Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: x Mug  (Read 4457 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
x Mug
« on: January 17, 2015 »

Not so much as a review as there is little to say about them. The Sea To Summit X mug is a silicone mug that folds down flat, it has a plastic rim to help keep it's shape and will happily hold a good mugful of liquid. Turns out they also fit perfectly in the bottom of the Alpkit Brewpot. I have been after one for awhile but everywhere was sold out or selling at £15+, Amazon have got them showing back in stock and mine arrived today. Going for £12.50 with free p&p. Won't bother putting any pictures up as it's amug you can't say or show more than that. http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B004BKP4L0/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_S_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=3N9CH6IIJ8C44&coliid=I2G9HQN0FQCH3T&psc=1

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
Re: x Mug
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2015 »

I treated myself to one last year. They're pretty awesome, take up no room, very light but beyond that like you say, it's just a mug :) I'd not trade mine but I do miss the titanium one I could use to boil water in directly on the stove, that was handy.

Windy

• Top Poster
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2015 »

Try TK max  or a good pet store . They do these in all sizes for travelling with pets . An alternative at half the price
Everything is okay in the end, if it's not ok, then it's not the end

Rugged Track

• Top Poster
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2015 »

How does it compare to this cheaper one http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/EasyCamp/FoldItCup.aspx .....is it the same size etc ? there is a wee video here http://www.simplyhike.co.uk/products/EasyCamp/FoldItCup.aspx.  I was looking at these as I tend to lose and break gear.......but I have other Sea to Summit stuff and its excellent. I do have one of these fold a cup http://www.amazon.co.uk/Helikon-Swedish-Folding-Camping-Hiking/dp/B005DKH2SU, video
   but it is the small version but really light  and robust but it doesn't go down flat like the Sea to Summit but I do like it.

whoRya

• Hero Poster
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2015 »

That easy camp mug says it is 350g.  The STS one is 60g.  Given that some people will consider spending £100 or more to save 300g on a sleeping bag, rucksack, or jacket it's a fair weight difference.  That said it does come with a case and karabiner.  Perhaps that is where the weight is?

A wee bit of weight isn't the be all and end all either though.

But the concept of these is great, I'd imagine they come into their own for long distance backpackers, for whom space is a premium.

"Not all those who wander are lost."

Rugged Track

• Top Poster
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2015 »

There is a big weight difference.  300g is quite a lot for such a small item.  I like Sea to Summit stuff.  I like how flat it goes too.  Great concept.  Thanks for the review very interesting.

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2015 »

My main reason for the X-mug was to help keep my pot clean, I already make my own boil in bag food so it meant I was just needing to clean off drink stains. However at times you can end up a little pressed for water and so I wanted the ability to keep my boiling pot spotless. No left on crud meant no chance of anything burning which in turn means I always get the maximum efficiency of the pot when boiling water. I haven't ever seen the cheaper Easy Camp one before but it looks like pretty much the same thing, slightly smaller and lacking the firm plastic rim. However at nearly 1/3 of the price I would be buying them as replacements rather than the X-mug in future.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]