Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Follow NI-Wild

Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Trekking food  (Read 11710 times)

Rich.H

• Has Camped With NI-Wild
  • Hero Poster
Re: Trekking food
« Reply #15 on: July 21, 2015 »

So to be clear, you just make whatever mean as normal, leave it to cool, bung it in the pouch, iron shut and Bob's yer Aunt's husband?

Noble 98 16cm x 10cm will hold enough beans for two . I normally use cocktail sausages .cook in oven prior to trip .put in with beans and Heat( bit of bacon too). You can boil in bag or use a pot whatever you like . with a family pot would be quicker. You can make up any pre meals , spag bol chilii con carne ,stew etc . seal in bag .Just remember not to keep them for too long without eating . normal food rules should apply . Make up night before and put in fridge and they should be good for two days.

You can leave it to cool but I prefer to do mine while it is still hot, ideally as close to cooking as possible. If you are just making food the night before a trip then 99% of the time you will be fine, but if you were to make something and allow it to cool in an open environment you are increasing your chances of the nasties getting in and thus having to take three rolls of loo paper on the trip. If you fill and seal the bag the moment the food is cooked you are doing something similar to canning food, this means the heat in the sealed bag kills any bugs and there is then no way for any more to get in until you open it to heat up again. In theory this way you should be able to happily make food in advance and leave it for a good month or so with no problems. I tend to do exactly this with stuff like curry and bolognese as it is cheaper and easier to make a large pot than faff with small amounts each time.

However I'm no chef so don't complain to me if you copy me and get the squirts, I just happen to have guts of iron and so laugh in the face of stomach nasties. 8)

RedLeader

• Hero Poster
« Reply #16 on: July 21, 2015 »

Interesting. Do you need to do anything to remove air from the pouch and does the hot food not cause the pouch to expand?

Rich.H

• Hero Poster
« Reply #17 on: July 21, 2015 »

Interesting. Do you need to do anything to remove air from the pouch and does the hot food not cause the pouch to expand?

I tend to just never fill a pouch more than 3/4 so that when it is then sealed you have room to lay it flat and allow the contents to spread out into the space. This way you get a more even packet rather than a big bulging thing. For general packing it is easier for me this way and I would rather have to mess about and heat up two pouches of food that pack away well. The bags are touch things and you would have a hard time causing them to burst or split but I figure it just isn't worth the hassle to risk it, a beans covered pack just doesn't fill me with warm feelings when on a mountain.

As for expansion when reheating (I am guessing that is what you mean) I haven't noticed much of that going on. You do get a little of it but they only sit in the water for perhaps 5-10 minutes tops, that is going from cold water to hot food. There isn't enough time for any real amount of pressure build up to cause things to go boom.
Pages: 1 [2]

Bottom Sponsor

Recent Topics

Lough Shannagh by Scribble [March 22, 2023]

Where has everyone gone? by Glenn B [March 02, 2023]

Hello 👋🏻 by RedLeader [March 13, 2022]

Overnighter on 21st August by Wolf_Larson [November 02, 2021]

crabbing by Glenn B [July 19, 2021]

Slieive Binnian Hike by Rugged Track [November 06, 2020]

Silent Valley by Binnianboy [June 28, 2020]

Is it safe... by Rugged Track [June 02, 2020]

You've got a mention... by NorthernSky [December 12, 2019]