Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Linked Events

• Hares Gap Photography Camp: February 12, 2016 - February 13, 2016
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Hares Gap Photography Camp - 12 Feb 2016  (Read 10302 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Hares Gap Photography Camp - 12 Feb 2016
« on: January 21, 2016 »

What : Photography camp. Or a lying round on a mountain camp depending on what you fancy.
Where : Hares Gap
When : 12/13th February 2016

Dowser and myself are having a Friday night camp at Hares Gap on 12th February. It's the usual story, nip up after work on Friday, back on Saturday at some stage. The plan is to do a bit of photography - astrophotography on the Friday night and landscape photography on the Saturday morning. Obviously it's very much dependent on conditions as to how much photography we can do, we'll have to see at the time.

Anyone who wants to come along, feel free, photography isn't any sort of requirement, it's still just a night in the hills. If you have no interest in taking pictures you can make the tea ;)

We'll probably be leaving Meelmore around 745ish but people can make their own way up at any time. Camp spot will likely be around the ruins of the old structure that's over the wall and to the right.

If any of you photographer types who actually know what they're doing whether professional or amateur wanted to come along and give advice it would be very much appreciated. Even if people can't come but could post advice / useful links in this thread on astro or landscape photography, that would be cool too.

Safety and responsibility notice is linked below, as usual, you need to read and agree to it.
http://www.ni-wild.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=278.0
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016 by RedLeader »

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
Re: Hares Gap Photography Camp - 12 Feb 2016
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2016 »

Sounds good to me mate as my new wee tent arrived this afternoon. I'll stick myself in as a maybe I should know for definite closer to the time 8)

Edit. Just remembered it's my daughters school formal that night so I'm out :(
« Last Edit: January 21, 2016 by Glenn B »
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2016 »

Tempted,  and Sat 13th is my birthday! Just need a tent, sleeping bag and what else?

Matthew

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2016 »

Should be good to make this one.

MB

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2016 »

Would be great to have you along. Cold weather gear really, waterproof clothes, warm clothes and a stove and food is about it. As long as you have a decent tent and sleeping bag for the colder weather. PM me if you want any specifics.

Clothes wise I'd usually be base layer / fleece / down jacket / waterproof above the waist and trousers / waterproof trousers below. In winter I'd throw in a 2nd lighter fleece in case it got really cold and usually wear gaiters but that's more of a personal preference. I'd generally pack a thermal baselayer for sleeping in but tbh I rarely use it or the spare fleece.

Tempted,  and Sat 13th is my birthday! Just need a tent, sleeping bag and what else?

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2016 »

Coincidently, this months edition of the photography magazine that drops through my door every month covers photographing the night sky and I have found it very interesting and extremely useful.

Monthly subscription available here

Before reading this article, all I knew about night photography was that a long exposure (long shutter speed) was needed, but I did not know the first thing about setting my camera up to achieve this.  For those wanting to have a dabble on Hares Gap, on the 12th Feb, here's a few pointers on how to set up your DSLR taken from the magazine article.  Just click on the image for the high resolution page:

Page One

Page Two

Page Three

Page Four

Page Five

Here's my first ever night sky photo taken last night in the back garden of the Big Dipper.  A lot of light pollution going on but hopefully there will be a bit less on Hare Gap when we go up.

I actually didn't use the settings recommended in the article because I didn't have time to read it all so, instead I Googled Bulb Setting for my camera and worked with that.

The settings I used on my Nikon D80 for this picture were: Manual (M), Bulb Mode and I left the shutter open for a count of 33 Mississippi's.  A Tripod and Wireless Shutter Release were also used.  I did forget to set my recording setting to RAW, which makes editing in Lightroom easier, but I'll remember for next time.  The above photo is un-edited and straight from the memory stick.  I might have a play with it this evening to see if I can remove some of the light pollution in Lightroom.

If anybody has any night sky photography tips please chip in below before the 12th Feb.  We're going to need all the tips we can get  ;)
If You don't Climb the Mountain, You can't
See the View

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2016 »

I have tried it a few times but would need to get off my arse and do more of it

The Milky Way

Milky Way by Philip Blair, on Flickr

The Milky way again over Tenerife, need to re-edit this

Milky Way over the Roques de Garcia and Mount Teide, Tenerife by Philip Blair, on Flickr

The stile

Stile under the stars by Philip Blair, on Flickr

Hares Gap

Hares Gap by starlight by Philip Blair, on Flickr

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2016 »

Thanks for the article Dowser, I do love my night photography but i've never really read up on how to do it properly. As for tips I would say be patient, very patient (& wrap up well  ;D ) good tripod helps too, I have a light one which I bring into the mountains but its noticably shakier than the big one, I have to start it on the timer so I can move away before it starts the picture. Here's one of my favourites, took about an hour to get this shot right (and i'm still not happy with the focusing  >:( ) Lots of playing about getting the torches correctly set inside the tent so they wern't too bright on the long exposure. This was taken on a Lumix LX7 on aperature mode with about 7 sec exposure I think. Everything else was set to auto, took many wrong shots before I got it right and was rewarded with a little aurora that I didn't realise was there until someone else pointed it out to me  :) .

think outside, no box required

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2016 »

Those photos are excellent Phil and Liam.  I love your Stile shot Phil and its clear to see just how much work you put into yours Liam.  I think you might have even captured an aeroplane flying across the middle of your shot.

Very inspiring and seeing those photos has left very excited about the camp on the 12th. Fingers crossed for clear skies.

I think I'm going to take a drive out into the country this Saturday night to tinker with my settings before the big event in the hills so I have a bit of an idea of what I'm doing rather than carting all my gear up to Hares Gap and back, only to find I've taken some of the finest shots of pure black when I get home  ::)

If anybody else has night shot photos please feel free to post them here, and if you know the settings used to capture them, even better!

8)
See the View

Dowser

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2016 »

Here's my first night sky photo again after a bit of a tinker in Lightroom to remove the light pollution.  The Big Dipper is still clearly visible  :)

See the View

phil_b

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2016 »

My first attempt at star trails, need to have another go at this too

Startrails-Argory RS by Philip Blair, on Flickr

And car light trails

POTD88prs by Philip Blair, on Flickr

Silent Valley

Silent Valley13prs by Philip Blair, on Flickr

Running man

POTD57prs by Philip Blair, on Flickr

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2016 »

Those are some fantastic pics guys.  Top quality. Seems I'll have to get out and practice, just a shame it seems to be continuous cloud and gale force winds these days :)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2016 »

Alrighty ladies. Weather looks variable. Looks wet probably in showers but could be heavy enough. I have no idea what time I'm going to be making it down at, could be the middle of the afternoon. I shouldn't be setting out any later than 730ish but chances are I'll be up earlier in the day. Plan is to park at Meelmore Lodge and walk the Trassey to Hares Gap and camp just over the wall by the remains of the old structure that's up there (through the gate and follow the wall right). Depending on the wind I suppose we may pitch on the Trassey side of the wall but it will be Hares Gap either way.

Looking at the weather, I'm not sure that we'll get much night photography done so everyone pack a firelog and we'll have a relaxing night round the fire if nothing else  8)

We'll be on channel 6 on the walkie talkies, if anyone wants my mobile number or to send me theirs, PM me.

« Last Edit: February 11, 2016 by RedLeader »

Fred

• Top Poster
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2016 »

I regret that I cannot make this trip due to a commitment early on Saturday but it looks like you guys might have a bit of snow under foot if the tollymore webcam is anything to go by.

Fredhttp://www.tollymore.com/gallery/
Theres nothing like an Irish summer...
...Except an Irish winter

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2016 »

I had hoped to pop up for a quick hello but I also have an early start tomorrow, and i'm afraid of the rain  ::) however i'll be in the area tomorrow morning so maybe see you at meelmore lodge  ;)
think outside, no box required
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]