Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Author Topic: Randalestown forest help  (Read 5513 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Randalestown forest help
« on: June 23, 2013 »

I'm thinking of camping out down near the lough next weekend, ideal spot would be just down by the bird watching hut. It's onky going to be a quick overnight as im atm shanes castle game fair both saturday and sunday so its just a handy spot to stay to avoid driving each day.

Anyone ever camped there before and can tell me of any problems? The signs say the forest is open 10am -sunset but does either the forest or car park get checked? I was hoping to leave the car in the world of owls car park so I have a short gentle walk down. I'm not going to be lighting any fires and only using a tarp to minimise damage so if a warden sees me how likely am i to be moved on etc?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Wolf_Larson

• Hero Poster
  • Adventure
Re: Randalestown forest help
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2013 »

Great idea mate, but cant help you sorry.
The core of mans' spirit comes from new experiences.

Craigy123

• Top Poster
    • Pro Sound NI
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013 »

No the forest isn't checked, and I dont believe there is a gate on the forest these days. there is a gate on the road just at the entrance to the car park but I'm unaware of it being locked. You will be plagued with flies. There are a few great spots in the forest to camp though. I'm sure if you park up the lane and walk down no one would say anything. I personally think people like yourself would raise awareness of how to actually behave in a place like this. I was down a few weeks ago and its pretty badly littered, I think mainly from flood waters.... which leads to another thought, make sure its not after heavy rain or the level of the lough will come up slightly. All the best.
Take nothing but memories, Leave nothing but footprints!

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2013 »

Had some good tips boh here and in a pms so thanks to all. Figured i would go ahead and chance it, also noticed that while the local bylaws technically state no tents/bashas, in a worst case there is no law stopping me throwing a sleeping bag in the birding hut. 8)

But out of decency i've sent an email to mark at world of owls to let them know i intend to leave the car there, bit ofuck and they will be decent folk and not look at it as a security risk etc.

So fingers crossed and all will no doubt be revealed come sunday morning.

sjh1

• Top Poster
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2013 »

Is the car park a wee bit dodgy there? Last year somebody was assaulted or had the car nabbed or something. Can't remember details.

Re. the flies (as you probably know) they're 'Lough Neagh' non-biting midge so while there'll be millions of them they're no bother at all. In parts of Africa they collect the same species in pots and make burgers from them ... maybe worth a try!
What would the world be, once bereft
Of wet and of wildness? Let them be left,
O let them be left, wildness and wet;
Long live the weeds and the wilderness yet.

... from 'Inversnaid' by Gerard Manley Hopkins.

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]

Hen Mountain Wild Camp by Rugged Track [November 28, 2019]