Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Hammock Karribiner Conversion  (Read 8936 times)

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Hammock Karribiner Conversion
« on: June 09, 2009 »

I got a set of climbing karribiners so I can cut the webbing on my hammock and attach the karribiners instead. I'm just not sure exactly what to do - anyone done this before. Also, they seem to be rated to 7kn (although they're for climbing, bought from Tiso) - is this enough to hold the weight of an adult?

DryBag

• Sr. Poster
  • every turn of the wheel is a revolution
    • Mild Excitement
Re: Hammock Karribiner Conversion
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2009 »

7KN would be a pretty heavy adult  ::).  With gravity at ~10ms-2 that would be a 700Kg load.  
I've no idea what I am in Kg, but I used an online converter and I know I'm not 112 stone.  :o

As for the conversion, I'm keen to do this too - someone gave me a couple of krabs and an old rope, I'm just not sure what's the best way to do it.  I suppose I should find a couple of trees and experiment, but I don't want to cut anything and regret it later.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009 by John »

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2009 »

I've converted mine. I'll take some photos later and post them up.

Neiltoo

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2009 »

I've read a number of posts on various forums about this and I still can't figure out the reason for it! I've been using a Hennessy Hammock for about 3 years and I can't see how using crabs would make my set up any better.

Can anyone enlighten me?
Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2009 »

Don't be closed to different ideas Neil. Using a carb makes for fast set up and take down, plus I can use the area under my tarp as a working area simply by unclipping the hammock from the carbs, leaving only the suspension cords still attached to the tree. When I want to sit down or go to sleep, I simply re-attach the hammock to the carbs and I'm in business. I'll post some pictures soon which will show how this works.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2009 by Celt_Ginger »

Neiltoo

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2009 »

Don't be closed to different ideas Neil.

;D I'm not 'closed' to any ideas, I'm just not understanding how it helps  ??? but from the way you describe how you use them I think it maybe wouldn't work with a Hennessy.
Never underestimate the power of very stupid people in large groups

Celt_Ginger

• Sr. Poster
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2009 »

I'll be out for the day on Sunday. I'll put up the Hammock and will take some pictures of how to put it up and work the Carabiner set up. It really is very simple.

Cardnim

• Newbie Poster
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2009 »

Ive been using crabs with my hammock for a while - and for all the reasons that CGinger says - except for one other one which I think is most important - it acts as a great drip loop incase it rains.

JONNO: what I would suggest m8, is that you dont cut out all the webing from your hammock. Maybe Im understanding you wrongly, but if you remove all the webbing from each end of your hammock and replace it with a crab then your hammock isnt going to sit properly. You need your crab sitting like a 'U' to get the drip loop working properly, and allow the hammock material to sit right.

All I've done is tie the webbing really close to the hammock end, then this gives you a small loop - this is where the crab hooks in.
The other length of webbing then goes from the crab to the tree.

P.S. I use quick release knots for everything (lazy!!) - a slipped bowline is great for giving you a strong loop for the crab to easily clip into, and a slipped buntline hitch works well to put the webbing onto the tree. Both knots hold under pressure yet shouldnt work loose when you get on and off the hammock.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]