Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Camp site for kids  (Read 8215 times)

NeilB

• Top Poster
Camp site for kids
« on: February 01, 2010 »

Hello peeps

Is there any camp site in the mournes area that I could take the 3 kids too and have something to keep them entertained.

The girls are 10 and 8 and my son is just over 2, thinking I am just going to have to leave him with family as he is bit young, we had him in Connemara with us camping in the summer but there was a beach to keep him going

any suggestions

Kirth

• Sr. Poster
    • Kirth Ferris Photography
Re: Camp site for kids
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010 »

Tollymore is very family friendly, with nice walks for the kids

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010 »

I've not been to any of the proper organised campsites although I think most of the ones around the Mournes (Tollymore etc) are all fine - just don't expect to meet many outdoors types! I still like Meelmore Lodge. You'll likely get some music late at night but I think that all organised campsites tend to be a bit noisy at times (although I know that Meelmore often turn away groups that are not family type units).

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010 »

round the 'other side' of the mournes there's Kilbroney forest park just outside Rostrevor.  Our three were 4, 2 and 1 when we went there and they had a great time, mucking about in the forest not too far from the tent. There's a good play park and horse rides and the fairy glen's an easy walk - Our 2-year old managed it on his own with not too much complaining.
Then for the older ones you've got slievebane, slievemartin & slievedermot rising right from the campsite, East Coast Adventure is ten minutes away in Warrenpoint (not my favourite outdoor centre, but good for an expensive hour's canoeing or bananaboating) and you could even go shopping in Omagh (to give the mud time to dry) or for a bit of history you could drive round to Carlingford.  

We also went to Newcastle a few times, spent a day on the beach at Tyrella and went to Greencastle and Cranfield, but I think if they had been older we'd have spent less time driving to those far-off places (newcastle's about half an hour away) and more time enjoying the stuff that's right beside the camp site.

As Jonno says, it's full of family holidaymakers, not hardcore outdoors types, though there were some duke-of-edinburgh groups using it as a basecamp while we were there.

Belfastman1958

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010 »

There is also Carnfunnock near Larne, which is also a popular favorite with families.

And further north we have the sites at Portrush and Downhill....all family friendly sites with plenty of activities for children.

Alan.

MG1

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2010 »

Castlewellan is very good aswell there s good maze at it.
If you die with all your parts working your not trying hard enough!

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2010 »

Castlewellan is very good aswell there s good maze at it.

I second that.

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2010 »

There is also Carnfunnock near Larne, which is also a popular favorite with families.

And further north we have the sites at Portrush and Downhill....all family friendly sites with plenty of activities for children.

Alan.

Carnfunnock is a fantastic place for families. It has a very extensive "Fun Zone", a good camp site, plus the park itself is great, and you may even catch a few guys from the NIBA lurking about in the woods.

VMCC

• Top Poster
    • Northern Ireland Camping Forum
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2010 »

Another vote for Carnfunnock here. Spotless amenities and great play park even for your youngest one. There's a 9 hole golf course on the site and the gardens are really beautiful. There's a maze there but not as impressive as some in NI. There is often live music (like brass band etc) at the weekends too. The camp area is a bit sloped but there are some suitable flatter bits that are fine for a family tent.

Hope you have a great camping trip.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]