Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Hi all  (Read 5249 times)

torp

Hi all
« on: January 02, 2016 »

Not new to this caper but due to a few med problems ie back and knees to mention a few, I was wondering if anyone could point in the gerneral dirction of sites without too much walking to.
I can do either hammock or tent and would be up for a few outtings anytime and would no doubt be accompined by at least one daughter (12) lol my hanger on.
All sites considered and 6 fig grid ref diffo a help.
Iam 50 this year and really want to get back into this and hopefully will try and begin trekking soon and try to build up some stamina.

Happy New Year to all

Davy ;D

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
Re: Hi all
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2016 »

Happy New year Davy  :)  what part of the country are you looking to camp in and what sort of distance would be too much?
think outside, no box required

torp

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2016 »

Hi LandyLiam sorry iam from Comber/Newtownards area and ideally somewhere local but dont mind travelling to the Mournes as for distance thats debatable lolanywhere from a few hundred meters to maybe a mile at a snails pace with lots of stops ???
Hoping to try and build on it though by just walking and then gradually adding weight.

Thanks Davy

torp

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2016 »

I was also wondering if any members are from the Comber/Newtownards area?

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2016 »

Hi Davy get yourself up into the woods around Helens Tower I would be up there guide a bit camping hammocks and tents it's a great wee spot and at this time of year it's quite enough. I've been using it on and off for a couple of years and never had any bother. I'll give you a shout the next time I'm heading up. ;D
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

torp

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2016 »

Hi Glen where abouts is that mate? u from this neck of the woods lol ;)

Thanks Davy

torp

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016 »

Clandyboye

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2016 »

Yes mate Clandyboye just up above the lead mines at the Somme centre. Not far from you I'm up in Braniel.

torp

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2016 »

Glen was thinking of next fri/sat night (daughter is hounding me lol.
Will have to meet sometime and do an overnight

Davy

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2016 »

Clandeboye was a good one, other than that, for a first outing you can't beat Annalong Wood in the Mournes. Accessible enough and has secure parking.

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2016 »

@ torp keep an eye on the forecast there's another storm on its way and if you like a lie in Friday nights are probably your best bet as there is a small group of guys who ride trail bikes and they're up early most Sundays and are quite noisey.

@ RedLeader  secure parking is always a winner for me, the parking is the only thing that let's Clandyboye down >:(

torp

« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2016 »

Thanks guys the forecast wasnt bad for fri/sat and I think Clandyboye is gonna be my first outting,
 A) is close to home
 B) I can always go for a pint or game of golf lol

Davy
« Last Edit: January 04, 2016 by torp »

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016 »

Thanks guys the forecast wasnt bad for fri/sat and I think Clandyboye is gonna be my first outting,
 A) is close to home
 B) I can always go for a pint or game of golf lol

Davy

Well Davy how did it go, did you venture up last night? A good night weather ways a bit wet this morning though!!

torp

« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2016 »

I had planned to cancle the trip due to the weather but my daughter nagged that much at lunch time on Friday i said we would go.
Changed location to the woods behind the damn (ill post it later along with a few pics) so i only had to walk a few hunfred meters.
Now I learnt a few things from this trip, always put a new tent up at home before you go camping as you will know how to erect it lol.
I always carry too much kit, and that you always forget something,and my daughter can sleep for 15 hrs lol.  The wooded area was ok except that all the wood was wet and rotten and there wasnt much room to put up a tent(i decided on tent due to the forcast for Sat mornining)
Kit consisted of a Vango telas tent, army arctic sleeping bag, self inflating mattress and the general bits and bobs for clothing and cooking.
Another thing I learnt was that Iam getting too old for this caper lol.
Think next trip will try Annalong or Foffany any thoughts?

Davy

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2016 »

Good on ya for getting out mate kids are good motivators,  once a wee trip is mentioned there's no backing out lol.

I think I know were you pitched up, were you up the lane at conlig with the dam on your right as you head to the woods?
I tend to stay away over the other side of the woods between the tower and the lead mines its higher ground so tends to stay a bit dryer under foot and its more open with larger mature trees.

Annalong and Foffany are both great spots personally I prefer Annalong it gives you more of a feel of being in the mountains and with the secure parking at Carrick plant hire your not worrying about the car. Both spots give you the option of tents or hammocks and both have nearby water sources. The big difference between them is the distance you have to walk, Annalong is about 1 1/2 miles a dander will get you up in about 30mins were as Foffany is only about a 100yds straight down through the trees which means you can take as much gear as you want and take it down in drips and drabs.
Anyway karma added for going ahead and getting out and yes get a few pics up we all love to see a few pics.

ATB Glenn

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]