Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: camping with your dog?  (Read 13312 times)

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
camping with your dog?
« on: March 02, 2013 »

There has been some chat recently about bringing the dog on camp, so how many people have tried this? and has it worked out ok? i would like to bring mine out for the night but a few things concern me.

1. do they keep you awake all night growling at every bit of suspected wildlife that comes near?
2. do they sleep with you in the tent or out in the porch? (i'd be worried mine would sneak out of the porch and go wandering)
3. do they eat all your breakfast when your not looking?  ;D
4. do they make a right mess of all your gear coming in with muddy paws  >:(

I know every dog will be a bit different but i'd like to you how you have all got on with your pooch. I did camp once with the dog in the back garden when i was a teenager, she made a great pillow and all was going great til she emitted the smelliest fart i have ever encountered  :o the tent was quickly evacuated and defumigated.
think outside, no box required

Big Dod

• Jr. Poster
Re: camping with your dog?
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2013 »

I'd be interested to read any replies to this thread too.
I have 2 mutts that I'd love to bring with me.
Will definitely be during warmer weather though as I considered taking them recently but with cold ground I didnt fancy taking an extra ground mat and thought it'd get too cold in the tent for them at night.

Would definitely not leave them out in the porch.

Come to think of it, if my mutts growled at anything I'd never get to sleep wondering what it was outside that was gettin their back up  :-\
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming -- WOW-- What a Ride!"

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2013 »

I haven't went camping with my dogs but I have slept with both of them (easy now..).

Both Siberian Huskies. The male is great, no problems - though he tends to do a weird scratching thing on the ground so I'd fear for my porch groundsheet. The female however is terrible. Up in your face every 30minutes to check you are still there, and very antsy to every creak of the house.

I'd be interested in taking him (never her) for a night. Maybe stick to forests to avoid poor sheep. I'd also consider bringing a blanket to cover the groundsheet and just keep him in the main tent with me so I don't have to worry about him escaping the porch.

FlapJack

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2013 »

I have camped with my dog, if i keep her in the porch she can slip under the flysheet and go exploring.  She sleeps at my feet in the sleeping compartment.
“It is not the mountain we conquer but ourselves.”

jonny2324

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2013 »

As you know I have 2 golden retrievers..... I always bring the younger one with me every time I camp due to her gung ho attitude. She is VERY obedient and would never stray and is to placid to even growl at a sheep so I have no worries when it comes to her behaviour.  I'm that bloody soft I bring a spare sleeping mat to keep her off the cold ground and a dog sleeping bag ! So she can sleep with me in my wee banshee 200. Only thing I would complain about is if its a bit wet outside she obviously will get a bit wet herself but no matter how much I try to dry her the tent will always get a bit wet also. She loves every minute of it and she knows we are going for a wee night when I bring my rucksack into the hall and she goes ballistic with excitement ! I wouldn't go camping without her even if its with friends As I love having her company and its nice bonding time .

clairebear

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2013 »

As jonny2324 that's sweet you have a dog sleeping bag.  I'm gonna try cash camping with me on 22nd.  Reckon it'll be slightly warmer then for him, I'm gonna look on amazon now cause I was just thinking what sort of thing I'd take with me to keep him insulated from the ground. 

If I could get him into the sleeping bag I would cause he'd be a great insulator!

clairebear

• Sr. Poster
  • Love the mournes and a bit of fresh country air.
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2013 »

Just ordered this, went for a junior bag as the dog specific ones were twice the price.  £22 from amazon. 

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B002ZWR1FS/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Hopefully it will keep him warm enough.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2013 »

I have a small Yorkshire terrier and I'm yet to take her camping. I think she would be find as long as I kept her warm.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Eamonn

• Sr. Poster
    • http://www.hikersblog.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2013 »

I was out last night camping with my Alaskan Malamute pup Nukka, went a short distance up the Banns road and camped beside the Miners Hole River.

1. do they keep you awake all night growling at every bit of suspected wildlife that comes near?

She whined a bit when we went into the tent but once she got settled she  was fine

2. do they sleep with you in the tent or out in the porch? (i'd be worried mine would sneak out of the porch and go wandering)

I was planning to keep her in the porch but she was trying to escape under the fly sheet so i just took her inside with me

Well....she tried to eat mournemans hat  :)

Yeah the tent was covered in soily sandy stuff....i used an old tent as a test run so wasn't too worried about it getting wrecked. She made it through the night without peeing or pooing in the tent so i'm happy :) but she did puke up in my car on the way there :-X all over the handbrake lol

So i think she really enjoyed the trip and meeting the other campers, but i think i'll wait until shes a bit bigger before i take her out again.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2013 by Big E »

velvetmonkey

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2013 »

I have a Dobermann Pinscher and have camped several times with her - with varying degrees of success.

When she was younger, she had to be tethered to a tree to avoid her scarpering, only to discover she can chew through most things you can use as a tether.

When she continuously growled at the nocturnal wildlife, I used to soil myself - imagining some sort of Texas Chainsaw type episode, or hearing banjo music.

Now that she's a bit more mature, I look at it like this - she's protecting the camp and myself. If someone were to come across our pitch in the middle of the night, they would hear the low growl of a dog willing to put itself in between me and any harm.
This makes me more reassured when I go wild camping.

As for the dirt in the tent, yes - expect anything outside to be brought into the tent whether it's muck, sand or twigs.

Dobermann Pinschers are single coated dogs and not well suited to cold temperatures. She always slept inside the tent.

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2013 »

With regard to No3, I remember this one time I was camping on the slopes of Cock Mountain and this guy came up with a dog and it ate my chicken while I wasn't looking :P

There has been some chat recently about bringing the dog on camp, so how many people have tried this? and has it worked out ok? i would like to bring mine out for the night but a few things concern me.

I know every dog will be a bit different but i'd like to you how you have all got on with your pooch. I did camp once with the dog in the back garden when i was a teenager, she made a great pillow and all was going great til she emitted the smelliest fart i have ever encountered  :o the tent was quickly evacuated and defumigated.

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2013 »

Hope you fried the dog up!

LandyLiam

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
    • Team BLRC
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013 »

With regard to No3, I remember this one time I was camping on the slopes of Cock Mountain and this guy came up with a dog and it ate my chicken while I wasn't looking
I've heard of bringing pets to camp but a chicken it just rediculous  ::)
think outside, no box required

Kayakgirl

• Global Moderator
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2013 »

With regard to No3, I remember this one time I was camping on the slopes of Cock Mountain and this guy came up with a dog and it ate my chicken while I wasn't looking
;D

Stress dissolves when exposed to water..

KyleL

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2013 »

Cock Mountain too! Very good. :D
Pages: [1] 2

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]