Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: new book?  (Read 8984 times)

pablo

• Sr. Poster
new book?
« on: October 11, 2009 »

walking round waterstones today and whos boatrace is on the shelf? none other than good looking bear ,the housewives favorite survivalist.

had a wee flick through it and was pleasantly surprised to see it was very usefull and informative ,with plenty of pictures. a book id be happy to recieve as a present to grace my bookshelves.

only thing that put me off buying it was that its a channel 4 publication.

the big question though is ,........who wrote it for him? ;D

Paul

Re: new book?
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2009 »

Were the pages plain or glossy??

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2009 »

It was Mouldsy!

Paul

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2009 »

Just wondering, glossey pages just smear the S..t when you wipe your arse with them! ;D

666_pack

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009 »

Just wondering, glossey pages just smear the S..t when you wipe your arse with them! ;D

just a question guys but why do "bushcrafters" hate bear grylls?

I noted the same trend on BCUK and always wondered why. His programmes are about survival in the extreme and seem to be a million miles away from the bushcraft ethos of being comfortable in the wilds.

all comments welcome.
LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

Paul

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009 »

I dont hate him, i have never met him. I dont like the lies though that mislead people. Obviously that isn't eddie its the media. It is more a standing joke in my mind that utter hatred. A lot of the so called survival skills shown are utter rubbish and the antics he gets up to are more likely to get you killed or seriously injured rather than help you survive. If he came to NI i would go and see him as he is supposed to be a very good motivational speaker. I have also heard that he is a pretty good climber and there is no denying his accomplishments.

pablo

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2009 »

i think hes just a television product. if you want to learn bushcraft properly yo go into the woods and get tuition ,not by turning on your television and watching some eyecandy for the ladied getting on like some big kid eating creepy crawlies and climbing trees.

all thats directed at the couch potato and fills the need it was designed for. after all,if you were given the chance to be on tv fucking about in the jungle with a mad pay-check wouldnt you do what you were told? i doubt bear grylls has very little to do with editing that show but rather does `impressive things` so people will go `ooooohh and aaaaahhhh`

i dont hate him either ,i just love it when the shows found out lol.

uncle Ray tries to teach real things that people can actually use and are within the scope of usual living.

i think the real crux of the matter is the difference between a survival situation and being comfortable in the woods. they are NOT the same thing at all.

ps did you see the knife bearing the name bear grylls? its rediculous!

also i hate to see someone killing needlessly,like chewing the head off a little snake when the fuckers probably got a steak dinner booked in the hotel later that evening.silly bastard  ;D

ulsterwalker

• Top Poster
    • Ulster Way Blog
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2009 »

I don't take anything he does too seriously, its all very sensationalist but there are some survival basics in there behind all the hype.

As most of you point to, his program is directed to a certain audience; an audience that most probably wouldn't spend the time to watch something as slow paced and insightful as R.M's shows.
You have to realise that it serves a purpose, and will direct a lot of interest towards bushcraft and survivalism in general, even if 95% of these people decide it aint what they expected, 5% will become interested and learn something, no matter how little. Everyone starts somewhere!

Anybody that wants to learn how to survive should watch all the outdoors related topics on "999" (remember that?) It was like a visual guide of what not to do when out and about

I don't know bout anyone else, but if I could get a knife with my name on it I would! That would be pretty sweet!

666_pack

• Hero Poster
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2009 »

cheers guys as I said I always wanted to ask. ;D

true his show is a bit over the top but as you say it's for entertainment but at the same time good old "uncle ray" can be as dull as dishwater guess its just horses for courses............. ;)

LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO HAVE FUN

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2009 »

I can see where the bush craft guys are comming from, but to be fair if the only "exposure" people had prior to becoming interested in the great outdoors was good old ray and his pal henry (and I'm not bashing them before you start I watch his show aswell and its very good) then I wonder how many people would still pursue their outdoor dreams! However sensationalistic bear may be he does inspire the people in a country with an every growing waist band to get active, at least untill they try something once and realise its no where near as exciting as he made it out to be, and that can't be a bad thing....cant it?

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2009 »

I can see where the bush craft guys are comming from, but to be fair if the only "exposure" people had prior to becoming interested in the great outdoors was good old ray and his pal henry (and I'm not bashing them before you start I watch his show aswell and its very good) then I wonder how many people would still pursue their outdoor dreams! However sensationalistic bear may be he does inspire the people in a country with an every growing waist band to get active, at least untill they try something once and realise its no where near as exciting as he made it out to be, and that can't be a bad thing....cant it?

I did alot of scouting etc when I was young but it was defo Uncle Ray that made me want to get back into the outdoors stuff as an adult. I think he's awesome.

chris

• Hero Poster
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2009 »

yeah I think Ray def appeals to the slighlty older generation whereas to us hip young twenty somethings its Bear grylls all the way! To each his own we all have diverse tastes and thats what makes the world work, immagine if everyone liked the same thing!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]