. But I ain't ever ditching mine just for the fact that once you switch out the pegs and spend some time faffing about to get it ready for a inner & outer single pitch then for me it is the best value tiny 1.3kg packet you can loose in your pack.

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2015 »

My last couple of camps have been in a bivvy tent so the Gelert Solo did seem quite palacial, of course being vertically challenged helps   ;D  I slept with the outer door open (just the mesh door closed) and it had the bivvy feel with the extra space i was just able to get my rucksack inside. I found it very easy to put up, could do with a couple of extra guyline to stop it flaping during the night though. One thing I really liked was the way you could sit in the porch (bum on the inner groundsheet) and legs out on the grass and lie back against the tent as a back rest (not putting too pressure on it though). It certainley is great value for money but I would pay a few extra pound and carry and extra kilo for the extra space, it was ok on a dry night, but a wet night may have been uncomfortable. So I'm still searching for that perfect tent, I have 15 now, did I mention I bought another one last week  8) 

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2015 »

Nice one chum you might even have had time for a quick backy if you had of brought an old climbing helmet  ;D
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2015 »

Great use of your time, good to see you get the opportunity to get out.  Thanks for sharing.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2015 »

Well I had another wee trip to the Island this week and with the great weather I just had to bring the tent again  ;D

On the flight there I can just spot Donard to the left peaking its head above the clouds, Bearnagh to the right.

It was a 2 night trip and I don't do double night camping!!! so first night was spent in Albany House in Peel, very possibly the friendliest B&B in the world (and I've tried many). Highly recommended.

Across the road was this rather interesting library  :o

Peel is also known as Sunset City (apparently) so I took an evening walk along the promenade, Mournes are just visible between the castle and the hill.

Donard is clearly visible

Another view from higher up the hill

Fenella looks over the bay

A nice large moon followed the excellent sunset

plentyl; of light reflecting off the water so time to play with the camera

Walking back to the B&B through the narrow streets of Peel

Second night on the Island and I visited Milner's Tower near Port Erin, beautiful spot and the tower is unlocked so good place for the weary traveller to shelter if wild camping nearby, will keep that one in mind for the future ;)

Milners Tower at sunset

With the forecast predicting calm and clear skies there one only one place to go, the top of the Island , Snaefell.

It really doesn't get much better than this, although a campfire with a few friends would have been nice  :)

Morning arrives and the skies are still clear while the mist rolls in on the valleys below.

The summit markers shows I'm only 66 miles from the Mournes, can't see them today though.

Driving down the road now and I see the summit is fogged out, perfect timing.

On the plane to Belfast I spy the Mournes again.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2015 »

More smashing pics Liam you couldn't have asked for better weather, that looked an awesome night for you camp  8)
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2015 »

Thanks Liam.  Some of your photos had me laughing, others has me going wow.  Well done lad.

It's about taking the opportunity.  I got a wee quick night out the other weekend.  Packing my gear at half ten at night, thinking if it's getting close to bed time I may as well go somewhere and look at the stars before nodding off.

"Not all those who wander are lost."

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2015 »

Sometimes those wee spontaneous ones are the best. If the weather is good then just get out there and do it. Sure you can stay in a cosy bed every other night of the week  :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 06, 2015 »

Where was that?

Thanks Liam.  Some of your photos had me laughing, others has me going wow.  Well done lad.

It's about taking the opportunity.  I got a wee quick night out the other weekend.  Packing my gear at half ten at night, thinking if it's getting close to bed time I may as well go somewhere and look at the stars before nodding off.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]