Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Biking effects- Research  (Read 7348 times)

baramech

• Newbie Poster
Biking effects- Research
« on: November 05, 2012 »

Hey all
Was wondering if i could engage some of your well versed intellects for a bit of help. I am currently undertaking research for a photo project on the effects that bikes have on the environment. I know a few of you like to hit the trails or even head off the beaten track now and again.
So i am looking for a bit of information in the form of "Anything" on bikes effects on our landscape.
I have spent a few weeks heading to and photographing spaces where bikes have completely altered the scenery, and almost become sculptural.
So if any of you have anything to say, comparisons, locations, effects, opinions please do get back to me.
VERY much appreciated :D

Gary

Mourneman

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
    • artist rising
Re: Biking effects- Research
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2012 »

Not totally sure what you're researching,is it negative effects,tire tracks and the like?as  nearly all the MTB I know are very keen on not damaging the environment,as most bikers are also keen walkers,the same cant be said for for off road drivers & quads,would be interesting to see some photos you taken

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2012 »

I'd be interested to see where this is going. Mountain biking like any off road sport when done wrong can have a very negative impact. This isn't to say its a lasting impact and one that can't be put right.  Erosion will occour with or without the help of a wheel or a boot it's how it's managed and looked after is the most important thing. We want to Bike but we also want to be able to keep riding a spot so wrecking a trail is not in our interest.

baramech

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2012 »

Well at the moment i am mainly focusing on the aesthetic details of illegal trails a bit closer to home. Looked at a few MTB spots and a few trials bikes spots. It certainly isnt my intention to demonise any party however, certainly not without knowing a bit more. I was looking at the tracks, and how they create little pockets of land when well worn.
For example would you know of anywhere, where maybe MTB has wrecked a trail. Or even give me example where the conservation of a trail has been well kept up? What can be done to conserve it?

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2012 »

Not sure what you mean by little pockets of land.  Some trails are built in a way that they keep the flow for the rider.  Banked corners known as berms are built up so the rider can rail around these without loosing speed, braking or skidding.   

Mountain bike trails are created to be in harmony with their natural surroundings. Nature, though, likes to be in control. Trees and other plants continue to grow into the paths of riders, and weather conditions can damage or clutter the trail. Basic trail maintenance includes keeping tree limbs cut back, clearing excessive debris after storms and repairing damage to the trail such as ruts and ditches from water erosion.

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer

Rusty Madra

• Sr. Poster
  • HAS CLIMBED WITH NI WILD
    • HikersBlog.co.uk
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2012 »

In fairness I think Mountain Bikers get a harsh deal sometimes. As a Hiker myself I notice hikers can be kind of anti-mountain biking: giving off about erosion and the like: despite the fact the biggest blight on the hillsides is definately inconsiderate hikers, usually in the form of yee-ha's who drop litter everywhere, break down half the forest to set fires and leave their tents because they can't be bothered packing up. Just my two cents ::)
If you're thinking... "wait this might be a bit dangerous".... you're probably on the way to a good adventure!

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2012 »

We all have to do our bit. The mountains were there before us and they will remain after us.

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2012 »

I remember you saying this and this weekend has just proven you're point.  I know the majority of walkers aren't like this and have friends who bike or just see it as another great activity just one they don't wish to pursue.

In fairness I think Mountain Bikers get a harsh deal sometimes. As a Hiker myself I notice hikers can be kind of anti-mountain biking: giving off about erosion and the like: despite the fact the biggest blight on the hillsides is definately inconsiderate hikers, usually in the form of yee-ha's who drop litter everywhere, break down half the forest to set fires and leave their tents because they can't be bothered packing up. Just my two cents ::)

The Redbull Foxhunt which happened at the weekend was highly protested by Cavehill Conservation Group.  Redbull brought in their own Environmental Scientists to find out what the issues where.  There wasn’t any issues with plants or trees the issue was "They just didn’t want Mountain biking on their hill"  The council FULLY backed the event and the organisers had upgraded many of the trails with gravel and stone crossings at rivers, Piped under the crossings.  Strimmed the grass around the paths (Something the council don’t do on this particular trail)  There was bike washes set up to clean all bikes before leaving the park. No one was allowed to start or leave without washing the bikes.  Prevent any cross contamination from other forests etc reduce the risk of tree disease spreading.  This was all in the contract.  Also they had promised to fix up any issues after the event.  Turning mats where laid on the grass for the tractors to eradicate any mess.  All of this was improving the already eroded trail from many years of walkers and bikers.  Some of the walkers I spoke to said it was about time someone done something about the mess of the trails.  They were glad to see the improvements.  I don’t see why the Conservation Group had issues when things were being improved and upgraded.

During the event some members of the group hung about all day (Which they had every right to do)  What they didn’t have to do was pester the marshals, walk on the track to try to disrupt the event.  The event was professionally run with a world class sponsor, World Champion Rider and the eyes of the world on the Pictures and Videos that followed.

The most ALARMING thing that did happen was on Saturday night.  When the marshals finished and where leaving the Mountain someone decided to sabotage the track.  A witness seen a member of the public rip up a small bridge that was in place for the event and throw it into the trees.  Rocks and logs where pulled across the track.  Gee Atherton Former world Champion was doing a bit of filming and was on his way back down the track.  The actions of this/these mindless idiots could have seriously injured or worse.  I cannot imagine the thoughts behind someone that would do such a thing.  For the sake of two days out of the year.  The Cavehill area was still open to walkers and only one trail out of a multitude of trails was effected for part of the two days. 

BBC Newsline had a story about how this event had come here to cause disruption and effect the area.  A member of the group spoke about how they where going to the council to complain about it.  Almost implying that the event had not been sanctioned by the council.  The Council FULLY backed the event and it had to go through two meetings and a final vote to be passed.  BBC Newsline didn’t mention the fact that it had been sanctioned or that a major sponsor and a world champion had come to the area for this event, Tourism and revenue boosted for a weekend.  The report painted the event and mountain bikers in general in a terrible light.  Something positive comes here and the videos, stories and pictures are showing the world what a great place we have here.  Yet one group who want the hill to themselves get the Local Headlines.

I just wanted to share the full story and its not because I was in the event and a Mountain Biker.  This probably seems trivial to most but it's just some of the negitives we face doing a sport we love. 

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2012 »

Thanks for sharing. I agree with everything you said and I saw the Newsline report and thought at the time ' I'm sure the Belfast council already are aware of the event'. I do sometimes cycle to work and would proberly be to scared to do proper mountian biking but the hills are for everyone not just one group of people (as long as conservation is top of the agenda).
No one goes inside to clear their head

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2012 »

Lenny I've said it before and I will say it again we want somewhere we can go back to ride.  To wreck a trail or mountain is not in our agenda in exactly the same way walkers don't set out to cause erosion it happens and it's what we do about it.   

The event organisers are upgrading parts of the trail and fixing others and if you know the area it was much needed.  This was always going to be the case and the Conservation group knew this. I think rather than protest it they should have got on board and helped point out the areas that needed the work. They know how hard it is to get volunteers to help with restoration work on the area. This was an opportunity to over see it with garunteed man power.

LennyJ1

• Hero Poster
  • Has climbed with NI-Wild
    • Outdoor Gear UK
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2012 »

Lenny I've said it before and I will say it again we want somewhere we can go back to ride.  To wreck a trail or mountain is not in our agenda in exactly the same way walkers don't set out to cause erosion it happens and it's what we do about it.   

The event organisers are upgrading parts of the trail and fixing others and if you know the area it was much needed. This was always going to be the case and the Conservation group knew this. I think rather than protest it they should have got on board and helped point out the areas that needed the work. They know how hard it is to get volunteers to help with restoration work on the area. This was an opportunity to over see it with garunteed man power.

B = agree with you 100%.

I am in now way against this sort of event as long as the organisers do everything to repair or improve the area used. I know Red Bull are big into conservation.
No one goes inside to clear their head

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2012 »

Yeah as I say I know the majority of people are fine with it and like you say providing a full clean up after it. It would be a different story having an illegal race and then leavin after it doing nothing.

mregan

• Sr. Poster
    • Adventure Racer
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2012 »

Thanks for sharing. I agree with everything you said and I saw the Newsline report and thought at the time ' I'm sure the Belfast council already are aware of the event'. I do sometimes cycle to work and would proberly be to scared to do proper mountian biking but the hills are for everyone not just one group of people (as long as conservation is top of the agenda).

http://minutes.belfastcity.gov.uk/documents/s65843/Cavehill%20Mountain%20Bike%20Event.pdf

11 October 2012
The first meeting with the issues raised by the conservation Group enclosed in the minutes.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]