Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Map laminating services?  (Read 6188 times)

Ji28

• Newbie Poster
Map laminating services?
« on: July 13, 2015 »

Hi guys,

Just wondering if anyone has any knowledge of anywhere that would laminate maps? I have a few paper maps of Wicklow and Kerry, but given the recent weather I'd like to get them laminated to save them from disintegrating in the inevitable rain! I've tried a few print shops in Belfast but haven't had any success. They are around A0/ same size as the mourne activity map. If anyone knows of anywhere that provides this service I'd love to hear from you! Thanks for your help, John

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Map laminating services?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015 »

Can't offer any help on places that will laminate your maps, but what I tend to do with my maps is to map copies. Photocopy the areas of the map you want, then stick them through a cheap desk laminator and they will happily last any rain etc on your trip. Plus you keep a nice tidy map at home for reuse.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2015 »

I didn't even know you could get a whole map laminated but I do a similar thing to Rich - print the maps portions on A4 and laminate them. I find it easier to not have a massive map to unfold.

specimanYak

• Hero Poster
    • Videos
« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2015 »

You'll struggle to find any printers that can laminate up to A0, usually everything's printed on A0 then cut down to size before laminating. Also because the map has already been folded it would be a bit impossible to make sure no air bubbles appear on it and as it's a one-off it wouldn't be cost effective for them.

Your best bet, as stated, is to photo-copy the sections you'll need and get those parts laminated.
I know MailBoxes on Botanic Ave offer this service at a reasonable price: http://www.mbe.co.uk/belfast

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015 »

I laminated a map using the sticky back plastic, takes a lot of patience and a spare pair of hands, didn't do a great job but if I had practised a bit first it would have been a lot better (the second half was a lot better than the first half).
think outside, no box required

Chris E

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2015 »

I wouldn't recommend getting anything laminated that won't fit into your map pocket.
Even the best lamination will leave you with a map that is twice as bulky and you quickly will not be able to see the details where you fold it. It will also only be a matter of time until it separates and leaves the original unusable.

Most scanners ( including Xerox machines) set on at least 600 dpi will do a high quality copy that you can use to cut to size and laminate. That's the way to go.
Chris

Ji28

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015 »

That's great guys, thank you for your advice! Copying and laminating the appropriate sections seems the way to go then! Thank you

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]