Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: What does a tenner get you???  (Read 6280 times)

Glenn B

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
What does a tenner get you???
« on: October 21, 2015 »

A tenner doesn't get you much these days or does it??

What if i told you for a tenner you could get secure locked overnight parking, a boat trip, overnight camp in some ancient woodland, Sherpa's to deliver all your gear if needed to your campsite. toilet facilities and all the firewood you could burn delivered by mini tipper truck all in nice lengths right to your ready made fire pit. You would be up for it right??? its RAMS ISLAND.

SAM_0712 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

After missing out on Heggs, SpecimanYak's and D1ceman's trip a few weeks ago (didn't have enough brownie points as i'd been to hotel Annalong the previous weekend) and after seeing their photos and reading their comments on their trip i was keen to get a wee trip set up. I threw out a few feelers and was joined by a couple of fellow NI-WILDER'S Heggs and Martin. Heggs had already pre-arranged the boat and times with Michael the skipper, a 3pm sailing.
We met in Sandy Bay Marina which is where the cars would be locked up for the night and sure enough just before 3pm the boat could be seen leaving the island to come for us.

SAM_0709 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

We were joined on the boat by another group of campers(8-10 people) and there was still loads of room, i don't know how many the boat is allowed to carry but it could have easily took more with loads of gear. the journey over to the island only takes about 10 mins which is barely enough time to get a good look at it.
We moored up at a long jetty which had a couple of small trailers parked on it. Michael asked us to let the other larger group get off first and for them to put all their gear into the trailers which were then hooked up to a couple of quad bikes and transported up to their campsite, all they had to do was dander along after them. "we'll be back for your gear in a minute" i couldn't believe it Sherpa's  :o :o.  Heggs explained that our campsite was only about 200yds away so we decided to carry our own gear we were MEN after all, well all except Heggs daughter who was obviously a girl ;D ;D.
Our campsite was right on the shore of the lough in a large clearing with room enough for about 8-10 tent and 3-4 hammocks in the trees along the shoreline. We were just getting set up when we had our delivery of firewood by mini dumper truck "there you go lads if you need anymore give me a shout i'm here all night" happy days free wood. It took a while getting set up as i had hammocks and tarps to do twice, the other guys had their tents up in no time at all. By the time i'd finished faffing about Martin had a few logs split and an upside down fire lit, the plan was to explore the island a bit and by the time we got back the fire would be ready to cook on.

SAM_0691 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0692 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0693 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

The island is about a mile in length with a well defined path right up one side of it hugging the shoreline right up to a small bay with a cracking little beach.

SAM_0695 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr
SAM_0697 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0696 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0700 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

The bottom end of the island where the jetty is has another much larger campsite up on a bit of higher ground surrounded on all sides with large mature trees, this campsite could hold easily upwards of 20-30 tents all on nice flat even ground, there's a couple of large picnic tables and a large half barrel bbq, more bbq's can be brought up if needed, this area has a large NI-WILD bash written all over it 8) 8) 8)

SAM_0713 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0714 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0716 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0715 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr
Down the back of this there is an interesting old tower and the ruin of an old summerhouse. The path then continues back round to the jetty where an old Lough Neagh barge is moored up in the trees this is were the island ranger type guy stays and is also were the toilets are, you can even get yourself a half dozen free range eggs for a £1 there are chickens running about all over the place down here.

By the time we got back to the fire it was just about ready to cook on and an assortment of different meals were rustled up just as darkness fell.
It was well toastie by the fire burning all our free logs, chatting about this and that enjoying a few drinks.

SAM_0706 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0707 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

By 1am it was time to get the head down and there was still some wood left, so it was off to my hammock where i lay for a while just listening to the ripples lapping over the rocks just a few feet from me before drifting off into a very comfortable nights sleep.

The boat was taking us back at 1pm on Sunday so we wee had another wee dander about after breakfast  and took our time breaking camp before leaving for the mainland again.

SAM_0703 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0701 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0699 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0708 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0711 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

SAM_0710 by Glenn bunting, on Flickr

So there it is RAMS ISLAND a fantastic spot and a brilliant set up, if its a lazy, chilled out, relaxing camp your after this is the place to do it.

ALL FOR A TENNER!!!!!!
« Last Edit: October 21, 2015 by Glenn B »
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

whoRya

• Hero Poster
Re: What does a tenner get you???
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2015 »

Brilliant Glenn.  That report and the photos gave us all a great feel for the place.  I'd love to go there some time.  It seems like it is a repeater for all those who go there too. 
"Not all those who wander are lost."

Heggs

« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2015 »

Great write up Glenn. Hopefully that drums up a bit more interest in the place as its a wee gem.

polroger

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2015 »

Top write up and top venue.
Reason and rationality are chasing us....... but we are faster

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2015 »

Brilliant, what an awesome spot with a minimum of fuss.

Martin

• Jr. Poster
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015 »

A great night, well worth the visit. Cheers lads.

D1ceman

• Newbie Poster
  • Bearded, Biker, Hammocker, Geek
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2015 »

Very nice write up Glenn. I'm sorry I missed this trip. It is indeed a little gem of a place.

I completely agree that it would be a great spot for a larger NI Wild get together an I think we should definitely arrange it some time.

Hopefully we can sort something out again in the not too distant.

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2015 »

So how does this work .Say I  wanted to take my son and a few of his friends there. Is there certain times you cant go as I seen something about birds. Is there a limit to your stay .ie can you stay two nights .
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Glenn B

• Hero Poster
  • Keep your high hand low and your powder dry!!!
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2015 »

So how does this work .Say I  wanted to take my son and a few of his friends there. Is there certain times you cant go as I seen something about birds. Is there a limit to your stay .ie can you stay two nights .

As far as I know the boat only operates on Saturday and Sunday so this limits you to a Saturday night stay and as for the birds the island is closed to camping in around Feb March time, now I could be wrong here there was a notice on the island giving dates but I can't remember but I do recall it was around the start of the year.
Give the Island Warrior a Google where you will find contact details for Michael the boat guy for all the info.
Take your time you'll see so much more!
Without goals you cannot score!

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]