Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Advice/help 1st time wild camping/tackling the wall challenge  (Read 10111 times)

Wabbson

• Newbie Poster

Hi folks

1st time on this so apologies for any silly questions use have probably already answered about 100 times lol I'm planning my outings for next year and have decided to tackle the mourne wall challenge but stopping out up in the mountains overnight (never wild camped before). Few things I'm looking information/tips on please,

1. Where is the best place to start off? I was thinking of starting off at Carrick little and heading left and doing slieve Binnan, slievenaglogh and hopefully end up at slieve meelmore to camp overnight. Would this route be doable??

2. If I did decide to camp at Meelmore is it ok to do so?? As in will we get asked to move on etc??? 

3. I've done a good few of the mountains already and no the terrain quiet well but is the wall doable in the two days?? I know people do it in 13 hours etc it they don't have the gear we need to say over etc. Was thinking of starting on the Saturday at about 9.00am and finishing off on the Sunday evening?   

Any advice will done
Cheers folks

Chris

phil_b

• Sr. Poster

Here's my account of walking the wall inc route details etc

http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/blog/2013/08/my-mourne-wall-walk/

Wabbson

• Newbie Poster

Cheers Phil

I didn't take you long at all to get from your start point until meelmore where I'm planning on staying over, probably wise to not start a hike until lunch time maybe

phil_b

• Sr. Poster

Are you planning to camp on Slieve Meelmore itself or Meelmore Lodge? If on Meelmore, why there especially? If you walked on as far as Hares Gap you would be well over half way.

Wabbson

• Newbie Poster

I was only thinking there as it was more or less a halfway point, I'm taking hares gap is a better spot?? I'm up for any sort of advice on good spots to put the head down

noble98

• Newbie Poster

Did this last year with my wife. We started with binnian and stopped to camp at the saddle between Meelmore and bearnagh. There is room for a tent by the wall. You start the second day with a tough walk up bearnagh. Problem is you go to sleep knowing what you have to climb the next morning and from the saddle it doesn't look inviting!

Doing the wall was a fitness wake up call for us.   Since then we have turned into fitness nuts so next spring we intend to run it in the day!!

It such a great feeling to complete the wall,  I am sure you will love it.   

Wabbson

• Newbie Poster

Happy days, I'm just wondering where's the best place to settle down, I'm easy either way as long as we're not asked to move on or in the way lol

noble98

• Newbie Poster

No one has ever asked me to move along and Ive been camping in mournes since a boy. If you are anxious I would plan to reach the saddle after 6pm then hit the trail early next morning that way you are unlikely to be disturbed.

Wabbson

• Newbie Poster

Cheers folks

whoRya

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster

I've not done the Mourne wall walk before but on any two day backpacks that I've done there has been wisdom in doing a bit more than half on a longer first day. 

Both the Meelmore/Bearnagh col and Hare's Gap would allow you to drop down to the Trassey River to camp if the conditions are preferable.  I wouldn't anticipate any problems camping in any of the locations discussed.
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Darran

• Top Poster

I would never in a million years expect anyone to ask you to move on!

Though, if someone had the eyesight to see you, the strength to get to you and the command to tell you to shift, I would probably treat the situation the same way I would with the man that takes an entire plane hostage with a pair of tweezers - do what he says!

Ed

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Bally up!
    • HikersBlog

I did this a couple of years ago in the most scorching heat I've ever hiked in.
Splitting it in two has the benefit of less walking in each day, but the drawback of having to carry more.
The next time I do it, I'll stash my camping gear in a large drysack in Annalong wood and slip into a blissful coma in my sleeping bag after the walk is done.

As for getting moved on, that's extremely unlikely. It hasn't happened to me in the Mournes yet and I don't know anyone else who it has happened to.
http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
"In the ni-wild militant wing a tent is now considered glamping" - RustyMadra
Team Bivvy!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]