Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Fleece Liner  (Read 3676 times)

torp

Fleece Liner
« on: January 31, 2017 »

Hi guys have just purchased the snugpak chrysilis 2 sleeping bag for fat b/stards (me lol) its rated to 2 degrees comfortable but I was wondering how low I would be able to go down to with a good fleece liner? ???

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Fleece Liner
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2017 »

Is always a very personal thing sleeping bag. Some people can do a cheap Tesco sleeping bag most of the year and others need a heavy bag even in the summer. I suppose how warm you are at home in bed is a good indicator. Do you have to have a thick warm quilt and clothing of some sort in bed or are you generally toasty?

Honestly, the best plan is to test. Pack warm clothes that you can wear in bed in an emergency and see what happens  8)

It's also worth noting that if you get into a sleeping bag when you're nice and warm you'll stay warmer since the bag only traps heat so if you're not generating some then it can't work. It does no harm to do a quick bit of exercise and eat something before you leap into the bag.

torp

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2017 »

Good sensible advice Jonno but is there not a general rule of thumb like it can allow say 2 degrees below the bags comfort rating?  I understand fully what you said in your post and totally agree with it thanks.

RedLeader

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2017 »

Not that I've heard of but you could well be right. I always find that people are so different when it comes to comfort sleeping that some are too cold when it's well above the comfort rating of the bag and some are nice and warm when it's a few degrees below it. Personally I'd say a couple of degrees below sounds about right for anyone that doesn't find themselves cold at night at home as a general rule. Plus Northern Ireland rarely gets super cold. Inside a tent where windchill is less of a factor and in a forest it wouldn't often get below zero here. I've never measured but even if it was snowy, in the likes of Annalong Wood zipped in a tent I'd not expect the temperature to be much below freezing.

Good sensible advice Jonno but is there not a general rule of thumb like it can allow say 2 degrees below the bags comfort rating?  I understand fully what you said in your post and totally agree with it thanks.

torp

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2017 »

;) Thanks

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]